Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Breakin the Law!
    #3461737 - 12/07/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992572

I hope this link can stay here as it may be of interest to some people interested in longevity and ideas of cellular rejuvination. This stuff came up in a few recent threads here. I just wanted to share this link for anyone who cares to study it further on their own.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3461759 - 12/07/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Not quite related to cellular rejuvination really, but very interesting, and very relevent to a career path I'm looking into :smile:

it's crazy stuff really :cool:

--------------------

Offlineoceansize
fuckin' right.

Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: deff]
    #3461803 - 12/07/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

WOW Jiggy I hadn't seen this article since around when it was written, nor thought about it, yet 45 seconds ago I remebered it and posted something about it in another thread.

Anyway, entropy is about random happenings. This exception is based on a mathematical coincidence, if you will. The same anomaly as a man being struck by lightning 11 times (chances 1 in 250 quadrillion, it has happened) or me posting about this right before clicking on your thread. Without sounding like a downer, what I mean is if you want to live long and young, take antioxidants- this fundamental law of the universe only fucks up every once in a while.

--------------------
"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." - Friedrich Nietzsche

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: deff]
    #3461824 - 12/07/04 08:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I relate it to having potential in the area of cellular rejuvenation research because of a newer understanding of reversing entrophy. Of course, I don't have a link between the two, but who knows what may develop from what more they learn that can be applied to medicine and our bilology in the near future.

Ocean, you just posted about it in another thread huh, funny. There must be a wave rolling through- he he

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: oceansize]
    #3465290 - 12/08/04 03:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The same anomaly as a man being struck by lightning 11 times (chances 1 in 250 quadrillion, it has happened).

Two salient points:

1. The odds of me being alive and typing this are far, far greater than 1 in 250 quadrillion. Ad hoc probablities carry no meaning.

2. The odds of a man living near a large tree on a hill in Florida or Arizona getting hit by lightning is trillions of times greater than a man getting hit by lightning in the Antarctic. If you are trying to amaze of by this happening, one would have to know the circumstances and also how many lightning strikes there are over how many years in how dense a population; etc. Lightning FREQUENTLY strikes multiple times in the same location.

A man was bit twice by a great white shark. "Oooh, how amazing! The odds of getting bit are (you fill in the blanks)." Well, he certainly wasn't in a farm pond in Iowa, was he? This was a man who kayaked and surfed in Great White huntings grounds regularly.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineoceansize
fuckin' right.

Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: Swami]
    #3466447 - 12/08/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

1. Turn off the skeptic alarm. After the fact probabilities can hold tons of valid meaning, as long as they are not extrapolated into the future. All I said was: a man was struck by lightning 11 times. That is unlikely.

2. Lets assume this guy doesn't have a job riding bicycles with lightning rods stuck in his shorts in the rain. No matter how you look at it, it isn't a likely happening. Even if he had this job title, surviving 11 attacks is lucky. If all you are telling me is this occurance isn't as amazing as it seems, no matter what the conditions, it isn't a common occurance.

All that aside, you might want to reread my post because I think you missed the point. It stands alone without the anecdote that set of your alarm. The Third Law wasn't really broken, because it depends on the Law of Large Numbers, and chance 'exceptions' over short periods of time are perfectly normal as well as accepted.

--------------------
"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." - Friedrich Nietzsche

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3466657 - 12/08/04 06:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Skeptic alarm? I make my living on probabilities and would wager I know more about them than anyone here.

All I said was: a man was struck by lightning 11 times. That is unlikely.
If it is fact, then the chance of it happening are 1/1 or 100%. The chance of it happening to you may very well be 1/250 quadrillion.

--------------------

Offlineoceansize
fuckin' right.

Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: Swami]
    #3466736 - 12/08/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I repeat: All I said was: a man was struck by lightning 11 times. That IS unlikely.

Note I didn't say 'that WAS unlikely.'

"Skeptic alarm? I make my living on probabilities and would wager I know more about them than anyone here."

Yes, and that explains why you had such a hair trigger in responding to my example, sniffing out potential fallacies in my post. Nothing wrong with that, just as nothing was wrong with my post.

--------------------

Edited by oceansize (12/08/04 06:55 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3466768 - 12/08/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Note I didn't say 'that WAS unlikely.'

Yes, I noted the inconsistency of verb tenses.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3466769 - 12/08/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I relate it to having potential in the area of cellular rejuvenation research because of a newer understanding of reversing entrophy.

Um. Maybe you've confused "entropy" with "atrophy".

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: Phluck]
    #3466812 - 12/08/04 07:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have "a trophy" on my mantle.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Breakin the Law! [Re: Phluck]
    #3467506 - 12/08/04 09:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
I relate it to having potential in the area of cellular rejuvenation research because of a newer understanding of reversing entrophy.

Um. Maybe you've confused "entropy" with "atrophy".

More like made up my own word "jiggy jibberish" by combining the two meanings of entropy and atrophy.

en?tro?py    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (ntr-p)
n. pl. en?tro?pies
Symbol S For a closed thermodynamic system, a quantitative measure of the amount of thermal energy not available to do work.

A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system.

A measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message.

The tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.

Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society.

at?ro?phy    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (tr-f)
n. pl. at?ro?phies
Pathology. A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part owing to disease, injury, or lack of use: muscular atrophy of a person affected with paralysis.

A wasting away, deterioration, or diminution: intellectual atrophy.

My apologise. I have been flying hard lately and posting here for me now is like drunk driving.

I'm gonna get off the roads for now and back to free space. To much to navigate through for the speeds my head is flying at since yesterday.

Sorry about Free Energy post too guys. It had some flying fuel in it and I just wanted to share the fire codes. At least gomp got a buzz from the jibberish is in it. :tongue: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: 1