Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
newbie notes...........
    #3478003 - 12/10/04 08:10 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Today, i started the whole process with the PF cakes. Just some things that i noticed that might be of help to others. Also, just in refernece to one of my earlier posts, The Hawk's Eye delivered exactly 2 weeks after ordering, even after ordering an "unpopular" strain and it being the busy holiday season. The only thing i worry about, is the the baggie that the syringes (did i mention there was a 2 for one special?) came in had droplets on the inside, and the labels on the syringes them were wet at one point, the ink was smeared. I'm not sure if this was because the syringes had leaked a little (yes, they have caps on them) or if whoever handled them had wet hands. I dunno, everything else seems fine. Oh, and you guys can flame the hell out of me for this one but there is sponsered site here that sells syringes, and when they show pics of the syringes, there's little black dots and shit on the inside, and they claim that their syringes are more full with spores than other companies. Now, as far as i remember from biology class and other info i've read, you need to magnify like 400X before you can see them, so what's the deal? I wish i could post a link, but (it figures) this is the one time i haven't seen an ad for the site. I will post asap.
Other stuff:

1. Finding Vermiculite in the winter is a bitch. 2 Home depots, 1 lowes, 3 nurseries, nothing. I finally had to go to a specialty gardening store to find it.

2. Used "basmati" organic Brown rice ground into BRF. I had the option to use regular organic brown rice, but when i went into the organic food store and asked for it, the hippie chick behind the counter looked me up and down, picked up that bag, and said "You'll want this one, it's higher in nutrients", then gave me a look like she knew what was up.

3. I used a mixer to blend the substrate mix together. At first, it was very loose, very moist, and got worried. But as i filled the jars, i noticed it was becoming firmer.

4. Minor problem: I have a PC, but it would only fit 3 jars, and time was an issue, so i PC'd 3 jars and Pot-boiled 3 jars. 2 of the PC jars actually had substrate pushed out of the holes in the lids. I knew that one was going to be a problem, but the other was a surprise. the third is fine. I took the foil off of the 2 that were overflowing, scraped off the material that had come out, and sprayed lysol on the lid. That way, there wouldn't be a large amount of substrate on the lid for any bacteria to latch onto before i inoculated, and the lysol is to keep anything that tries to get in off of it.

5. Right now, the jars are cooling. I realize most teks/peole say to wait overnight to give the jars time to cool down. Would 12 hours be a good idea of how long "overnight" was? I finishede sterilization at 4pm today, i'd like to inoculate by 4am this morning.

6. I also have an incubator waiting. I got all my PMP supplies at target and home depot. I'm using a 55 quart rubbermaid container that is completly clear as the pod. I have a Whisper pump that's good for 10 gallon aquariums with 2 bubble wands. I relaize that magash has 4 set up in his, i'll try the 2, if they don't work, i'll add 2 more. The whisper pump is extremely quiet. I've also found it can get quieter if you put some pressure on it, so the case itself isn't vibrating. Duct tape wrapped tightly around it is working great. I'm using a 50-watt (i'm pretty sure it's 50 watt, have to double check) submersible heater as well. No humidity gauge yet. Any suggestions for something good and cheap?

7. I'm debating dunking or not. This is my first time growing ever, and i'm already facing a good chance of losing 2 out of 6 cakes. I'd rather not risk them all with a dunk. Maybe i'll dunk one or two, who knows. Any suggestions?

8. In MAgash's PMP, he's using 4 inches of geolite.....how would 2 inches of perlite work?

9. I'm already thinking of ideas for my second go at this: Has anyone tried some of the "plant food" additives for growing mushies? I was thinking it wouldn't work, but one of the addiives i was looking at was actually featured on the back of the package of vermiculite i bought. I also saw "crystals" that supposedly hydrate soil better, i was thinking about some of these. Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: newbie notes........... [Re: Fearthegecko]
    #3478070 - 12/10/04 08:22 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

hmmmmmmm , i like it when people note ! good work on ur study

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
    #3478110 - 12/10/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

found the sponsor i was talking about.

The pic:

Found here: http://www.thelittleguy.com/order_page2.html

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

#3478469 - 12/10/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

and they claim that their syringes are more full with spores than other companies.

Quote:

Fearthegecko said:
found the sponsor i was talking about.

The pic:

Found here: http://www.thelittleguy.com/order_page2.html

TLG makes no such claims, never have.

We used to sell a "dark days" syringe but we've never compared the amount of spores with other vendors.

InvisibleLuvWallyWorld
Slack-jawedgawker

Loc: Midwest
    #3478580 - 12/10/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah I've noticed every tek has a different height of perlite suggested, anyone care to speak on that?

As for vermiculite, it's usually sold with the indoor plant / hydro supplies which aren't affected by season. In other words, at Home Depot you won't find it with the cubic yards of steer manure, it will be near the african violets / begonias / bonsai trees.

I'm a big fan of buying supplies at Walmart, near the section with light-hardware and electric space heaters you'll find a selection of indoor and outdoor thermometers / hydrometers. I can't attest to the accuracy of them but they're a hell of alot less expensive than anything you'll find at Petco.

I'm just curious, how big is your pressure canner and your cans that only three fit at a time?

--------------------

Edited by LuvWallyWorld (12/11/04 01:47 AM)

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
    #3478647 - 12/10/04 10:16 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

you mentioned that the substrate was coming out of the holes - did you pack the substrate into the jar or just loosely place it in? im also new at this and this is my first kids too ---- also when i got my syringes they too had leaked a bit (even though they had caps on them) - i had no problems with my jars though and they are incubating nicely (covered w/ mycelium and almost finished) --12 hours should be plenty of time for the substrate to cool b4 inoculating -jars should be cool to the touch-
as for the dunking - i plan on dunking, it sounds (from what ive read about the posts) like you get the best flushes when you use the dunk, cold (12-24hrs) and then roll in verm. method

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
Re: newbie notes........... [Re: PsycAura]
    #3478663 - 12/10/04 10:21 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

yeah my pc was a wal-mart special and only holds 3 pint jars at a time (also only goes to about 12 psi but what can i expect FROM a wal-mart special) - long proccess-- so i picked up some 1/2 pt jars instead that way i can stack them on top but between the bottom 3 jars.

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: newbie notes........... [Re: PsycAura]
    #3479603 - 12/11/04 01:23 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Yea, never pack your jars, the air gaps allow good spots for mycelium tissue to grow and umm....Your Suppose to only fill them to the rim where the threads start, then you fill the rest(like 1in and a 1/2) w/ dry verm. The dry verm. kind of acts like an extra wall, but don't ever open the jars thinking you aren't risking contams, b/c you def. are just asking for them. And some spores are bigger than others, i can damn sure see my spores w/o looking to hard, some are tiny as F but some are rather large compared to most in the syringe, but if they really have a concentrated syringe then kool, if not, big deal, it doesnt take much, but the more the better.
Dunking usually increases your yield but it's typically done after the first flush, the purpose of dunking is to rehydrate the cake, so if your cake is looking nice then there's really no need to dunk, but some people do it anyways and don't wry about it getting a contam when you dunk, thats when the cake is most contam. resistant...And not that it matters yet but optimal conditions for you incubator are 82F-84F, when you fruit your cakes/casing make sure the temp. drops 10F, it helps initiate pinning...O and after you dunk, roll it in verm. and let let it incubate for 1-3 days, once you seem mycelium tissue grow through nicely, take it out and then fruit it, it should help a lot. And the more perlite the more humidity you'll have pending on how much water is in with it, i'd suggest about 2-4 inches for your 55 tub, just get the perlite damp and strain it for like 10 secs till its not pouring out or dripping consecutively, then you should be good to go :thumb up:
O and fungi is not a plant, it might sound like a good idea but its not, ive read that it releases N, and Nitrogen on fungus is like you in lava, not a good combo. I've heard of people trying to grow plants and mushrooms in the same chamber,(sounded good for o2 and co2 exchange) but it was a bomb, it always ended of contaming, i gues it was something to do with the plants but im not 100% positive.
And always remeber this
Nutes=good
Lots of nutes....=Bad...
The more nutes the better you fungi grows but the more nutes the more chance of contams. I'm not saying don't try to get more nutes in there, i'm just saying that after a certain amount it starts to hurt more than help...
And i never use humidity gauges, fl is what your chamber should feel like that (that was funny), you should be able to feel moisture Stick to your finger, i never use a gauge b/c once they get past about 85(89 for the expensive ones) they start to not read as acurate as you'd want them to. Maybe you should get one, i donno, but jus know that there are some of us who don't use em.
Sorry this is all compiled info., i kind of just read and anwsered as i went,lol, i doubt that i missed anything but if i did Pm me and i'll fill it in, well Gl and your set-up sounds like it
s gonna be sweet, =0, Gl, later

OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
Re: newbie notes........... [Re: boxtop703]
    #3480671 - 12/11/04 06:00 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

not to start a fight, but it says:

"These are actual photos of random samples taken from TLG standard & DD inventory. Shipped product may or may not bear resemblance.

All syringes are 12cc and guaranteed contaminant free"

right under the pics. I understand that some spores are bigger than others, but that's what it says.

OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
Re: newbie notes........... [Re: boxtop703]
    #3480672 - 12/11/04 06:01 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

not to start a fight, but it says:

"These are actual photos of random samples taken from TLG standard & DD inventory. Shipped product may or may not bear resemblance.

All syringes are 12cc and guaranteed contaminant free"

right under the pics. I understand that some spores are bigger than others, but that's what it says.

er- reread my post and your response. Sorry. When i first posted, i couldn't find the link to the site, so i paraphrased. I was wrong.

OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
    #3480688 - 12/11/04 06:16 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

okay, in order:

I don't know exactly how big the PC is. It was basically handed down from my great-grandmother (who used it once, incorrectly. She supposedly blew the top off and cracked the ceiling because she used it wrong) to my grandmother and then my mother. I was the first one to use it since the "cracked ceiling" incident. I actually had to go online to find directions on how to use it.

No, no packing of the substrate. I've read the PF Tek many times, and clearly read that packing is a bad thing, unless you're trying to delay colonization.

I inoculated as soon as the jars were cool to the touch. The amount of spores were distributed unevenly, due to the fact that it was the first time i can remember operating a syringe. I'm not worried about that, i think all that will lead to is some jars colonizing quicker than others. I'm hoping that the incubator and the mixture of the substrate will compensate for the uneven distribution of the spores. I still have one more syringe left, and 6 empty jars, so i'm making a list of mistakes to avoid the next time around.

The vermiculite was not availible at HD or lowes, supposedly it's out of season. I checked the whole store, by the bulk packages and in the "grow" rooms. I wound up finding it in a garden supply store, 8 dry quarts for $3.

I figured that the plant food would be unhealthy for the mushies, considering that most of these foods advertise as helping to prevent/kill fungus, which is what we're trying to create. The one product i did see were some water retention crystals. I have to make another trip out to HD to find out exactly what they wee called. I'm thinking they would be better in a bulk substrate/casing method for keeping the substrate wetter longer.

OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
update [Re: Fearthegecko]
    #3486334 - 12/12/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

weird, i think i actually have some mycellum at this point.

One of the jars is giving off an odor like a dirty diaper. I think i will chuck it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation