Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Modern day mushroom cults
    #3476703 - 12/10/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've been listening a lot to Terence McKenna lately. Especially to True Hallucinations.
While I seriously doubt most of his wild theories, his writings and recordings are always amusing and thought provoking.

But say, for the sake of argument, that the mushroom really did come to humanity to help us enter a new phase of existence, wouldn't there be mushroom cults sprouting left right and center?

So here are my questions:

Do you know of the existence of modern mushroom cults? What are they like?
Or, if you would start a mushroom religion, what would it look like? Will there be mushroom temples? What would be it's teachings? What would be it's symbols? What rituals would there be?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Loc: nj
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: koppie]
    #3476759 - 12/10/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i thought about this before.. id say look at the allman brothers iconography. especially in the 70s. the mushroom art is everywhere.. music, dancing, consuming of mushrooms. ceremony, ritual. seems to have all the similar constituency. of course much lost and watered down because it is not conciously done

--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog

OM

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: bmarley3434]
    #3478032 - 12/10/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

your logged on to a mushroom cult right now.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #3478038 - 12/10/04 06:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well most people aren't going to have an open cult about illegal drugs. i think that would be shut down pretty quickly, at least where I live. I'm positive that in people do eat mushrooms in places thailand and other areas mostly South America as a group or a tribe. I don't know about a "cult" persay. Anyway, in America people look down on psycadelics as drugs that hurt you so its hard to start an organization.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: Todcasil]
    #3478043 - 12/10/04 06:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

(we are all at this place in the name of the mushroom) :laugh:

symbology, the sporeprints around heads (halos) blue woudl be the sacred color... i dunno, im already in a mushroom cult, and the nature of it  varies widley based on peron and attitude.

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3478111 - 12/10/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If anything, mushrooms have made me more cautious of organized religion. I've had my own spiritual insights which would be impossible to share with others, so organizing around them would be equally impossible. Maybe that's what others are experiencing as well: Not so much a mushroom-oriented religion, but rather an individualized, mushroom-oriented spiritual mindset.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: silversoul7]
    #3478174 - 12/10/04 06:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: gnrm23]
    #3478265 - 12/10/04 06:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"Do you know of the existence of modern mushroom cults? What are they like?"

well its called the festus collective, and its a loose organization of close friends who imbibe the sacred mushroom for euphoria. wisdom, bonding, revelation and fun.

The tenants are good vibes, pushing limits, mutual support in case of bad trips, and deep conversation

art creating is encouraged, as is total honesty without fear or scorn.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Edited by Moonshoe (12/11/04 02:46 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3479413 - 12/10/04 10:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

What about sex? Tell us of the moonlight orgies that go on for hours (even if you have to make it up).

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: Swami]
    #3479771 - 12/10/04 11:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"Or, if you would start a mushroom religion, what would it look like? Will there be mushroom temples? What would be it's teachings? What would be it's symbols? What rituals would there be?"

Uh. A mushroom cult might look something like Hinduism (Soma = Amanita Muscaria). Or not.

If I started my own religion it would be about getting people to be more creative in their lives, realize their own potential. Rather then claim to be a guru I would acheive superguru status by claiming not to be a guru just a fellow traveler farther along. Then I would subvert psychedelic art and parts of psychedelic religions like buddhism and hinduism, as well as psychology liturature and mythology, to have lots of cool stories. I could claim that most world religions have gone astray by losing touch with the fact that people need to have their own religious experiences, and ethnogens are the best way to do this. This way, I could claim Hinduism, and christianity as truely belonging to me. I would point to my followers that a common error is to assume that the cosmic consciouness makes you god, this is the error jesus, otherwies an all right guy, made.

And there would be a sacrament where the initiate goes to a very isolated area for 4 days, and under the supervision of an experienced guide fasts for four days, eating mushrooms twice a day, while undergoing spiritual cleansing, bonding with outdoor rituals, a ritual where one confronts all ones fears and guilt, and one where listen to good music (like Tool or some good electronic stuff) while meditating.

Further the cult would have a secretive element to it. Initiation would require undergoing the rigourous 4 day psilocybin fast which prevents narcs from easily joining. Membership would be secret and members would work together secretly to change the world for the better.

Rather then claiming mine was the only path to salvation, I would claim (correctly I believe) that only a small number of people have reached a stage where they are ready to experience the things mushrooms have to offer, membership would be selective, but membership is neither necessary for or gaurentees salvation.

Rather then starting the initiate off on mushrooms, the initiate would agree to a course of study in various world religions, tracing common aspects of the religious experience and various symbology before undergoing the initiating mushroom ceremonies.

Further, the cult would not be limited to mushrooms, other psychedelic sacraments (LSD, Ketamine/DXM, Morning Glory, MDMA, Pot, Salvia, etc) would be honored in the religion, with psilocybin being the primary sacrament.

In most cases Orthodoxy would be discouraged. In some cases, it must be maintained (in regard to security respect for sacraments and tolerance for other ideas). The cult encourages creativity, and encourages members from those in a position to further the beliefs of the church (for example, bands could join, electronic music would be embraced, etc).

Rather then rely on faith, my followers would become proficient at logic, so they could see the errors when people try to promote themselves or others to the level of guru.

If you agree please put a dollar in the box.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: Swami]
    #3480520 - 12/11/04 02:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

oh buddy dont even get me started on the orgies

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: gnrm23]
    #3480714 - 12/11/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gnrm23 said:
www.thefane.org

Hm. It appears that one of their commandments is: "Thou shalt not fix thine broken links", interesting though.

Great replies everybody, keep 'em coming. (and Moonshoe, DO tell us about the moonlight orgies!)

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3480891 - 12/11/04 07:03 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Here's an interesting article about Entheogenic Sects and Psychedelic Religions from maps.org - http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v12n1/12117stu.html

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3480980 - 12/11/04 08:29 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This is our votive table. It now has my grandmother's large brass candlesticks in back with the smaller ones pictured (bought on the island of St. Michael!) in front as Sabbath candles. On the centerpiece (the Cosmic Christ in space while in a demonic cat-like mouth), just above the 'third eye' is a little Mushroom. In front of the crucifix on the left, in the gaze of Mary called Magdalene and Mary the Mother, sits another Mushroom. To the right of the two Marys is winged Wisdom - Sophia, so that there are three feminine symbols to balance the three masculine symbols of the Logos (Jesus). The third Mushroomic image is the equilateral cross on the 'altar-cloth.' It is a genuine item from an Eastern Orthodox Christian supply house. The cross is not only Mushroomic in form, the inside of the cross has stalks of grain depicted - reminiscent of the ergot-laden entheogenic 'Kykeon' of the Greek Eleusinian Mysteries.

There is a cauldron-shaped incense pot (not shown, recently added) and a chalice-shaped candle votive (both Grail symbols); a 7 branched Hebrew menorah behind which is a home-made model of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life. Below the table is a clay vessel filled with rye stalks - the source of the ergot which contains Lysergic Acid. At the top, above the icon-poster which is captioned Holy Image - Holy Space is an Eternal Light surrounded with 'eyes' of omniscience.

The masculine Logos is balanced by symbols of feminine Wisdom, and three Mushroomic Sacramental elements (which brought it all together for me) is integrated into the theme. This is our symbolism which I offer to you as an imcomplete answer to your question.

Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (12/11/04 12:17 PM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3480989 - 12/11/04 08:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for sharing that Markos, I enjoyed. :smile:

(didn't even read the thread, just happened to read your post--probably because it had pictures. You know how I like pictures!)

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3480992 - 12/11/04 08:38 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That is an amazing altar! Great picture Mark. :heart:

--------------------

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

#3481568 - 12/11/04 12:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Impressive. It looks like you have woven together many traditions into one harmonious whole.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3484250 - 12/11/04 10:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You're welcome. With enough pictures, it would be like you were at home with us. We just got a new Dell computer system, and all we need is a digital camera!

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Modern day mushroom cults [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3484255 - 12/11/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#3484281 - 12/11/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Given the complexity of the world, it seems simple: my Jewish roots, the Psychedelic Experience, the ensuing mutation into some kind of Jewish Christian who must include the psychedelic 'change agent' into the mutation process. Voila! MarkostheGnostic. Simple (so I skipped a few steps in the translation).

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract