Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
what motivates you to act morally?
    #3476997 - 12/10/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i will contend that two elements are neccessary to motivate a person to action.
desire and belief....these two things constitute the reasons we act.
a rational act by a person:
1. he desires a sandwich
2. he believes a sandwich is in the fridge
he acts rationally by going to the fridge to get the sandwich every time.

but what happens when the belief element isnt a belief that a material thing is placed somewhere accessable, but rather a moral or ethical belief?
when confronted with a sure-fire opportunity to steal $200, do you let your moral beliefs against theft lead you to idea that stealing the money is undesirable? (assuming you are morally/ethically opposed to the idea or practice of stealing)

essentially, what motivating factors help you conquor desire with your moral ethical beliefs? why do you not show weakness of will or lack of self disipline in the situation?

Edited by MrBump (12/10/04 04:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: MrBump]
    #3477442 - 12/10/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I guess I'm motivated by the Golden Rule. I treat others the way I want to be treated. Stealing from others is wrong, so I don't steal.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3477489 - 12/10/04 04:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

For the most part, I just don't want to cause anyone any trouble. Also, doing the wrong thing often is a waste of my time, and I don't want to take the energy to do it. So I guess I'm mainly motivated by laziness and a desire to avoid conflict. This doesn't always motivate me to do the right thing, but more often than not, it deters me from doing the wrong thing.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #3478121 - 12/10/04 06:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I act morally because I believe it is right. I would want somebody to show some love for me.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #3478151 - 12/10/04 06:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Empathy. I know how being wronged feels, and I'd rather that others don't feel that way.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3478201 - 12/10/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I act morally because morals are a waste of time, so to spite them I hold them dear to my heart

Well, no, not really, I don't act morally, though I am often kind because I think of how I would react if someone did to me what I was planning on doing to them.  :strokebeard:

Not to mention I do not like creating enemies, and "unmoral" actions are often for things I do not want, and inspire things I do not want, like greed and hatred. But morals themselves are useless and a waste of time

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3478224 - 12/10/04 06:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hmm im not even sure i am moral. there are very few things i desire to do that i wont do...

intellectually i see no grounding for morals whatsoever, as an individual. I dont murder or rape because i would feel guilt and self revulsion and because i really have no desire to do those things.

I'll steal, vandalize, use drugs, sell drugs, and break any other moral or legal law that inhibits my fun though...

i dunno

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
    #3478235 - 12/10/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I do what I believe is right and I grew up in a house hold that stressed treating people with respect as important. I treat others how I want to be treated myself and I wouldn't steal because I don't think it's right, it might make me feel good for a second but then I would feel really bad after so that is why I do not steal. If I get something for free it doesn't mean as much to me as it would if I worked hard and earned it.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3478310 - 12/10/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i mean i guess the fact is that my intellectual realization that morals are self created and essentially illusory concepts has not yet overridden the fact that the morals i do have are deeply imbedded in my psyche by imprinting from my parents and many years of the punishment/reward style brainwashing/programming that education and being a child is made up of.

my mind has internalized the moral dictates of my parents and is capable of physiologically punishing me and rewarding me. this is what freud called the super ego. if i do 'good' i feel good if i do 'bad' i feel bad.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3478774 - 12/10/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

the same thing that 'prevents' me from acting 'immorally' :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #3478848 - 12/10/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I believe that there's an invisible man watching my every move, judging me and threatening me with eternal pain once I pass to the great beyond...

... and every year on December 25th he flies around the world pulled in a sleigh by magical reindeer. He stops at every house and shrinks small enough to slide down the chimney (or if it's an apartment, squeeze between the weather stripping and the door) and deliver gifts to all good boys and girls. If you're bad or you live in the northeast without natural gas, propane or electric heating he'll put a lump of coal in your stocking.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: Autonomous]
    #3478880 - 12/10/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think its mostly due to fact that we are all connected.
Screw someone over and you are really just screwing yourself.

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: Great Scott]
    #3478935 - 12/10/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

karma --- i believe in karma (well sometimes i forget about karma if im doing something ppl would consider wrong)
unnecessary evil/bad/wrong --- "evil/bad/wrong" only when its necessary
generally i dont like to cause unnecessary harm to anyone unless of course i dont like that anyone -- then maybe im just fulfilling karma

so with all that said.... i kinda agree with moonshoe

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: PsycAura]
    #3479167 - 12/10/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ok, so far i've gotten reasons ranging from the golden rule, pity, karma, fear of punishment and invisible men watching you (I'll assume you meant Santa Clause, Autonomous  :smirk: )

these are all good reasons, my take on why i act morally when i do is a little out my experiences (how i was raised, educated) and some guilt, ok a lot of guilt.

but still, i've stolen from people before, even tho i believe its immoral to do,
i imagine most of you have done immoral things in a rational manner (i knew what i was doing and that it was immoral)

so, why did i crumble in one situation and not in the next 5?
what caused my breakdown, why do my desires to act immorally win out sometimes?

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3479223 - 12/10/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I am afraid of geting caught.

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
    #3480761 - 12/11/04 05:30 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

maybe you have a moral scale --- somethings are more "moral" than others---also remember that moral can be very relative --- after all some ppl believe mushies are immoral
another possibility is that maybe you needed your desires fulfilled more at that time (the time you acted "immoral"). (it can be easy to not think how your action affect others in times of emotional/physical/spiritual need) take a look at the circumstances surrounding the times that you chose the "right" path vs times when you chose the "wrong" path

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3481404 - 12/11/04 11:40 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I steal if I feel no one is actually hurt by my doing so. Especially important if you consider copyright infringment to be stealing.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: jux]
    #3481946 - 12/11/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

shame and disgust are powerful motivators

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: jux]
    #3482253 - 12/11/04 03:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jux said:
I steal if I feel no one is actually hurt by my doing so. Especially important if you consider copyright infringment to be stealing.

No one may be hurt by your one individual theft, but what if all of society took the same attitude? The results would be catastrophic.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3482889 - 12/11/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

maybe the whole illusional concept of "ownership" is the root of the problem :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: deff]
    #3483032 - 12/11/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deff said:
maybe the whole illusional concept of "ownership" is the root of the problem :wink:

Or not

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3484241 - 12/11/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Nothing "makes" me act morally, I choose to act morally. Acting morally is the measure of one's freedom from attachments, desires, or sin, depending on whether one prefers the Buddhist terms or the Christian term. I can choose to act legally, yet not be moral at the same time. Acting from fear of getting caught belongs to Kohlberg's lowest stage of moral development - that of a very young child - which is no morality at all. I choose to act morally because all of my thoughts and deeds are ruled by Compassion.

I am not legally married, and there is nothing legal anyway to prevent me from having sex with other women. I love women, and Miami is about as hypersexualized as it comes in the USA, and full of gorgeous women from everywhere in the world. If I 'got caught' by my Lady she told me that she would "be devastated" if I was unfaithful to her. It would also mean that I would have to lie, sneak and cheat. There would be no legal consequences, but the psychological, moral and spiritual repercussions would be drastic for me, my Lady, my 'conquest,' and whoever might be effected by her inappropriate actions. Things would never be the same between us again and she might leave me. My remaining ethical makeup would cause me to purchase a residence for my Lady, and that would effect me financially in a BIG way. Who knows how wide the ripples would spread? Then, finding another partner who even comes close to understanding and appreciating me, and one who feels the same and who is powerfully attractive to me, and vice versa, would be impossibly rare. So, there would be 'instant karma' because my Lady is SO intuitive that she would Know, confront me, and being a usually honest man, I would confess. I am also Compassionate to myelf you know.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3484579 - 12/11/04 11:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

my morals are probably different than everyone elses here as is everyones morals here different to each others.

so i go along with my morals caus eits how i think. i think most people do as well. and it takes a large or important somthing to alter ones actions to go against. ie. greed, defense, fear, hunger etc. i dont steal, kill, rape, abuse or anything. but if it came to me or you id pick me, then leading me to do what i feel needs done. on a side note i do willingly bust shit up, mainly of logging companies, as i really dissagree with what they are doing to inocent life. that is my morals. right or wrong.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3485735 - 12/12/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

thecornking said:
so, why did i crumble in one situation and not in the next 5?
what caused my breakdown, why do my desires to act immorally win out sometimes?

I've done a few things lately that I would never have thought I would do. I think, in my case, I let something slip.

You know how we have lines that we tell ourselves that we will never cross? One of my lines was, "I will never do anything unethical as an attorney." And then a small thing happened, that I chose to overlook, and then another, slightly bigger thing, and the next thing I knew, I had actually committed an ethical violation.

So, I let my line slip, but I didn't beat myself up too badly. I stopped the whole thing and moved the line back to where I had previously held it.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: Frog]
    #3485791 - 12/12/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

it is of value to be disgusted with the whole thing
- professional sophistication permits interpretation
- then circumstance and matters lead to an unethical cascade
the disgust must be greater than the remorse.
it distances it
and fixes it in mind as avoidable.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3486290 - 12/12/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Two wrongs do not make a right. Conflict breeds conflict. Unhappiness results in unhappiness. Every action we take has a reaction. I think negative actions usually result in more negative reactions. The same goes with good things. I think the world could easily snowball one way or another, and I am pushing for the better, but there are those blinded by the shiny things that cannot see.

I am not perfect, I try to be morally correct, but I still fuck up...alllllll the time. But I still give a fuck, and I see a potential future. That is why I try to act to what I consider to be "right" even when its so tempting to be wrong ;]

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: tak]
    #3486376 - 12/12/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

2 sides to everything. whats right to me may be dead wrong to you and vise versa. lets take this sites focus for example. drugs. people protesting say medical pot. to some this is a sin and very wrong, to others it is a way of easing pain and causing good. what im trying to say is that almost everything you or i do can be called right and wrong at teh same time. stay true to yourself and thats all i can think of to being a better person.

you can also do wrongs things for teh right reason. ie stealign bread to feed a family type of situation.

anyway my point is there is no line between right and wrong cause in order to have such you first need 100% agreement...which is possible but not liekly.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineDimmy
Josephacetious
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Re: what motivates you to act morally? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3508272 - 12/16/04 10:32 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

if any of youz guyz wants to know the motivation to act morally from a psychological point of view (prolly the most acurate reasoning) check out what kohlberg had to say: http://students.usm.maine.edu/bmcpha61/Kohlberg_stages_of_morality.htm

--------------------
:goose:

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #3508281 - 12/16/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It makes me happy to act morally, in the long run.

I'm a hedonist. It's good because it makes me happy :smile:

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3508513 - 12/16/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I would say that the applicability of moral behavior to the current situation is what motivates me to act morally. But I do acknowlege that in some situations, moral behavior is inapplicable.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order