Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua...
    #3469429 - 12/09/04 08:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

In January I'm planning on visiting a friend of mine that lives in El Paso, Texas and we both want to visit Mexico. In the book I just finished reading, "The Teachings of Don Juan" by Carlos Castenada, Carlos and Don Juan went searching for wild Peyote buttons in the hills just south of the city of Chihuahua.

Even though the story itself took place over 30 years ago, I figured it'd be worth a shot. It would at the very least be fun to walk in the footsteps of those in the story. What do you guys think? Would there be a better place to look? Any advice on finding wild Peyote buttons is most welcome.

Thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #3469449 - 12/09/04 08:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it would be cool to look for them but don't pick them :thumbup:

Invisibleeric_the_red
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #3469457 - 12/09/04 08:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i'm going to mexico next week, quite a bit further south than you though. i'll be heading to manzanillo. i know peyote doesn't grow there, but i do want to check out what does grow there.

peyote does grow in the area you will be in. check out this page for pictures, categorized by where they were found. and as stefan said, please leave them where you find them.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3469582 - 12/09/04 08:58 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Bring back some dried fruits and shaire the wealth. What season do they flower any way?

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: eric_the_red]
    #3469588 - 12/09/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That page is awsome!

Invisibleastrozombi3
atm
 User Gallery

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: eric_the_red]
    #3469590 - 12/09/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

wow! nice pictures
thanks for the link eric

Invisibleeddyadak
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: Mayabell
Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3469655 - 12/09/04 09:23 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

they flower in the spring march -april depending on altitude... unofficial closed season on harvesting....

--------------------
The smoker you drink , the player you get.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: eddyadak]
    #3469670 - 12/09/04 09:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

*please* do not pick them. Take some killer pics though!

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#3469766 - 12/09/04 09:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Bring us back a load of pics, this map may help:

Invisibleobaku
student of theuniverse
Male User Gallery
Loc: Northwest Oregon
Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: Jackal]
    #3470036 - 12/09/04 11:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen maps that show the "peyote triangle" as the area between Corpus Christi, El Paso, and Monterrey. I've also heard stories about peyote finds near San Antonio. Hunting for peyote always feels like hunting for Easter eggs, especially when some of the local kids join in the fun. We often found clumps of peyotes growing in the protected area at the base of the scrub sticker bushes. I think goats or some other animals eat the peyotes that are easy to graze, but ignore those surrounded by thorny branches. We cut the tops off the plants, thinking that the remaining rootstock would grow more pups. Pulling out the tufts of "hairs" at the center of the buttons usually exposes seeds from a previous flowering.

--------------------
The master's gone herb gathering, somewhere on the mountain, cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown.

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: obaku]
    #3470148 - 12/09/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Couldn't I harvest them by leaving some of the root tip so they just grow back? Why exactly is everyone telling me not to pick any?

Thanks for all info,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3470499 - 12/09/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

They need more than the root tip to survive. Cutting them near the soil line may let them live but leave a few aereoles (where the spines come out) so they can regrow. It sounds like you are going to take them no matter what we say. Better to buy some in cultivation or grow your own.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #3470570 - 12/09/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Because in the wild they are an endagered species.

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: esin]
    #3470896 - 12/09/04 02:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Even the native american church is beginning to cultivate some because there are simply not enough buttons in the wild to sustain the church's needs. You're looking at taking at least 100 years worth of growth (several old specimens) to have an experience that will last 12 hrs. If we can't persuade you not to harvest them, please at least do so reverantly and respectfully. A button needs to be fairly large and have its entire root and some areoles to sprout new pups.

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3471292 - 12/09/04 03:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just as everyone else said, please do not take them from nature.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: theocean06]
    #3471770 - 12/09/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

but, if you're lucky maybe you'll find some flowering ones and get some seeds!

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3473179 - 12/09/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I believe Lophophora williamsii is endangered in its natural habitat; I think a great deal is owed to numerous idiots destroying it. This plant needs to be cultivated by humans to survive.

It would be nice to grow around 5000 plants and disperse them in there natural habitat.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: runnerup]
    #3473293 - 12/09/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You think they'd make it in nature after growing up cultivated? I've heard it suggested that it'd be tougher. But perhaps if you prepare it well, it could work.

Its a great idea. If I could be guranteed that some bitch wouldn't come and cut their heads off the next day, I'd certainly consider this long, long term project.

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3473312 - 12/09/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well as the peyote hunt was compared to an easter egg hunt earlier in the post, the key to that project would to be the best egg hider.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Searching for Peyote Buttons in the hills just south of Chihuahua... [Re: Hooty]
    #3473341 - 12/09/04 09:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Haha.. but when the sweet sweet candy inside is that "delicious" people will hunt their asses off.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds