Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies?
    #3465022 - 12/08/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hello, I was reading an article about Hoodia gordonii and how it acts on the brain with like 10,000 times the strength (wrong word to use?) glucose. Well, as you can see I kind of forgot a lot of what the article said, but I do remember it saying how Hoodia is an excellent appetite suppressant, and with the whole 10,000x glucose I can see why. I recently found a 20x extract of Hoodia gordonii and was wondering about how much your suppose to take and are there any studies on the health effects of this cactus? I sometimes have a problem with munching down the food after a little MJ and was wondering how this would work? I hear a lot about "how can I stop the munchies" - well, this might be it?

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: theocean06]
    #3465219 - 12/08/04 02:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Not the answer you want to hear, but maybe if it doesn't work try eating healthy. It might help if your health is what you are concerned with. I am not suggesting eating food that tastes like cardboard. That's just what morons with no creativity do. Oh yeah you could always go down to Bolivia and buy a bunch of Trimate tea. That tastes good, gives you a bunch of energy, and would curb your munchies :wink:

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3465248 - 12/08/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh I do try to eat healthy, but sometimes I eat and it's just like "damn man, I'm still hungry" and if I was to maybe mix a little bit of this extract in with my food then bam! no more hunger.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #3465374 - 12/08/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I make my food really spicy and it helps me get full faster. I mean don't give yourself the runs or anything but chilies are good for you. I know they block your body's pain transmiting neurotransmiters and it seems like they help me feel full.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3465438 - 12/08/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I read the same article and actually thought about buying the same product. But I'm going to hold off on it, at least for now, because a 20x extract at 10,000x the strength of glucose per one extract, that's gonna be pretty damn powerful. Apparently in the dosage that the tribes in that area use, it is enough to keep a healthy adult male entirely appetite-less for around 24 hours. For me...munchies can get annoying, but I'd much rather have them than not want to eat for an entire day!

Perhaps a very small dosage would do the trick, but since this is a relatively unknown substance, I doubt enough is known about it to accurately gauge information about dosages that size.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineAelph
Playing in thedirt again

Loc: Metro Hotlanta
    #3465864 - 12/08/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Don't know about the dosage but there are articles on the web regarding people trying the plant.

I have some plants I started from seed this year. I'll have to post a pic or 2 of them.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3468005 - 12/08/04 10:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm interested in how this is working chemically. What the alkaloids that contribute are and how they interact with the body/brain.

I found this pervasive quote from many many websites, most seemed like bullshit to me.
Quote:

Cassia Nomame P.E. vs. Hoodia Extracts
hoodia extracts kills the appetite and attacks obesity, is organic with no s
ynthetic or artificial appetite control agents, has no known side effects, contai
ns a miracle molecule (up to 100000 times more powerful than glucose) that fools
the brain into believing you are full, and even stops you from thinking about foo
d. But it actually does MORE...
Hoodia extracts gives you the freedom and control you've always wanted. It a
llows you to lose weight in the knowledge and comfort that you'll never miss out
on a luncheon, dinner, or festive occasion again for fear of overeating.
And Cassia Nomame plays similar function as Hoodia,for more details of Hoodi
a Cactus P.E.12:1(Hoodia Gordonii P.E.),Hoodia appetite suppressant,just check re
lated pages for more details.

So I did a search for an acreditted publication about hoodia and have found no real claims as to what is written up there like 10000x glucose or glucose at all. Here's the only thing i've found.

Quote:

The active compound responsible for the plant?s appetite suppressant action is a pregnane glycoside (similar in structure to a cardiac glycoside), which has been isolated and patented as P57, although it is possible that more than one compound is responsible for this action. Hoodia gordonii also contains saponins. This compound acts on the central nervous system (CNS), but may also be active peripherally on appetite regulation, via the vagal afferent nerves, as well as on potentially anorectic peripheral hormones such as cholecystokynin (CKK), for example.

http://www.herbalsafety.utep.edu/herbs-pdfs/facts/hoodia.pdf
Bibliography: http://www.herbalsafety.utep.edu/literature.asp?pk=45

Now it could act like glucose in some way, the glucoside/glycoside are derived from straight chain sugars that become cyclic when in solution. But there are many compounds that are cyclic sugars or that are derivatives of cyclic sugars (in our case we're interested in glucose and sucrose fructose and dextrose derivasions), that don't have any action anything like sugar or produce the response glucose has and there's quite many that kill you outright.

So I think the claims, by the mainly anectdotal evidences associated with many people trying to sell pills, about glucose may be a little over hyped.

Pfizer is being crazy secretive about it, code named all the molecules and there's no drawings of it either i was able to find. P57 is still a mystery to those not in the know.

The brain is constantly monitoring glucose levels, and when it finds that they're low it stimulates another part of your brain to make you feel hungry. If it's working in some way not similar to ephedrine like stimulant anorexics, then it probably works in some way to fool the brain or block the measuring mechanism from detecting. But to compare it to glucose by 10,000x, that's sorta not really getting at the mechanism as glucose and a pregnane glycoside are VERY distantly related.

This link might be interesting, US Patent File # 6,376,657

OfflineGoaM
damaged
 User Gallery

Loc: khole
    #3469141 - 12/09/04 06:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I got some Source Naturals Hoodia Extract. 20X 250mg pills. Two or three curb my appetite for about four hours. I also get a slight pleasant feeling with it. I don''t think the Source Naturals is very good. I will probably find another brand to try when it's more available.

Tweaker

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: GoaM]
    #3469917 - 12/09/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hoodia works, it's not a scam and not just a fad. It does kill appetite but with all wonderful things there is always a catch. The only catch so far that I've found with hoodia is that it grows slowly and is kind of expensive. I've heard too many reports from many sources to think it's fake or doesn't work. I haven't tried it myself but I grow hoodia. It's nifty, it grows a lot faster than peyote and even faster than san pedro seedlings but still if you want to harvest a lot every month you have to have a good sized garden and it takes a while.

I do have a few extra hoodia gordonii seeds if anyone wants to swap for them. Just don't expect to be harvesting pounds of the stuff in a couple months. It's a long term project but there is no reason that if you take good care of them you can't have a whole garden full of them in a couple years. They go for a lot of money when they get bigger so it can be financially rewarding. And they are legal. :smile:

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3470012 - 12/09/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yep, Hoodia is definately not a scam. Most Hoodia products currently are though. They contain WAY to small amounts of the plant to be active, or they don't contain Hoodia at all. There are at least one source for prepared Hoodia that I'm convinced is the real deal. :thumbup:

OfflineHOODIA
Stranger
    #3554461 - 12/28/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

neuro didn't want to see any of what was written here before.

Edited by neuro (12/29/04 02:55 PM)

OfflineHOODIA
Stranger
African Hoodia Cactus ... The new weight loss REVOLUTION! [Re: theocean06]
    #3554466 - 12/28/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Here either..

Edited by neuro (12/29/04 02:56 PM)

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: African Hoodia Cactus ... The new weight loss REVOLUTION! [Re: HOODIA]
    #3554622 - 12/28/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Are you kidding me? Why hasn't HOODIA been banned already? lol

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: neuro]
    #3556036 - 12/29/04 04:57 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

P57 is still a mystery to those not in the know

You're not wrong! I have even read that P57 isn't an extract but a synthetic version of a steroidal glycoside present in Hoodia.

And who said Hoodia was ugly?

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: Jackal]
    #3556495 - 12/29/04 07:58 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thats not gordonii though right? Its name starts with an f maybe? Fricii?

Well do the other hoodia also have the same components making them wurth while to pharmacutical companies?

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3556853 - 12/29/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SHEIKofSHIITAKE said:
Thats not gordonii though right?  Its name starts with an f maybe? Fricii?

Well do the other hoodia also have the same components making them wurth while to pharmacutical companies?

That's a macrantha - identical to gordonii until it flowers. :wink:

The San tribe will eat any Hoodia and have the same effects, I believe gordonii is just the most abundant!

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: Jackal]
    #3557034 - 12/29/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Most of the hoodia pills being sold have everything in them except hoodia or only have a tiny bit. The pills are made by the same people who sell fake fat burners and so on. If you want real hoodia, grow your own.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Offlinepod3
Stranger
 User Gallery
- [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3557129 - 12/29/04 11:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

-

Edited by pod3 (10/26/06 12:04 PM)

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: pod3]
    #3557555 - 12/29/04 01:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That's what I'm saying, you don't know what they put in the pills. If they list ingredients, most of them are other things. Hoodia itself has been shown to work but unless you grew it yourself or know the grower, you are taking a pill that could have poison in it.

--------------------

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Hoodia gordonii Extract - Cure for the Munchies? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3557582 - 12/29/04 02:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I wouldn't be buying any of those weight loss pills. I would be purchasing Hoodia extract from www.bouncingb.com - which I would consider a reputable site. I understand what you are saying though, there really isn't any way I could tell if what I got was 100% extract, or 50%, 30%, etc. there just isn't any way for me to know for certain. I will be purchasing some live Hoodia in the Spring, most places seem to be out of them at the moment.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale