Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinearkangel
Learner
Very slow colonization/fruiting
    #3475594 - 12/10/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hello all,

I have been working to grow some PF cakes of Koh Samui Super Strain for literally months now. I knocked them all up in September, and they were only just recently ready to birth. Also, they seem to be fruiting very slowly, it has been over a week since their birthday, and my biggest mushroom is only around an inch long and 1/4 inch thick. I am using perlite humidifcation in a rubbermaid about 1 cubic foot in volume. The walls sweat constantly, so I know humidity is ok, and i keep the room at 70-80 degrees when I can. I was wondering if there are any opinions on what my mistake has been. I contemplated a low water content in the cakes, which could very well be the problem as this is my first grow. Also, I birthed them onto coasters I bought from Wal-Mart, which have a cork bottom. I never occurred to me that the cork could have stolen all my water, as well as force the mycelium to colonize longer, as it has now taken over the cork. Since the process hasn't stopped, and everything progresses (even if slow as hell) I didn't worry too much until now. Christmas break is coming up, and I'm going to have to lug my tubs home and deal with them there since they havent flushed the way I planned. This is all the information I have, and any info you can give me is appreciated.

Ark

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Very slow colonization/fruiting [Re: arkangel]
    #3475781 - 12/10/04 11:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

what was your colonizing temps? and try to keep your fruiting chamber temps steady.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinearkangel
Learner
Re: Very slow colonization/fruiting [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3477297 - 12/10/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

bump

I had the jars sitting at a former friends house, so I can't say for sure what the colonizing temps were, but they were on top of a refridgerator, so I know they were warm.

ark

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3477321 - 12/10/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah you need to regulate those temps or you can start running into all kinds of problems, wait you already have. this is a lesson you have learned, now apply what you have learned to future growths and keep them steady. and you will have better luck i can almost guarante 100%. happy future growing and GL.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
    #3477407 - 12/10/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Be careful, "former friends" can be very dangerous to your grow security.

Offlinearkangel
Learner
Re: Very slow colonization/fruiting [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3477680 - 12/10/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This is actually one reason why I said 'former' So it's a general concensus that the temperature was the problem? I thought these mushrooms could grow in varying temperatures, as long as they weren't too hot, or rediculously cold. After all, how would they grow in nature if they couldn't adapt. I'm inclined to think that there may have been other factors affecting the growth of my Kisses (my new name for the Koh Samui Super Strain, i.e. KSSS). Not that the help wasn't appreciated, but does anyone have any other thoughts?

Ark

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3477740 - 12/10/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

fruiting at 80F might be to hot. stay between 70-75. A few hours higher is ok (liek the hottest part of the day in nature).
Actually they even do better at 68-69 then 80 I think.

Further what is your RH/humidity in fruiting chamber? >95% is ok.

How about the light, which light and how many hours a day?

Fresh air? same Q.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3477760 - 12/10/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

o kto get the mos tout of a pf cake. colonize at 84-86F. fruit, dunk/coldshock and roll, 12/12 light cycles, 74-76F, air exchange, high humidity. after pins have started drop the light down to 6/18

--------------------

InvisibleGlassOnion
Stranger
Loc: Antartica
    #3478322 - 12/10/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeh, i thought that you could colonize at around 80-85 degrees.

Offlinearkangel
Learner
Re: Very slow colonization/fruiting [Re: GlassOnion]
    #3478538 - 12/10/04 07:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Since the cakes were left in this 'friends' possession for so long, I thought they may have been a bit pekish so I dunked them overnight in their jars in the refridgerator. Then exactly 24 hours later I birthed them into my terrarium, which has kept approximately 100% humidity since I added water to the perlite. The light in my room is usually not very bright, but it definitely get's ~8-10 hours of light a day. I also fan out the air and check growth about 2-3 times a day. At nicely spread intervals so as not to disrupt the humidity levels.

I failed to mention in earlier posts that I have 6 cakes fruiting total, and 4 more sitting in darkness that I plan to case at a later and more convenient date

Upon my most recent check, I noticed exponential growth in the amount of hyphal knots (if I am correct in my assumption that small white balls growing out from the cake surface are hyphal knots). Although I have <15 actual mushrooms (still being quite small), there are now many hyphal knots developing on the outsides of the cakes, and using my common sense, I can make connections between the various stages of growth. It appears that the mushrooms that are already showing caps can be traced back through their growth stage to these hyphal knots that are now appearing quite abundantly. This however doesn't mean that they will all turn into mushrooms, but if I am correct it means hope for my harvest (which until recently appeared as though it would be quite meager). This also still doesn't explain why fruiting has not progressed fast enough, as it has now been over a week since the birthday. I am still very interested in your comments, questions, and personal experiences, so please share. Thank you for your help.

Ark

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3481196 - 12/11/04 10:27 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

it seems that you are on the right track now. you are right those knots are signs of mushrooms to be. do your shrooms that are on there have black heads or any balck to them. they may have aborted because of the not ideal environment. but now that you have everything good, you seem better. soon they should produce a shit load of pins, and after that a shit load of good mushies. GL. oh yeah you didnt say what your temps are at, just keep them at a the ones i said above (74-76). peacew

--------------------

Offlinearkangel
Learner
    #3481346 - 12/11/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, none of the small ones that were developing look like they've aborted yet, so I think I caught them just in time. I don't have absolute control over my temps because I live with three roommates, but I try to keep conditions optimal. Thanks.

Ark

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract