Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushrea
Stranger
Talk About an Early Xmas Gift
    #3475474 - 12/10/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, quite a while ago I decided to give a mycobag a shot for my first grow. Over time, I just wasn't happy with the way things were going, so I essentially abandoned it. I turned off the heat source I was using, and it's been sitting in my darkened computer desk for I don't know how long.

So yesterday, it hits me that the bag is still in there. I figure, hey I better toss this thing before it starts growing something funky. To my surprise, something was growing alright, and it wasn't funky. I harvested about 42g wet from the cake. I was pretty excited considering I was expecting 0g!

I began neglecting it because I decided to go about things the right way and start with jars (everything is going great).

So my question is, what's the best way to get as much as possible from this poor cake? I've already removed it from the bag and thrown it into a poor man's terrarium with a most paper towel at the bottom to boost humidity. I left it overnight and it appears to be working since the sides are now showing condensation.

Any other suggestions? Should I dunk it, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: mushrea]
    #3475622 - 12/10/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you could probably salvage another flush by dunking/rolling in vermiculite or something..

Offlinemushrea
Stranger
Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: idiotek]
    #3476077 - 12/10/04 12:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Don't have verm handy at the moment. Would a straight dunk do it any good? What's the minimum time needed to dunk so that it would be beneficial?

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3476113 - 12/10/04 12:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you can dunk from 8-48 hours, about 12-24 is normal time frame, also becareful man that paper towel is gonna get you contams quick, i left one in my martha from soaking up water on the bottom and by the next day it had shit growing on it.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: KyKid]
    #3476151 - 12/10/04 12:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you can dunk it, but certainly crumble and case that badboy. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinemushrea
Stranger
Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: KyKid]
    #3476176 - 12/10/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up on the paper towel. I'll keep a really close eye on it. In the tek for the poor mans terrarium, it is mentioned that you can up humidity with a paper towel, so that's why I figured I'd give it a shot.

Zero, casing was definitely one of my first intentions with this thing, but then, well I guess I just sort of forgot about it :tongue:.

I suppose I should do this the right way and take this opportunity to learn to case since I have nothing to lose. It's almost time to birth quite a few PF cakes, so why not experiment on this POS!

Edited by mushrea (12/10/04 01:03 PM)

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3476211 - 12/10/04 01:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

don't use the paper towel my man. :frown: bad idea, even though it is in a tek.

look for the poor man's pod in the forum.. use the search function. might take a bit of digging, but it's there and is an awesome fruiting chamber. you can use perlite/geolite/lava rock and a fish tank bubbler to get your humidity up. also, spray the walls and lid with your sprayer if they don't already have condensation on them.

crumble and case that with some coco coir/verm. :smile: it will do wonders for your yield, I PROMISE.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinemushrea
Stranger
Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3476246 - 12/10/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm way ahead of ya :wink: The PMP supplies are already on their way. I'm going to do the PF cakes the right way. This mycobag was just an experiment (and a half assed one at that).

Alright, seems like the general consensus is to remove the paper towel. It was only in there overnight, so hopefully it didn't do any harm. It appears to have humidified my coke bottle quite nicely.

So will the myc have any trouble colonizing the casing layer after it has already fruited? When casing, I have to remove any and all pins before crumbling, correct?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3476323 - 12/10/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'd vote for paper towel removal..it wont do harm for the first few days but after 2-3 you have a chances (pretty good) of generating mold and spreading it to your mushrooms. Good luck!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinemushrea
Stranger
Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3476510 - 12/10/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Paper towel has been removed in anticipation of moldy problems. I'll see how she goes from here.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3476910 - 12/10/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

dunking 48 hours is quite long and CAN harm mycelium dont say it will. Only read it, I dunked 4 12 hours or maybe less.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3477130 - 12/10/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, and you could do a g2g and then have a whole nother cake? Sterility first! gl, later

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Talk About an Early Xmas Gift [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3477147 - 12/10/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, standing water=contams, it's 12-24 hrs, 48 is way too long, i've had very bad mishaps in doing that, i wouldnt reccommend it but gl in w/e you choose, later

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag