Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Nomad]
    #3464370 - 12/08/04 12:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

lost in translation?
did budda leave a living library behind? :P
once heard of budda, then i heard the 'whole story' of budda, was amazed.. so much difrent teaching in the same wrapping.
love "budda's" 'equal to yin yang' :wink:
that instrument of a string, to tight it snapped, to loose it sound, but if one get it right in between, a harmonic sound came forth..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Gomp]
    #3464511 - 12/08/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

did budda leave a living library behind?

Who knows? On the night of the historical Buddha Shakyamuni's awakening, he remembered that he had been a monk under the previous Buddha Kassapa in a former lifetime, and so he "inherited" the Dhamma, downloading it from his memories. If that is possible, then the universe is indeed a living library - there must be some folks around who were monks under Buddha Shakyamuni.

that instrument of a string, to tight it snapped, to loose it sound, but if one get it right in between, a harmonic sound came forth..

Right on! :thumbup:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3464629 - 12/08/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Shakyamuni's?

hum, did he spend his childhood inside a palace, protected from old age, deices and death?
was he the one, who on his first journey outside the protected 'fantasy' facade inside the palace, started his quest, as he saw work and toil for the first time, seeing a plow, plowing the earth, and un-earthing a worm, that a bird picked up and ate, and thought, this is the world! like that bird, would not have gotten that food, if not the man toiled and struggled whit the earth, so is everything connected as the whole! ? something like that in short and rather messy? then under a tree, realizing, fear is fear itself, and that we need not live in suffer?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3464758 - 12/08/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

since the whole book is inside
the living library was always there.

the buddha was one of the early
lenders at that library in this era.

I would avoid considering akashic records for a better copy of the one you already got

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Loc: Chinatown
Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3465357 - 12/08/04 03:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The Buddha was not the one and only awakened being, he was a single realized teacher from along a long line of Buddhas, that resided in various times, places, and dimensions. Buddhas from the past, present, and future have been around for countless "kalpas." ( A kalpa is the length of time that it takes to create and destroy an entire universe.) Out of compassion, these enlightened beings have risen to the call to deliver the suffering masses from their lives of pain and delusion.
It is likely that he inherited the teachings by connecting to the "clear awareness," that which is realized by all enlightened beings. This clear or perfect awareness, is often called the dharmakaya....the clear light. All things phenomenon are manifestations of this clear light, hence to understand dharmakaya, we understand all things.
The transmissions of Buddha's teachings have been long debated. Thus, many different schools have been founded that all have claimed that they have the accurate transmission. There is little to argue, because all transmissions are entirely accurate, because the Buddha expounded the Dharma in 84,000 different methods of teaching, for the 84,000 different types of personalities that he encountered during teaching.
In Theravada, the transmission that they received was the one spoken directly through the Buddha's speach. The Vajrayana students, claim to have received the message via telepathic transmission. So it is difficult to say, firstly, how Buddha received the transmission of dharma, and lastly, how he chose to transmit it to all sentient beings.
I am so happy to see the interest in this thread I started. I thank you all for your contributions and thoughts on Buddhism. Hopefully, we can discuss all these matters further, and allow all activities to flourish!

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: InnerBeing]
    #3465778 - 12/08/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The number 84,000 is derivative of the earlier Indian Yoga teachings which say that there are 84,000 different asanas or bodily positions as are taught in Hatha Yoga. Numbers that recur in any tradition are usually indicative of a numerologic significance, a symbolism of some sort and should not be taken so literally. Yoga sutras also say there are 72,000 nadis or subtle astral nerves in the body. Yogi Sri Chinmoy once claimed to have perceived them inwardly up to several thousand, but tired of counting and took the rest on faith. Bulls**t I say to the meanderings of cult yogis. The Bible cites 144,000 heavenly mansions in Heaven. The Jehova's Witnesses, for example, determined that the 'No Vacancy' sign went up in 1938 - Heaven is all filled up, and therefore Jehova will instead renew the Earth so we can all live in agrarian paradise forever (until the sun goes supernova at any rate). Same kind of symbolism-taken-literally kind of thing I'm afraid.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3465826 - 12/08/04 04:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So you dispute the 84,000 different teachings. The number is truly irrellevant as it is merely a carry over from the Hindu faith, as are many aspects of Buddhism. We shouldn't get too hung up on numbers I guess, however, I will leave it at this; Buddha taught in countless ways, to countless beings. Whether this adds up to 84,000, I really can't say. The number is mainly just another symbol among many other symbols in Buddhism.
Like you mentioned, many religions seem to use patterns of numbers to convey ideas. The Holy Trinity, The Eightfold Path, The Four Noble Truths, The Three Jewels, The Heaven of 77 Virgins, and the list can go on and on. What value these numbers represent, is definately debatable, but why waste our time arguing the symbology, when we should be focussing on the substance of the teachings, and not the number of them.
I used the number 84,000 to express the great multitude of Buddhist teachings, but maybe I should have ommitted that number to avoid an argument based on the sum of all teachings.

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

Edited by InnerBeing (12/08/04 04:46 PM)

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

#3465984 - 12/08/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
Shakyamuni's?

hum, did he spend his childhood inside a palace, protected from old age, deices and death?
was he the one, who on his first journey outside the protected 'fantasy' facade inside the palace, started his quest, as he saw work and toil for the first time, seeing a plow, plowing the earth, and un-earthing a worm, that a bird picked up and ate, and thought, this is the world! like that bird, would not have gotten that food, if not the man toiled and struggled whit the earth, so is everything connected as the whole! ? something like that in short and rather messy? then under a tree, realizing, fear is fear itself, and that we need not live in suffer?

There may be some confusion regarding the many titles that the historic Buddha has. To clear this up let me offer my explanation of the many names that we have come to know Buddha by.
Guatama Siddhartha is the Buddha's birthname, and he was a descendent of the Shakya clan.
Shakyamuni is a title that translates into "sage of the Shakya clan." This refers to Buddha as a teacher.
Tathagata is pali for "Thus Come One." This is an honorific title for He who has come and attained the perfect wisdom.
Oh and lastly, Buddha simply means: The Awakened One.
All of what you mentioned occured in the lives of Shakyamuni, Siddhartha, Tathagata, and the Buddha, because they are all the same entity.

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

Edited by InnerBeing (12/08/04 05:00 PM)

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Ped]
    #3465994 - 12/08/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:

At this time, I was the stoner kid who lived in his parents' basement. That being so, within a week of placing the image of Avalokiteshvara on my desktop, I had the opportunity to encounter it while under the influence of psychedelic mushrooms. Under the influence of the mushrooms, the image appeared to possess such immense holiness, such sacred meaning, that it occupied my attention for hours. During that time, it felt as though "how to live" was being downloaded in to me.

Interesting. I will be recieving an Avalokiteshvara empowerment on Saturday.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3466178 - 12/08/04 05:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That is excellent! Wish you well on your empowerment, Avalokiteshvara, Chenrezig, is one of the most profound empowerments to receive.

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Ped]
    #3466216 - 12/08/04 05:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
It was an image of the one-thousand armed Avalokiteshvara that I had seen on a PBS program about the Dalai Lama which prompted me to type the word into Google image search. I was sitting at my computer at the time. Some very "trippy" images returned, and because they were "trippy", I placed one as my desktop background.

At this time, I was the stoner kid who lived in his parents' basement. That being so, within a week of placing the image of Avalokiteshvara on my desktop, I had the opportunity to encounter it while under the influence of psychedelic mushrooms. Under the influence of the mushrooms, the image appeared to possess such immense holiness, such sacred meaning, that it occupied my attention for hours. During that time, it felt as though "how to live" was being downloaded in to me.

Such profound experiences of "how to live" are common with psychedelic drugs. But this time around, I couldn't help but connect the experience with the Buddhist image. The way such immense wisdom and compassion seemed to emanate from a 1024 x 768 JPG image had piqued my interest, and before long I was reading my first book about Tibetan Buddhism.

And all the insights in those pages resonated with the same wisdom and the same compassion I felt that day. When I finished that book, I picked up another. And another. Real changes were starting to appear in my life, and before long I was in a seat at Central Library listening to a monk transmit the same lessons verbally. And his words resonated with the same wisdom and the same compassion felt in that first inspiring encounter with a JPG image. That monk became a very special friend, and for a time I was one of his assistants.

But it hasn't all be fruit, jam, biscuits and orange juice. I entered into the Tibetan Buddhist lifestyle with the idea that a bath spirituality would wash away all my problems, that I wouldn't have to apply any effort. When it became unavoidably clear that effort was needed, I applied it with the idea that method and rigor would put an end to all my problems. When it became unavoidably clear that method and rigor were meaningless without wisdom and compassion, there were some tremendous stumbling blocks. I didn't feel like I had the power or worthiness to cultivate wisdom nor compassion.

What's worse, I had alienated my family, friends, and even my spouse with my forays into Eastern religion. I had begun to preach at them, to tell them how to solve their problems. I had such confidence in the things I had been told that I wasn't able to understand that people only want to hear about "how to live" when they ask "how to live."

The problem was that I was in this thing because I wanted to get away from my problems, instead of getting through them. Buddhism teaches you how to get through your problems. When you try to use Buddhism to get away from your problems, Buddhism seems to ring with this shrill dissonance that calls attention to your priorities.

And so I took a major step back. I had entered into the whole ordeal with many bad motivations and wrong ideas. I needed to get my priorities straight. Now, I approach the matter lightly, and occasionally I try to distract myself in other things. It's appropriate to be patient, and to be prepared to encounter anything on the path. Dharma is always turning in the back of my mind now; it has it's influence over just about everything I do. Not a day goes by without Dharma offering itself as a unique lens through which to view common situations. The way it seems to function like part of my mental anatomy: I hope it never stops.

I had similiar introductions to Buddhism, and when I became a Tibetan Buddhist practicioner I went through the same alienation that you went through. I thought it was my cure for all problems, and I diligently studied, meditated and chanted, but I pretty much burnt myself out after a year. Now, I am refreshed and looking at things more objectively. I am trying to ease back into it for the right reasons. I am sure that you can relate!
Hopefully, I will get back to my root teacher soon, and begin the skillful activities once again.

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3466421 - 12/08/04 06:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hum........... I have read this entire thread and have many questions.
Very intresting

:smile:

Where is Buddha now ?

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3466517 - 12/08/04 06:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Buddha is an enlightened being so he exists in three forms: his Truth Body which pervades all space and time and is completely at One with the Universe, his Enjoyment Body, which is sort like a spiritual emanation that only superior spiritual beings like Boddhisatvas can experience, and finaly his Enjoyment body eminates countless Form Bodies, which are physical bodies that you and I can see. He can manifest himself any physical object of living being, but ordinary minds only percieve these forms as ordinary things.

Because Buddha is everywhere, and also one with all minds, if you imagine that Buddha is in the room with you, then he really is. :smile:

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3466854 - 12/08/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
Hum........... I have read this entire thread and have many questions.
Very intresting

:smile:

Where is Buddha now ?

I cannot answer that question for you because any answer that I have to offer would be false.  My answers for that question stem from my own understanding, my own perceptions, and from the reality that has been created by my own thoughts.  Buddha exsists wherever you believe he exsists.  If you believe that he does not exsist, then he surely does not.  Answer this question for yourself and you will find exactly where Buddha is.
  "With our thoughts, we create the world"

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Buddhism Anyone? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3466903 - 12/08/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Wow that is confusing but I have found some good sites about this and will be reading. More to follow.............

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#3467318 - 12/08/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hum, did he spend his childhood inside a palace, protected from old age, deices and death? was he the one, who on his first journey outside the protected 'fantasy' facade inside the palace, started his quest, as he saw work and toil for the first time, seeing a plow, plowing the earth, and un-earthing a worm, that a bird picked up and ate, and thought, this is the world! like that bird, would not have gotten that food, if not the man toiled and struggled whit the earth, so is everything connected as the whole! ? something like that in short and rather messy? then under a tree, realizing, fear is fear itself, and that we need not live in suffer?

Yup, that sounds like Shakyamuni.

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

#3467416 - 12/08/04 09:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yikes! I didn't mean to confuse you. You will probably get a different answer from different people concerning Buddhism because there are so many ways to follow this lifestyle. Some people may tell you that where Buddha is now; is not important. Others may say that his life, teachings, and death are of uttmost importance. That is why I think it is best that you research this on your own and come up with your own conclusions. I don't want to preach my own beliefs onto you.
Good luck in your studies, hope you find some answers to share with us!

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#3467453 - 12/08/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

In Theravada, the transmission that they received was the one spoken directly through the Buddha's speach. The Vajrayana students, claim to have received the message via telepathic transmission. So it is difficult to say, firstly, how Buddha received the transmission of dharma, and lastly, how he chose to transmit it to all sentient beings.

In my opinion, the problem with the whole of Mahayana (which includes Vajrayana) is that it is essentially a channeled religion. That does not necessarily mean that the Mahayana Sutras are not authentic. According to the Pali, the Buddha taught a lot of deities, being a "teacher of men and gods alike". Since heavenly beings probably have a much longer lifespan, these teachings must still be around. (Hey, I just love cosmology.) Still, one should approach the Mahayana Sutras with care, just as any other channeled material. While I googled for hell last week, I found that the Lotus Sutra, in particular, has some very nasty parts - if you treat the Lotus Sutra with disrespect, you will, at the dissolution of the body,

"enter the Avici hell, For a complete kalpa; Reborn at each kalpa's end, They thus go on revolving Unto innumerable kalpas; When they come out of hell, They will degrade into animals, Such as dogs or jackals, With lean-cheeked forms, Blue-black with scabs and sores, The sport of men; Moreover by men Hated and scorned, Ever suffering hunger and thirst, Bones and flesh withered up. Alive, beaten with thorns, Dead, with shards and stones;"

And that's just for mistreating a scripture. I wonder what happened to the historical Shakyamuni's teaching in the Kalama Sutta?

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men. Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all. Then accept it and live up to it."

There are some parts in the Mahayana which seem to be an improvement to the historical teaching, correcting the parts which were distorted through the necessity of the Buddha not alienating himself from the culture in which he teached. But other parts represent a weakening of the Dhamma. For example, in the Pali, it is very clear that you should not kill. That's an easy rule, really: Whatever happens, wherever you are, do not kill. (But how different the world would be if everyone remembered just this one simple rule!). The Mahayanas replaced this with a complex utilitarian teaching, all too easy to be misused - as, in fact, has already happened in the history of Zen.

Edited by Nomad (12/08/04 09:17 PM)

OfflineInnerBeing
Yakuza Boss

#3467898 - 12/08/04 10:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think this is why you need to embrace all vehicles of Buddhism for their own strengths, and take from them all the tools that pertain to your own quest for realization.

--------------------
Kiss the ring Bitch!

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3467920 - 12/08/04 10:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

As a student of comparative religions, I believe that Buddhism is the most perfect one the world has seen. The philosophy of the theory of evolution and the law of karma are far superior to any other creed.
~Dr. C. G. Jung, Swiss Psychologist

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale