Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineteslapark
cultivator

Loc: USA
Mystery Mycelium! The experiment...
    #3481350 - 12/11/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The mystery saga begins...

The other day I was over at a buddy's house, about to help myself to a nice big glass of apple juice from the fridge. Immediately upon pouring I realized my friend has poor fridge maintenance skills, while simultaneously discovering several hunks of fresh mycelium floating in the juice!

Being the geeky mycophile, I returned back immediately with a fresh clean syringe to take the sample. I can't help but want to know what species this is.

The plan is to inoculate some sterilized wild bird seed with the culture, and then do a grain transfer to a variety of substrates for fruiting.

Isn't science fun? Any experimental suggestions are most welcome, plus any hypotheses as to species and vector of transmission.

I'll keep ya posted.

Adam

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Mystery Mycelium! The experiment... [Re: teslapark]
    #3481416 - 12/11/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Why was there mycellium floating in apple juice? :drooling:

--------------------

OfflineKingkole
im not a noob...im a a doob

Loc: canadiana
Re: Mystery Mycelium! The experiment... [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3481459 - 12/11/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you are gonna get a nice big jar of mold i bet

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3481725 - 12/11/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you think it'll grow an apple tree? i wouldn't bother with that experiment, but uh, go ahead.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
    #3481826 - 12/11/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That's bound to be some type of mold. Most likely penicillium sp. or some other nasty. I would not suggest transferring to other substrates. You might end up getting a large amount of some really nasty contaminants. Not good at all.

If you do plan on going through with this then please take precautions to make sure you (or anyone else) are not exposed to the spores/mycelium of this unknown.

--------------------

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Mystery Mycelium! The experiment... [Re: Alkaloids]
    #3481990 - 12/11/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

:idea: bright idea!

--------------------

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #3482188 - 12/11/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

teslapark said:
The mystery saga begins...

The other day I was over at a buddy's house, about to help myself to a nice big glass of apple juice from the fridge. Immediately upon pouring I realized my friend has poor fridge maintenance skills, while simultaneously discovering several hunks of fresh mycelium floating in the juice!

Just because something looks like "mycelium" doesn't make it mycelium. Sperm in water looks like "mycelium", doesn't mean you can grow mushrooms from it.

Quote:

Being the geeky mycophile, I returned back immediately with a fresh clean syringe to take the sample. I can't help but want to know what species this is.

Good luck. I can tell you want species it isn't. It isn't a mushroom species.

Quote:

The plan is to inoculate some sterilized wild bird seed with the culture, and then do a grain transfer to a variety of substrates for fruiting.

Again, just because it looks like mycelium doesn't mean that it is. It also doesn't mean you can "fruit" it like you fruit cubensis. You would be fruiting something like penicillin or trich.

Quote:

Isn't science fun? Any experimental suggestions are most welcome, plus any hypotheses as to species and vector of transmission.

I'll keep ya posted.

Suggestion - don't waste your time, risk your health, contaminate your growing/living area.

Hypothesis - Sounds like regular mold from the air finally started growing on very old apple juice.

Course if it was really hard apple cider that started to ferment and then change to vinegar, it could be a mother, which would be dead yeast.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures