Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Question about CO? levels
    #3472904 - 12/09/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I am going to take my terrarium/aquariom knowledge to a new level here...

Planted tank owners (terrariums/aquariums) go crazy trying to get extra CO2 into thier tanks, so that thier green plants grow bigger, brighter, faster. (Quick history: At night plants release TONS of CO2, as soon as daylight comes, it rappidly falls to almost undetectable levels as they absorb it all.) I assume that is part of the reason why mushrooms don't sprout at night, or choke and die.

All day long plants prefer to absorb CO2 and light to make sugar, while at night they reverse thier preference. They get switched by the light and can easily die from excess light, due to this situation.

My question is...

Would mushrooms and spawn production be improved if you threw a small grassy plant in there? As opposed to trying to drain excess CO2 through holes, or fanning? Plants will absorb more CO2 then the mushrooms could ever produce, and create little, but still create some at night.

I suggested grass, because it grows fast, can be trimmed, has a larger leaf surface area per. square inch of footing, is hearty, and readily available. (Get creative, use Lemon-Grass, then you can eat that harvest too... Make Lemon-Shroom tea!

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (12/09/04 08:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Question about CO? levels [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3472944 - 12/09/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i like what you are thinking. give it a shot as far as im conserned and see what happens. i would take it out at night if this was the case.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Question about CO? levels [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3472963 - 12/09/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I havn't got to the fruiting part yet, but I am sure that I can get grass to grow in 10 days... If not, I will dig up my winter lawn!

This could be a new method for plant farming, instead of buying CO2 generators (Propane burners), you could just plant any hearty mushrooms in the same greenhouse!

I did a similar experiment with two flowering plants, one tank was day, while the other was night, then they reversed. Both were connected at the top and bottom. I didn't even need a fan, circulation was natural convection. Worked great, but my toads didn't like it... (Don't ask) They prefer darkness.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/09/04 08:24 PM)

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3472982 - 12/09/04 08:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

one problem i thought of just now. contams. try to figure a way out to reduce the risk of contams. fully colonized cakes are pretty resistant though. but ill try to think of a way to reduce the bad odds also.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3473005 - 12/09/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I was thinking of that, Grass loves Peroxide in water...

I should be able to water the grass with the same diluted peroxide I use in my terrarium, (Keeps bacteria levels down and helps break down amonia from my frogs (Urea - amonia))

Here is a pic. of my old terrarium with my Grey Tiger Salamander inside. They are one of the largest newts/salamanders, besides the hellbender. He is about 10.5" long, almost a foot!

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/09/04 08:31 PM)

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3473048 - 12/09/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you seem to bevery knowladgable in this subject. nice newt by the way and isnt there some newt in china that grows 3 feet long? i would suggest starting your grass in a very steril environment and then continue with the peroxide as yo already said. but remember h2o2 kills spores (im think im right). so you need to spray before contams have a chance to grow.

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3473137 - 12/09/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, the hell-bender...

Yes, I will pre-sterilize.

Sort-of, peroxide kills spores, mycelem and mushrooms can handle and prefer a minute amount of peroxide... (Not sure about the mixture, but too much will kill any plant. (My mix is about 50:1 of 3% peroxide... 50 parts water to one part 0.03 peroxide, I think that translates to about 0.006%)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3473181 - 12/09/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

we use 10:1 water to peroxode for the shrooms. it works great.

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3473215 - 12/09/04 09:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I will have to try bumping up my mix, My low mix was only due to my critters, since they breath through thier skin, and drink that way also... 50:1 tended to go un-noticed by them... 40:1 made them shed too much, which was a sign of irritation.

Since thier are no critters here, I may try 20:1, just to play it safe! I don't want to loose my first batch!

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3473257 - 12/09/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Other creatures I have are...

1 Grey Tiger Salamander
4 Fire Belly newts (California rough skin salamanders)
4 Fire Belly newts (Chinese true newts)
3 Spoon Nose Newts (Chinese Rough skin newts)
2 Fire Belly Toads (Chinese Mildly Poisonous)
2 Red Striped Salamanders (Local Connecticut)
31 Red Efts (Local Vermont)
2 Giant Black Millipedes (African)

Several Mosses, Ferns, and Unknown unique local plants.

No, I don't own a pet store! LOL...

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
    #3473304 - 12/09/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

How big are giant black millipedes?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about CO? levels [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3473490 - 12/09/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

10:1 is playing it very safe. Mycelium and mushrooms can hold up to straight 3% without killing it completly..any stronger and its a risk and it can definatly harm it if its straight 3%..but a 10:1 mix of 3% is safe to spray directly on mushrooms and mycelium (with a light mist from above and let it fall gently).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Question about CO? levels [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3473653 - 12/09/04 10:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The giant millipedes are both about 9 inches.

I was more woried about evaporative transfer, but I guess that most of the peroxide would be broken down by that time. (I also used peroxide in my mixture prior to pasturization. (Same ratio 50:1))

I have decided to give it a shot! I still have to build my fruiting chamber. I think I am going to go with some of that plastic wall stuff that they use in cheap gas-station bathrooms, for the walls. Then surround the outside with that pink foam (foamular)insulation from home depot... The 2inch stuff is R10... Double that up with the same foil bubble wrap that I use in my spawning chamber, and I will have a cozy Internal R16, with an external R25 (Thermal reflection).

I really should market some of my ideas! LOL, we already have plenty of crap in stores as it is!

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3473700 - 12/09/04 10:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

P.S. Did you know that you can use spawn as an active filter for water! Spawn that fruits most Oyster Mushrooms will create almost pure water! Filters/uses most mineral contaminaiton, and petrolium waste. The filtered water is then also a natural pesticide!

One slight downfall, your water will contain strains of mycelem from that mushroom, great if you are using cubie spawn, but not so great if you are using oyster mushroom spawn. Might make for some interesting cross-breading!

Great way to reinoculate without spores, quicker also, but more prone to contamination, I guess!?!

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
    #3473706 - 12/09/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

are any of the knowledgeable members going to answer your question? it seems like a good idea, or at least one worthy of discussion and debate. What say you, oh Wise Ones?

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3473715 - 12/09/04 10:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks,
Skatman
Splif
and
Lemon

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3473754 - 12/09/04 10:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

jim, that blows my mind.

good luck with the grow, i'm sure you'll do well. you seem to be very knowledgable.

if you were looking to inoculate without spores, why not do a grain-to-grain transfer? if you have a hepa filtered flowhood/glovebox, this is reasonable.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Question about CO? levels [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3474088 - 12/09/04 11:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Got one of those, but was thinking about a slow waterfall onto a constantly climbing wall of substrate... One giant and continuous growing wall of shrooms... falling back to the bottom when fully flushed, to be recultured!

Sure you would have to add some long grain brown rice flour every few days...

Um... that would be one long wall, and a real slow mover!

Similar to the way I saw them make dry-wall in one long factory... Starts as raw paper that is formed, slurry goes in... it hardens... gets baked/dryed, sealed, cut and stacked... all in one pass...takes hours to do all the traveling!

The factory is about one mile long! Almost like my spaghitti farm idea... I want 100 acres, 1 inch wide... so I can grow spaghetti!

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/09/04 11:47 PM)

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
    #3481649 - 12/11/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i guess they're not. that's lame.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract