Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Possible new species?
    #3470318 - 12/09/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have recently been finding what I think is a new species, or one not listed in mapping the mycelial network.

Heres a brief description.

Cap - Carmely colored caps with lighter gold nearing the inside, almost a tan color, darker caps in younger specimens which slightly resemble premature cyans. 0.5in to an inch across in matured specimens.
Gills - Cream colored with a darker tint.
Stem - Snow white, bruises bright blue and greenish colors, about 1.5inch in length, 1cm in width.
Spore print color - purple brown.
Smell - fungusy, earthy.
Taste - strongly like mold.

These mushrooms were found growing on wood chips under an unidentified bush. The chips don't seem to be alder, and the mushrooms are only growing under the safety of the bushes. I was thinking maybe the mushrooms had some sort of mycohorrizal relationship with the bushes they are under. The mycelium seems to be growing out of the woodchips, but the bushes contribute to the mulched area under them. I assumed they were cyans when I found them, I've eaten lots of these and man are they potent! They aren't azures im sure of, but they also don't match up to cyans, and look nothing like any of the cyans ive seen (wakefield mostly)

I live in santa cruz, california.

Anyone have any clue? angryshroom has seen these too and he agree's they don't look like cyans.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: Possible new species? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3470336 - 12/09/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Very cool if you have found a new species, what would you call it? Psylocybe Shroomiedoomie.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblethegatewaydrug
my burning sunwill some dayrise

Loc: wherever i may roam
Re: Possible new species? [Re: Marcd046]
    #3470362 - 12/09/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

haha the shroomiedoomie mushroom, sounds good

--------------------
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because i won't.

General George S. Patton
:paranoid:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3470389 - 12/09/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The purple brown spore print and other characters you describe suggest that it is a Psilocybe. If you want to verify which species it is (or that it's a new species) you'll need to do a little microscope work. The monograph for the genus Psilocybe is easy to find on the Internet, find a copy and try keying your specimens out in detail.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3470390 - 12/09/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Nice, doesn't sound anything like a Cyan to me either. Can you get pictures?

-BP

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3470408 - 12/09/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I saw them at night time, with a flashlight... Plus, Im not really sure which ones you were finding.. :wink: Cause the ones I found looked like a Marasmius or possibly a Conocybe. I didnt even pick them...cause, well, I was looking for a Psilocybe. They just didnt have that "Psilocybe" look to them.

YOu really need to either a) take a picture, b) scan them, c) meet up with me and show me them  :smile:

Are they growing again, in the same place? Leave a few for me to see if I can help ID them if you want...

See if I can get over there today and check them out!

Because from your description they sound like a cyan-fib.

OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: Possible new species? [Re: angryshroom]
    #3470592 - 12/09/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ahaqh thnaks gateway drug, captain cider fuckin' connoisseur, dherunk on 2litres of dry cider 7.5%, alchy:P:P:P:P:P:P:

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3470608 - 12/09/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

maybe send a print over to mjshroomer, he'll know what to do with it. call it psilocybe butt-tard, that'd be good.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3470662 - 12/09/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I seem to recall asking you in the past to go to a copy shop and scan an image. I doubt they are pelliculosas, They grow mainly in clearcuts. I have only found a few small patches of a couple of ounces in the city two times in thirty years.

And your description is kinda confusing. Do as Angryshroom suggests and let him see some.

Again, eating shrooms because you think they are something you are looking for is realy foolish. A good way to die or possibly give to friends and they die.

Aas for being potent. There are only dfour potent species in the PNW. P. baeocystis (potent when freshand losing over 75% of their potency in drying). Psilocybe cyanescens. Psilocybe azurescens, and Psilocybe cyanofibrilosa, the latter not nowhere as potent as the first three. Also Azures lose potency when dried after several months of storage.

So please. Get us a photo.
have a shroomy day.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (12/09/04 01:20 PM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Possible new species? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3472633 - 12/09/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"I seem to recall asking you in the past to go to a copy shop and scan an image. " Wasn't me. I've been in jail, and haven't asked for any other identifications.

"Again, eating shrooms because you think they are something you are looking for is realy foolish."
-Cap - Carmely colored caps
-Stem - Snow white, bruises bright blue and greenish colors
-Spore print color - purple brown.

This to me is a psilocybe, if you would pause for one minute and read over without being a turd burgalor then these sort of things wouldn't have to have arisen on the board, be a little more friendly, im just excited that I may have found a new species, don't get so cocky and anal.

I had identified them as a psilocybe (I was 100% sure), I just wasn't sure of the species. I noticed blueing so I ate a few, and lemme tell you this is the highest ive ever gone from eating a normal dose of shrooms.

I'' try and get a new cord for my digi-cam, my girlfriends dog chewed it to bits a few weeks ago when I was uploading some oyster pics... I have an odd camera with a really rare cord obviously cause I can't seem to find one in my town.

I'll keep this updated throughout the next few days... And angry, im going saturday to harvest that batch, feel free to drop in anytime till then.

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Loc: East Bay (EAST BAY GREASE...
    #3473368 - 12/09/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

do they look like these? If you have a 100x magnifier you can (sort of) see the spores. if they are ovoid and have something pointy on one end
I have posts on this species and they are potent and undescribed. Before there are any comments on eating unidentified mushrooms they were i.d. by Paul Stamete as being a psylocybe 2 years ago:mushroom2:
please check your pms

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
A zen master once said to me
don't do anything I tell you to do
so i did

<p><a href="http://www.whump.com/dropbox/other/ujname.html">Get yours</a>.</p>

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>

Edited by Hongosmeester (12/09/04 09:52 PM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3474186 - 12/10/04 12:05 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Shroomy,

I went to the spot tonight, and found the mushrooms that I think your talking about.

They look similar to a marasmius. Here are some pictures. The small one is definetly a mycena, but the carmel colored caps are definetly not psilocybe. You said that they had creamy white gills right? Thats a good indicator that it is not Psilocybe.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3474200 - 12/10/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Also, I took a few peices of the wood from the wood chips to my plant-bio major friend and he said that its either a mixture of redwood and pine or pine and spruce?

Redwood trees actually conain a natural fungicide...thats why you dont see too many mushrooms growing in redwood areas.

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

#3474344 - 12/10/04 12:41 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The shrooms in Hongosmeester's post looks like it would be Ps. Cyanofibrillosa. (most of them).
Some also seem to have black stipes. Probably not a good characteristic. If, indeed I saw black, then they shouldn't be consumed. But he's probably experienced, and knows better than I do.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Possible new species? [Re: psiclops]
    #3475776 - 12/10/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the corrections Angryshroom.

And to Psiclops, yes those ones in Hongo Meesters post above are Psilocybe cyanofibrilosa.

Good photos to both,.

And have a shroomy day.

And shroomie of Doomie, IT is always good to take photos, and new computers at Kinkos and many other internet shops have microdrives now for digital memory carsds so a cord is not necessary. Most digital cords are wired cable cords so I am wondering what make of canmera you have which has a cord a dog can chew on.

I have three digitals and all of the cords are wired metals.

And have a shroomy day,

mj

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Re: Possible new species? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3476277 - 12/10/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ah only one "L". Good to know.
I hate it, when I mispel.

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Loc: East Bay (EAST BAY GREASE...
Re: Possible new species? [Re: psiclops]
    #3479014 - 12/10/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

they have a very strong staining factor they first stained blue (indigo) then turned black. I did a bioassay and they are stronger than cubensis. :mushroom2:

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
A zen master once said to me
don't do anything I tell you to do
so i did

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals