Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRambone
The 48thAmerican
 User Gallery

Questionable fruits
    #3484655 - 12/12/04 01:50 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Alright, so I had to leave my small grow for about 2 weeks. The 2nd flush had just finished, and whne I returned, (the cakes had been sitting in the dark), the fruiting chamber smelled fairly sour. I took them out into the light and they began to grow almost instantly. One of the cakes sported what looked very much to be penecillium, so I immediately chucked it and it's fruits. The other 3 cakes seem to be doing fine, I just picked two large ones off one of the cakes, but they smell a little odd. I'm not sure if it's just more... mushroomy, or a little tart, or what, so I included some photos.

the inside looks a bit off-color. Much darker yellow/brown tint than most have, and there does not seem to be much/any blue bruising. They don't smell bad, just slightly stronger than most i've grown.

On one of the other cakes, there was this odd looking one.

It had a large clump of bruising myc fuzz at the base, but what looked suspicious was what appears to be a small bit of foamy-rhizomorphic growth on the cap of the mushroom, sort of enveloping it.

Anyway, do these look safe to consume? Besides for the slight-off smell, they really don't look out of the ordinary.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Questionable fruits [Re: Rambone]
    #3486120 - 12/12/04 02:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The 'slick' look to some of those caps makes me think the rH was a little too high. Regardless, those well-formed ones should be safe to consume, though I'd recommend drying them well beforehand. There's the possibility of a low-level pseudomonas or other bacterial population that might be responsible for the smell. Usually there is darkening or bluing in that case, so odds are they're fine. Quick and complete drying will take care of it.

I'd remove that foamy sucker ASAP. Be careful not to spread any of it around, wash your hands after handling it, etc.

OfflineRambone
The 48thAmerican
 User Gallery

Re: Questionable fruits [Re: Suntzu]
    #3486202 - 12/12/04 02:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks alot!

The foamy one I thought twice about and removed about 5 minutes after making the post. Did NOT look right. Any idea what that could be?

I tried bruising the larger mushrooms around the base of the stem and they do indeed seen to bruise blue, though unlike most mushrooms, these haven't bruised blue just picking and drying, I had to damage these. Is it possible that they are less potent because of the lack of humidity & uncirculated air for 2 weeks?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum