Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecerebral gortex
Prying open my third eye.
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Patriots Nation
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: Catalysis]
    #3499265 - 12/14/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If I could make a suggestion...KISS, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, and The Doors are all HIGHLY mentionable additions for the "Influential" section.

Great fuckin list man. :bananamusic:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: cerebral gortex]
    #3502582 - 12/15/04 06:11 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Oh yea, I can't believe I forgot about those.
What about Def Leppard as well?

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: Shroomism]
    #3502649 - 12/15/04 06:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome post!!!  you need to add System of A Down to nu metal too :thumbup:

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineDeathexplosion
Loc: somewhere out there
    #3503430 - 12/15/04 12:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"Slayer
Credited with creating the thrash metal style".

umm.....no.they definitely helped shape influence and bring it into the mainstream.Venom is the only band that can claim they created thrash metal.they call themselves black metal but if Venom isn't thrash i don;t know what the hell is.

Edited by Deathexplosion (12/17/04 12:58 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: Deathexplosion]
    #3503576 - 12/15/04 12:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Ok.. I added *most* of the bands you guys mentioned.. but I ran out of time.
ekomstop - what category would Refused be under? is that even metal?

Deathexplosion.. perhaps Venom claim they created thrash but I've always thought of them as black metal. Slayer are the godfathers of thrash.. they may not have *created* it... but they defined it and crystallized it.

--------------------

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #3505693 - 12/15/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure where exactly I would toss them in that list..Alternative Metal maybe?  If they don't really fall into either of the specific categories; alot of their music definitely sounds like it's been higly influenced by metal, not to mention jazz, and electronica among others..to tell you the truth their two last albums kind of reminded me a little of Children of Bodom musically, but otherwise I guess they can be more aptly described as "a philosophical manifestation of the most creative, subversive, and dangerous elements of any subculture" (borrowed description :smile:

Generally I guess they are usually labeled as a 'hardcore' band, but I mean trying to fully describe a bands music with a single abstract noun probably isn't really the most effective way of painting a decent picture for someone who may not have listened to them before.. I don't know, I still think they would probably make a reasonable addition somewhere in the list, I guess if you arn't very familliar with them yet maybe you could check them out sometime and draw your own conclusion..but yeah, if not and you feel like adding them anyway, I think I'd probably have to suggest going with Alternative Metal.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: ekomstop]
    #3505757 - 12/15/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You absolutly have to put Decapitated in your Death Metal section, they are the absolute premiere of fine death metal. Check out their albums 'Winds of Creation' and most importantly 'Nihility'

They were 15 when they made Winds of Creation

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: faslimy]
    #3508736 - 12/16/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

oh my how did I forget Decapitated :blush:
death metal with surgical precision

refused also added

--------------------

Invisiblericochet
    #3519731 - 12/19/04 07:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

meh, I won't argue much with the quality of bands on your list as you have done a very general outlook on the most common bands from each genre, which doesn't necessarily mean they're the best or most innovative in most cases. I won't pick at your list too much since it's mostly subjective but merely make some suggestions.

first of all, where the fuck is Suffocation in your death metal list? also, Immolation, these bands redefined the genre of death metal and were doing things that other bands hadn't even thought about doing.

Winds is NOT death metal. they belong under Neo-Classical Metal if anything.

there's a lot of black metal bands that deserve to be on your list, but I'll merely suggest Enslaved since they are masters of the genre and one of the only innovative Norwegian BM bands, as well as doing the viking metal (will explore later) thing very well. also, Weakling (USA) only released one album that completely destroys a lot of the Norwegian stuff and is not comparable to the shitty goth metal bands like Cradle of Filth, Tristania, and Dimmu Borgir (who had one good black metal album in Stormbl?st).

I'm also at a loss for why Bathory isn't on the list anywhere. Quorthon (the leader of Bathory and sole member for a while, R.I.P.) basically shaped black metal along with Venom (who aren't black metal at all and are very much thrash) and perhaps King Diamond/Mercyful Fate (mostly the corpsepaint and not much musically). Bathory also introduced the Norse mythology themes and epicness of viking metal that other bands like Vintersorg, Otyg, Thyrfing, etc. later explored but could never touch Bathory.

there's a serious lack of Esoteric and Candlemass (who essentially created the genre) on your doom list. while we're at it, Trouble and Saint Vitus and other seminal 80s doom bands who really defined the genre and built on the foundation of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc. before Paradise Lost/MDB/Anathema etc. were even around. also, the latter 3 bands I just mentioned are not anything related to doom anymore and are watered down goth rock music and essentially a Jeff Buckley/Pink Floyd cover band (Anathema). you also should have at least one funeral doom band such as Thergothon or Evoken on your list.

I'd also suggest another genre in Stoner Metal. Kyuss, Melvins (could go in Alternative Metal since they heavily influenced but sound nothing like Nirvana and Buzz of Melvins got Kurt into punk music..and I don't think Nirvana are metal at all but whatever), High On Fire, Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, etc. are a great place to look in the Stoner Metal genre.

as for avantgarde/"progressive" (take note: most "prog metal" bands aren't progressive at all and aren't innovative..guitary wankery = NOT progressive in any sense of the word *peers at Symphony X and Dream Theater*)..I'd suggest maudlin of the Well who relied on the jazz foundation but were much more than that. their first album "My Fruit Psychobells...a Seed Combustible" was a nice starting point but not musically as mature as their followup double album "Bath" and "Leaving Your Body Map" before they disbanded to form Kayo Dot, which is more of an indie/doom/whatever mixture than the more jazzy doom of motW and aren't really classified as metal even though they're heavier than most bands on your list they've realized the silly confines of the metal genre. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are another avantgarde metal band that are very refreshing.

and just to add some bands to your grindcore list since you haven't reviewed any of them: Pig Destroyer and Fuck...I'm Dead

Refused, while a great band, are really hardcore/punk and not metal.

sorry if I offended anyone, I'm fairly outspoken regarding metal, which has some great elements and bands but also has a lot of shitty, generic bands with shitty fans who are largely ignorant to other music.

Offlinenerdcam
nublet

Loc: London, UK
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: ricochet]
    #3520323 - 12/19/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hi

Sweet list, been wanting to get into metal a lot more, at the behest of my black/death metal lovin GF . Thank you sir.

Deftones are not worthy enough for your list?!

Rage \,,/ <(?O)> \,,/

Rich

--------------------

Edited by nerdcam (12/19/04 12:17 PM)

Offlinenanananotehead
The Will or TheWay

Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: nerdcam]
    #3522904 - 12/20/04 12:18 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Consider moving some of these bands to the list:

Impetigo
Rot
Nasum
Bolt Thrower
Dawn - - -  Check out "Slaughtersun (Crown Of The Triarchy)"
Celtic Frost
Hellhammer
Voivod
Satyricon
Sigh
HammerFall
Thought Industry
Coroner
Beyond The Embrace
Aghora
Dysrhythmia
Freak Kitchen (Mattias Eklundh)
Gordian Knot
Spastic Ink

A more in-depth metal resource is http://www.bnrmetal.com/

By the way, anyone interested in buying any metal cd's? I believe I have over 25 I wouldnt mind parting with. PM me if interested. :smile:

--------------------
CEPHALIC CARNAGE__ CEPHALICCARNAGE.NET

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: nanananotehead]
    #3525862 - 12/20/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

man thats a great site, thanks alot.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #3528540 - 12/21/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hey.. thanks for your input. no need to get snappy though.
the main reason it's not 50 pages long is because it already took me the better part of 10+ hours digging up info and writing all that up. some of the bands I don't even like very much, but put them up there anyway for the sake of being metal icons and other people like them. Others I've missed entirely, simply because I don't have a computer and the only time I can get online right now is the public library. You're right I did just do an overview of each genre.. because I don't have hours and hours to work on this guide.. I realize I've missed a lot and can still think of about 50 other bands I could add.. I just don't have time right now.

So I'll add the ones you suggested as soon as I have the means.

--------------------

Invisiblericochet
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide *DELETED* [Re: Shroomism]
    #3528594 - 12/21/04 05:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by ricochet

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #3528613 - 12/21/04 05:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yeah it's for the shroomery.
don't worry I'll add most of the bands you mentioned.. they should be up there.. it's just a matter of when

--------------------

Invisiblericochet
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide *DELETED* [Re: ricochet]
    #3528641 - 12/21/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by ricochet

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #3529772 - 12/21/04 10:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ricochet said:
I was surprised some people here are even into metal honestly. I figured it'd be all jambands and psytrance/electronic/etc. because I guess I just don't associate metal people with psychedelics, really. heh.

I know what you mean, but it seems more and more are popping up around here

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide [Re: Harbinger]
    #3530412 - 12/22/04 02:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sabbat

History of a Time to Come

Sabbat DreamWeaver

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #3530988 - 12/22/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

heh.. I am into jambands and psytrance/electronica as well as jazz, classical, fusion, etc.. metal just happens to be my first and largest passion  :rasta:

--------------------

Invisiblericochet
Re: Shroomism's Metal Guide *DELETED* [Re: Shroomism]
    #3532062 - 12/22/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by ricochet

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals