Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
IV
    #3476691 - 12/10/04 02:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

has anyone used NS or lactated ringers to hydrate cakes? if so how was it? or should i just not do this? i have a couple bags laying around, any thoughts? i was thinking bout just putting a catheter in the middle with a slow drip to rehydrate while fruiting.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Edited by lemon_lw (12/10/04 02:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: IV [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3476711 - 12/10/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I highly doubt if its been tried the person in the world who tried it will come around the board while this post is here..sounds like a very uniquie idea and probably the only way your gonna know is by trying it.

I am inclinded to believe however that unless its about 5 drops a day it would be to much. Mushrooms use alot of water but not THAT much..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: IV [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3476733 - 12/10/04 02:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i could close it off and then once a day give it a couple of drops ill have to rig up one of my fruiting chambers to do this. i think ill wait untill i get back from leave and experiment with this. ill definatly keep you guys filled in if its anygood. anybody else?

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
    #3476739 - 12/10/04 02:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You may want to look into "Straw in cake" if you have not herd about it. You take a drinking straw and stick it into the center of the cake and fill it with water and the cake will take what it needs.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: IV [Re: Fungi_x]
    #3476752 - 12/10/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

on the same token do you think it would only take the liquid it needs from the catheter? and still what positive or negative effects will these solutions have on them?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3476754 - 12/10/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It could contaminate fairly easy as well. H202 in a clear bag would break down from the light quickly..or in water with any things in it. The h202 would only last a few days..iodine perhaps wouldnt break down and could be used..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3476765 - 12/10/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

but the inside of an IV bag is already sterile.

--------------------

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
Folding@home Statistics
    #3476821 - 12/10/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"on the same token do you think it would only take the liquid it needs from the catheter?"

I would guess it would.

Just found were I got the info from check it out.

http://www.earthstongue.com/site/388422/page/63257

has some info. If the stuff in the bag is sterile you may be on to something. Your still prolly raising the risk of contams but if you have strong mycelia they can fight it.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3476830 - 12/10/04 03:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Can you add distilled water absolutly sterily? And are you sure nothing can go up the needle through the tube? Anything but sterile distilled water could contain contams. I know little about IV bags so I'm just making sure you think of all problems that may exist..thats about all I can think of though so I'll leave it for others thoughts..

--------------------

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
Folding@home Statistics
    #3476854 - 12/10/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

One thing you must remember is that a fully colonized cake is VERY contam resistant.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3476870 - 12/10/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

lemon_lw said:
on the same token do you think it would only take the liquid it needs from the catheter? and still what positive or negative effects will these solutions have on them?

it will run through the cake, I tried this with a syringe with no plunger,
in less than a day the full 10cc syringe was empty.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3476889 - 12/10/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

good shit fungi. but yeah it would be safe to say all my equipment is steril. everything is unopened. the only one with a possibility would be the tubing cause its not sealed the best caus ethey use crappy bags to store. but the bag and needle i can guarantee. i can always do a flush on the tubing with some alcohol followed by h2o + h2o2. that would get it sterile. but still what about the solution of normal saline and lactated ringers? somebody enlighten me please.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3476896 - 12/10/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fungi_x said:
One thing you must remember is that a fully colonized cake is VERY contam resistant.

True but if contams get in a bag of water and breed you'll have a liquid culture of mold pumping into your cake..and it COULD add contamination risk..

Seems it might just be easiest to fill a syringe and just inject a half cc a day or so and remove the syringe..

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3476938 - 12/10/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well a contam couldnt get back into the bag because gravity just wont allow it. it would have to travel through 10 feet of tubing fighting gravity the whole way. so there would be no other way into the bag. bu tyeah a syringe could work, but you up your odds by reintorducing the needle and syringe everyday where as the iv would be semiperminant. thanks fo rthe info pris, but i can make it so it aonly gets like 1cc a day. i can throw a 20g needle in there to lower the drip rate a bit. and if i can get my hands on a smaller guage i will. but still the question about the solutions in the bag (sorry for repeating this but i really want to know)?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3476963 - 12/10/04 03:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You could leave the needle in and unscrew the syringe..Eitherway if kept sterile you shouldnt have a problem taking the need in and out. Check out ryvmed.com for smaller needles..I think they have some smaller like 23g.

Whats the question solutions in the bag? Should only have distilled water in the bag..I didnt see another question perhaps thats why its being missed..

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3476987 - 12/10/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

its iv bags of normal saline and lactated ringers, i was wondering how they would effect moushroom growth. ill just look around at work and find some smaller needles.

--------------------

Invisibleryan
Member since 1997
    #3477491 - 12/10/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Not a good idea. You wouldnt add salt to your cakes would you? then why use normal saline or lactated ringers.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: IV [Re: ryan]
    #3477512 - 12/10/04 04:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ok good now we are getting somewhere. would you add salt? would this fuck up the ph? i dont know if you can.and ryan who were you before you were ryan? you say member since 1997.

--------------------

OfflineKatrina

#3477657 - 12/10/04 05:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Normal saline bags as well as Lactated Ringers can contain dextrose. Lactated ringers also normally contains potassium, chloride, calcium, and sodium and is used because it closely resembles the electrolyte composition of human blood. I have no clue, what it might do to cakes, but just thought I tell what was in it in case you didn't know.

--------------------
Anyone who says size doesn't matter has been seeing too many small shrooms!

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: IV [Re: Katrina]
    #3477707 - 12/10/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

are you really sure dextrose is in NS? cause it doesnt say so on the bag and it should not be in there considering the effects it could have on a diabetic patient. the only ingredients should be sodium and chloride. yes lactated ringers has it. some smart ass words were once writen hear but i took them away cause i realized the info she gave can benifit anyone else who reads this post.

--------------------

Edited by lemon_lw (12/10/04 05:38 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale