Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Limited enviromental conditions. What do u think?
    #3482473 - 12/11/04 04:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have an area that is a controlled climate at 75 deg F, with a light but no outlets. The room is also a remote area that will not be tended to but weekly. The room is better compared to a large walkin closet, estimated probably at probably 5'x 8'x8'. The setup will be 4-6 rubbermaid contained bulk terrariums.

They will be operating solely off their own humidity.

For non electric air exchange I am going to cut large filtered ventilation holes right at the casing layer level, either a series of holes or long rectangular strips, allowing the heavier CO2 to fall/drain out under gravity.

I am also considering an oxygen tank for either the general room or somehow rigged to the terrariums, but I don't know if you can get a batterized regulator to gradually dispense it.

I would like to reiterate and point out that:
- I do not have an electrical outlet.
- I will not be fanning more frequently than 5 days
- I do have light
- I have a steady 72-78 deg F climate

They are somewhat significant hinderances, but it's what I have to deal with should this room be available to my use. From my point of view, the sacrifice of optimal environmental conditions is greatly outweighed by the safety and practicality of my situation.

Please critique my plans and give me suggestions or even reaching ideas that comply with these conditions.

Edited by spliffmasta (12/11/04 04:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3482522 - 12/11/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If the filter is gonna allow enough air exchange for fruiting it is also gonna let out moisture. If it keeps in enough moisture for you not to mist there will most likely be problems with you going there every 5 days for airing them out

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: Magash]
    #3482610 - 12/11/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Do you think that a balance could be achieved allowing enough air exchange without losing too much humidity? Possibly if each tub had an evaporating iodine solution reservoir supplementing it?

If there was a batterized regulator for an oxygen tank, do you think that would suffice? I see regulators down to .12 LPM, how much oxygen do they need?

What if I could do it every 3 days, that's minimum?

Edited by spliffmasta (12/11/04 05:38 PM)

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3482841 - 12/11/04 05:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

have you read the double tubs thread? It might be something useful for your situation.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3482940 - 12/11/04 06:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

No I haven't read it, extremely useful to my situation. What is the point of having the second tub, why not just drill holes in the lid of my rubbermaids, then at the casing level?

What about using these things:
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-4474&ref=414
lined with plastic.
They are 18", that's 10" above my casing layer.

Edited by spliffmasta (12/11/04 06:33 PM)

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
    #3483059 - 12/11/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Spliff,

I got lucky with my first and only grow. No fanning, misting, or heat. I looked at it now and then, but that was it. Here's the result.

That's a glass dome on a plate with a PF cake inside. You might be able to do the same with a tub if you don't crowd it too much.

One thing that concerns me is the 5 day interval. Your crop might be ready to pick on Monday. If you don't get there till Friday, your babies could turn to compost. That would be mushroom abuse, and I'd have to speak very sternly to you.  :mad:

Late edit.
An oxygen tank with a slow leak in an unattended area is probably not a good idea. The fire department will tell you that after their work is done. If you are married to this idea, consider compressed air instead.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Edited by ticktock (12/11/04 06:49 PM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: ticktock]
    #3483141 - 12/11/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You might try a battry operated air pump.Fishing dept. at walmart.

The double tub allows more humid air space(I think thats what I read.Thats a long thread) and bulk creates heat.Got to be some kind of air currents moving around in there.Sounds good but not what I need.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: KaptKid]
    #3483148 - 12/11/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

So will a double tub help if there is no air current at all?

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#3483782 - 12/11/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

spliffmasta said:
So will a double tub help if there is no air current at all?

I really wish I knew the answer to that.

From my observations in a pmp with 2 in's perlite/1in water.Hand fanning and misting.Spores have drop on the perlite,If closes,on the pmp side.Leaving a pattern.Not always straight down.Sometimes higher than the shroom it came from .Also keep in a room with out vents.
I believe the current came from the wicking effect of the perlite.

This double tub also has filtered holes.

There's just got to be natural currents and the extra space helps.
Posablity it would work better than fair.
You must also take in the fact I've been stoned since 1969. :grin:

--------------------

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: KaptKid]
    #3483821 - 12/11/04 09:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I wonder how long a batterized air pump would last.

Also how do invitro grows survive with no air exchange?

Edited by spliffmasta (12/11/04 09:17 PM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#3483914 - 12/11/04 09:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

spliffmasta said:
I wonder how long a batterized air pump would last.

Also how do invitro grows survive with no air exchange?

Good Questions.Any of our Mods not out parting tonight?(I hope you are)

--------------------

Invisibledressel11
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Milky Way
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What do u think? [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3484900 - 12/12/04 01:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i'm still confused about double tubs if you put hold near the casing layer of the bottom tub then put another tub in that wont those holes just get covered up?

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What do u think? [Re: dressel11]
    #3484920 - 12/12/04 01:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That's not how a double tub works. Read the thread that is linked in this thread.

I do have a question about how the double tub does work though:
Does the double tub method require that there is an air current outside the tub? I think that I saw mention of this in the thread, but I don't know how this would help air circulation and diffusion inside the tub. Does the CO2 oozing out the bottom holes PULL air in through the top holes?

Invisibledressel11
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Milky Way
    #3484932 - 12/12/04 01:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

oh. thank you.

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? *DELETED* [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3485047 - 12/12/04 02:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by bumper

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

Edited by bumper (12/12/04 02:15 AM)

OfflineFatalshatter
Shroom to theDoom!

Loc: Shroom land lol
Re: Limited enviromental conditions. What can you come up with? [Re: bumper]
    #3485130 - 12/12/04 02:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ahhh I'm so happy I haven't tried to grow shrooms yet lol.

I usually just get them from my friend but since he moved, I have to make my own....I'm going to start with a Spore bag for my first time growing.....after a few bags(lol)...THEN I'll try the natural way.

But since I'm new to the whole shroom growing scene it's best that I start little with the spore bags....they seem really easy.

I've been studying my ass off....reading about indoor shroom growth and spore bag growth, basically the whole 9...so soon I'll be educated enough to do what most of you guys do.....which is the natural indoor way.

My first spore bag will have the GT strain.....YUMMY :thumbup: :heart: :biggrin: :inlove:

Edited by Fatalshatter (12/12/04 02:40 AM)

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3485671 - 12/12/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

spliffmasta said:
Does the double tub method require that there is an air current outside the tub? I think that I saw mention of this in the thread, but I don't know how this would help air circulation and diffusion inside the tub. Does the CO2 oozing out the bottom holes PULL air in through the top holes?

Can someone answer these?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3487892 - 12/12/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thats the idea spiff.

Despite what everyones "theories" are on what it would do, eatualive is an excellent mycologist and I would trust the results. That is where I saw the idea and why I mentioned it originally. I'm unsure as to why the double tubs work better other then a larger air pocket to create a little better airflow and capture humidity better. Iamawalrus may have ended up trying it out and he has worked a good deal with bulk and I would also trust hs opinion. I would imagine a single tub would work just as well but can't be sure.

The only people who can tell you are those who have actually tried it..not those who have theories on what it would do. I've seen a goodnumber of neglect teks that involve no active air exchange, only passive such as this..only one way to find out for sure..

Personally I'd do a run with a two tub and one modified with a single tub. Of course checking every 5 days could pose a problem if they are say 2 inches tall when you check on them..5 days later they'll have made one hell of a spory mess of the casing.

Sounds something like a stoage shed..is the light hardwired to a switch? Will you be able to add a timer?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies