Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat-a-pult, Pingu Slap

Loc: SoCal
What if...? seriously i want to know what yuo think.
    #3481999 - 12/11/04 04:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

if you could have chosen with your own free will when you were 5,to go to school, and be tought whatever "they" wanted for the next 7 hours..would you have gone? if you could have made the choice would you have chosen to go go for the next 280 days? would you have chosen by yourself to go then again for the next 14 years of your life?

knowing what i know now..nope. because after all that wasted time i lost much more than i gained. i realized this then i dropped out. i dropped out with a G.P.A of 3.8.3. i took the GED and scored 99% on all but one of the 6 tests. does that matter? nope. all i needed to learn i could have learned by myself when i wanted to learn it. if i never cared what the formula for energy is..i would never have chosen to learn that e=mc^2.  right now i know that all of my A's in class meant nothing!! they just made others feel bad because they got a D or C or an F. i learned in school how to judge people by thier looks and how much shit they had. i learned to stand in single file fasion (only helpful when at 6 flags) i learned that if i dont get an A ill never pass ill never graduate and never have enough $$$$ to pay attention. im gratefull to have been tought because i am very book smart. i know all kinds of shit i never would have wanted to know. but yet i do. im not in school now but i still learn everyday what i wish to learn. and i always get an A  :grin: :heart: :thumbup:

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinechucksteak
Stranger

Loc: saskatchewan, canada
Re: What if...? seriously i want to know what yuo think. [Re: uriahchase]
    #3482054 - 12/11/04 04:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

but how will you get money for the rest of your life? i agree school mostly sucks, but it's a necessary evil in this society.

--------------------
DON'T PANIC

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3482064 - 12/11/04 04:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I would have had things happen exactly the same as they did for me.

I pose for you this one very obtuse response that may make you rethink your answer:

If I had not experienced everything in my life exactly as I have experienced it, I would not be the person that I am today.

The only way I would say I would "if I could" change anything in my history would be if I was not happy with who I am.

And I am happy with who I have become, and who I am becoming, so I would change nothing.

Edited by JacquesCousteau (12/11/04 05:11 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: What if...? seriously i want to know what yuo think. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3482518 - 12/11/04 06:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"What if, newer was but end to end"
-unknown :P

"One that movent, the One liven.
One moved by, unwares life..."
-unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy

Re: What if...? seriously i want to know what yuo think. [Re: Gomp]
    #3483196 - 12/11/04 09:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

im just implying that "if" we were alowed to learn when and what we wanted, and were'nt spoonfed all the evils that are at school...we as a peeople would have grown to be less materialistic, hurtful, inconsiderate, etc. Instead we are products of the public educational machine. Money? who gives a shit!? money isn't real. that's the problem. everyone grows up thinking they need this or that when fuck.-they already have it all. children have something special that i lost partly due to school. happines,innocense, joi de vie joy of life! there is sooo much more important things to learn that "their" curriculum does not teach. and will never teach. make sense?

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3483216 - 12/11/04 09:15 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

and how did you 'learn' this? :wink: :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy

Re: What if...? seriously i want to know what yuo think. [Re: Gomp]
    #3483232 - 12/11/04 09:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

on my own.
by my own.
in my own...not in home room thats for damn sure.:)

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3483350 - 12/11/04 09:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

were you alowed to learn when and what you wanted? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3484045 - 12/11/04 11:40 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i mostly agree with you. simply my answer is also no.

school is more than "learning" history, english math etc. its social education. because in our society (western 1st world type at least) we are really quite loners. when i think about it all we tend to do is think we HAVE to get a job and work 5/7 days a week, give or take. why? so we can pay our taxes, bills, buy a house, raise a family. im not saying that is a bad thing but we, or I, have really lost a lot of people skills skills in doing so.

so in this particular society, even though the schools are really pieces of shit with very closed minds (as is this statement) its sort of a necessary evil in this place.

the thing i think people say too much and generalize about is kids dont like learning. pure and utter bullshit. do kids like playing? thats learning motor skills, life skills, people skills. do kids hate tv? like it or not theres lots to be learned there. do kids hate going outside and getting dirty? stupidly large amounts to be learned in the outdoors.

we need to stop attaching learning with schools so much cause it makes kids look like un great full ass holes when they really just dont like to be slaved around being fed shit they dont want to hear. its like being a mental slave. by that i mean there is really very little difference in the black slaves and the schools. slaves were kept to do work for the white doods. they tended to their kids, plowed their fields, and cleaned house. schools dont do that but they are kinda doing some things the same way. first its the law to go to school. thats not free, however valuable it may be. they use kids to basically show how good a job they do. teachers teach kids the importance of spelling, arithmetic, resume building how to figure shit out in an academic way. which is good. but to force a generation of people who do not wish to go and to teach them only partial aspects on life is not what i consider schooling. teach them what drugs are really about, tech them how to grow a garden, filter water, build shelter, find foods in the wilderness. things that when you get down to it are basic life or death skills. nuclear wars comes who gives a fuck if you can spell some fancy word. get lost hiking in the middle of china? better know how to divide fractions.

another thing that gets me is the whole teachers are babysitters trip. maybe, but they need to know their place and not over step that. they are teachers first. teach. egos run high and more and more kids are not taking it anymore. teachers/adults can be and are bullies too. just cause they are loosing their hair doesnt make them the almighty.

but i think there are a lot more important matters than kids being pushed through the play-doo factory.

i say no but not really a yes or no question in my opinion. teh best schooling is the expensive choosable schooling. at elast tehn you can be motivated and interested in life.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Loc: New Earth
Re: What if...? seriously i want to know what yuo think. [Re: kadakuda]
    #3484128 - 12/11/04 11:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If you had no knowledge of what pre destination or free will was then you wouldn't even discuss it. And if we don't have free will then why would we be able to know of such a thing?

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: What if...? seriously i want to know what yuo think. [Re: AreoZephin]
    #3484146 - 12/11/04 11:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

good point. maybe its jsut the fear of abandonment that ensures us to go through the schooling system.

--------------------

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

#3484291 - 12/12/04 12:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What do you mean? Fearing of not relying on someone or something?

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3484592 - 12/12/04 01:38 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yup. whether that be loss of house and home, family, friends, smarts, money, acceptance, or whatever. if i did not fear being job less, broke, homeless i would not attend school. kids dont seem to be going cause they love to go there (past grade 4ish). i just think theres more than mom and dad saying they should go. surely millions of kids are jsut going on that.

--------------------

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

#3484633 - 12/12/04 01:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Oh well yeah, that's what I think. But now days relating to history of the past, the government has control over the school system and it's the way it is today because they want the country to gain more knowledge for war later in the youth's ages. I'm 19, I dropped out when I was 17 and I said fsck this useless information. Now I'm on my way to college for Video Game Design / Philosophy on the side.

Half Life, me being a Black Mesa Scientist?! Screw that. I rather be a Gordon figure.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3484703 - 12/12/04 01:59 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

lots of drop outs here :smile:  i too droped at 17.  life teaches what it does, far more relavent info than in school.  but i will never say school is useless info, just not much application in the normal joe's life.

i wish i could finger paint and sing in a circle again.  without being called a dirty hippy at least.

but its better than being sent out hunting and fighting tribes or birthing kids at 12.  i'll take school over that any day :smile:  but neither is preferable.

--------------------

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy

#3485368 - 12/12/04 09:07 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i posed this question for a reason...which i dont remember anymore. :strokebeard:  it just makes me sad to think about what this world might have been "if" only my parents and their parents and so on, had only let us BE. happy, content, innocent, caring, un-judgmental,etc. we would all be happier people!

but for now im grouchy and tired cuz i just got off work.  :hellfire: :guns:  thanks for the responses!

--------------------

InvisibleHendostan
Male

#3485483 - 12/12/04 10:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i wouldn't change a thing...for all the time i wasted in high school, there were one or two teachers that really affected me and changed my life, including teaching me how to play drums and learning about jazz music, to be specific. our band became like a family, and we were damn good (3rd in the state to be exact). i had a blast. i learned what friendhship and love meant. i also had who i consider to be the best history teacher in the country. in that class i think we spent maybe 2 days out of the year in the classroom taking tests. the rest of the time we were out on field trips actually experiencing the history of our area, talking to people, following maps, hiking, etc..i went to the majority of my classes stoned, if i went at all, and graduated with a 3.7..i don't remember much, but what i do remember holds a value that couldn't have been matched had i tried to do it on my own.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology