Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
EASY BUY AT STUY 'HIGH'
    #3488229 - 12/12/04 11:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nypost/20041212/lo_nypost/easybuyatstuyhigh

Local - New York Post

EASY BUY AT STUY 'HIGH'

Sun Dec 12, 3:33 AM ET
By LINDSAY POWERS and ANGELA MONTEFINISE

Students at Stuyvesant HS are buzzing ? and it's not about their SAT scores.

The school, considered one of the best in the city and which has produced four Nobel laureates, has an outdoor black market where students brazenly exchange drugs, get high and sell illegal cigarettes in broad daylight.

And these pupils are open about it; they cheerfully chatted with a Post reporter and photographer and didn't attempt to hide their actions.

In a single hour, The Post witnessed two students exchanging what they admitted was LSD and marijuana; eight students inhaling nitrous oxide from a bright, blue balloon; and two students hawking almost a dozen packs of cigarettes from knapsacks.

The action all took place in an area on the far west side of Chambers Street, against a brightly painted wall outside the TriBeCa Bridge, which serves as a walkway to the school over busy West Street.

"The wall," as it's called, is less than a block away from the school, and most students pass through the area at least twice a day.

After school, dozens of them gather every day ? and they're not comparing class notes.

On Thursday, The Post witnessed two students trade what appeared to be a tin of LSD for a baggie of pot while sitting on the wall.

"I need a dime bag," one of the students said to his friend. "Oh, never mind, make that a half-ounce. I've got a big weekend."

The other student, calmly flipping his cellphone on and off, responded that he needed "acid," or LSD, for a "rave" he planned to attend over the weekend.

The classmates then exchanged contraband. One handed over a plastic bag about the size of a flattened baseball. The other extended a silver box similar to a cigarette holder, which he said contained five "tabs." Then the students placed the drugs in their book bags.

Such daily deals are no secret to Stuyvesant students.

"You can get pot here," one freshman said. "You can get some 'ecstasy' here. But you can get that at any school."

Students said cigarettes are hotter sellers than drugs.

A small group of business-savvy pupils take advantage by illegally selling packs of foreign cigarettes ? bought on the Internet on the cheap and sold for $4 a pack ? to fellow students, most of them underage.

While the illicit marketplace is known to every student, it seems cops and educators are either in the dark or turning a blind eye.

A teacher last month was seen smoking a cigarette with students at "the wall."

A police source said the high school is not viewed as a trouble spot or given extra patrol attention.

A Department of Education (news - web sites) spokesman touted the school as one of the city's safest and best. When confronted with The Post's observations, he said officials would look into it.

The number of crimes reported at the school last year ? five major ones and three minor ? is far below the citywide average for schools of Stuyvesant's size.

The 3,000-student, specialized high school ? where students must pass a rigorous test gain admission ? has no metal detectors.

The activity going on at the school is illegal ? cigarettes must have tax stamps and must be sold by licensed vendors, and only to people over 18.

As for drugs, the criminal sale of a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school is a class-B felony, with a maximum sentence of 30 years.

State law prohibits the sale of nitrous oxide to minors, although there is no penalty for sniffing it. "You just get dead," said one law-enforcement official, referring to the occasionally severe health risks of inhalants.

The substance ? also known as laughing gas ? can cause hallucinations and oxygen deprivation if inhaled in high concentrations. It produces an instant rush.

Stuyvesant officials did not return several messages seeking comment.

A Department of Education spokesman, reached late on Friday, said he couldn't comment on incidents happening outside school grounds but said the agency would investigate.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: EASY BUY AT STUY 'HIGH' [Re: motaman]
    #3488299 - 12/12/04 11:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

]

"oh no the children the children, won't somebody think of the children!"

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Edited by gdman (12/13/04 12:07 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #3489473 - 12/13/04 04:23 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The number of crimes reported at the school last year ? five major ones and three minor ? is far below the citywide average for schools of Stuyvesant's size.

Bwahahaha well no shit.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3490002 - 12/13/04 08:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
"I need a dime bag," one of the students said to his friend. "Oh, never mind, make that a half-ounce. I've got a big weekend."

haha, now THAT'S the school spirit I like to see.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: EASY BUY AT STUY 'HIGH' [Re: Twirling]
    #3490305 - 12/13/04 11:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I work, and am sitting at work now, about six blocks from that Wall...it's gonna be a fun lunch break! Ha.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service