Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
To those who believe in Mystical Healings
    #3465596 - 12/08/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So let me get this straight: one can heal cancer and other ailments through prayer or Reiki or visualization or the laying on of hands; yet people must still die. This does not compute. If one can "channel energy" to thwart the Grim Reaper once or twice, why not indefinitely? Why is unlimited and divine healing so very, very limited?

Hint, the answer is obvious.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: To those who believe in Mystical Healings [Re: Swami]
    #3465613 - 12/08/04 04:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

""Mystical Healings ""

take a pill, to make you become, not ill?
take a pill, to make your finger move?
:wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3465680 - 12/08/04 04:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure what is meant by "mystical healings," but I do believe the human mind is a very powerful thing, and the power of suggestion can work wonders. It's not full-proof, but people have managed some incredible feats under extreme circumstances.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #3465691 - 12/08/04 04:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

placebo?

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: To those who believe in Mystical Healings [Re: spudamore]
    #3465734 - 12/08/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

A placebo is a great place to relax in the summertime.

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3465841 - 12/08/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

isnt that a gazebo

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3465842 - 12/08/04 04:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Take two placebos, then you can call me lame!
-NOFX :P

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3466198 - 12/08/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It's the same reason medication and medical treatments can't keep someone alive indefinitely. We are not meant to live forever, and the body will degrade over time despite all measures to reverse it.

We can temporarily bounce back, but we will always digress and die. You could say the same for any treatment, not just Mystical Healing

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: To those who believe in Mystical Healings [Re: Ravus]
    #3466328 - 12/08/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The man has a point there.

And a very disturbing sig, I might add!  :grin:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: To those who believe in Mystical Healings [Re: Ravus]
    #3466344 - 12/08/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It's the same reason medication and medical treatments can't keep someone alive indefinitely. We are not meant to live forever, and the body will degrade over time despite all measures to reverse it.

We can temporarily bounce back, but we will always digress and die. You could say the same for any treatment, not just Mystical Healing

But, but, but all the books on spiritual healing tell of Gods' INFINITE power and as our biological theoretical limit is around 150-160 years and no one even approaches that, well you can see where I am going...

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3466465 - 12/08/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm with ravus on this one :smile:

Although I really do not know how powerful 'mystical healing' is, having never witnessed it :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #3467119 - 12/08/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Why is unlimited and divine healing so very, very limited?

You've obviously never witnessed a Psychic Surgery.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3470649 - 12/09/04 01:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'll add to Ravus' explanation by adding this: no cure will treat anything but the symptoms. For the disease to go away, the patient has to change their lifestyle (diet, exercise, stress factors, etc). No doctor - allopathic or homeopathic alike - is a magician, you can't heal if you don't want to change.

Whether or not you believe in a soul/aura/astral body/chi, you cannot ignore the subtle interactions (bi-lateral!) between body and mind.

As to the answer being obvious: it's so very limited because you jumped the gun when you calculated the Grim Reaper into the equation. Healing a person has nothing to do with avoiding death, it has to do with prolonging life, which is not entirely the same thing. Age is an untreatable disease - for now.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Edited by Alan Stone (12/09/04 01:24 PM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: To those who believe in Mystical Healings [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3470695 - 12/09/04 01:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'll add to Ravus' explanation by adding this: no cure will treat anything but the symptoms.

If it's a cure, doesn't it actually eliminate whatever the cause is? If you're only treating the symptoms, I don't see how it's a cure.

For the disease to go away, the patient has to change their lifestyle (diet, exercise, stress factors, etc). No doctor - allopathic or homeopathic alike - is a magician, you can't heal if you don't want to change.

What if it's one of the many diseases not caused by lack of excercise and diet? Increased excercise and good diet can certainly help to do things like boost the immune system, but that's not a panacea either.

Believe it or not, some things can be cured even if the patient wants to die.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3470705 - 12/09/04 01:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Healing a person has nothing to do with avoiding death, it has to do with prolonging life, which is not entirely the same thing.
This view can easily to ad hoc reasoning: If someone dies, then it was "their" time.

Age is an untreatable disease...
Isn't this just a negative belief?

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Re: To those who believe in Mystical Healings [Re: Phluck]
    #3470710 - 12/09/04 01:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

True. But all I'm saying is that there are more factors to treating and preventing disease than mere chemical treatments. Medicine is focused on treatment more than it is on prevention. If the symptoms go, the treatment ends.

EDIT: Please don't ignore context either. After exercise, diet and stress factors I added "etc" which was meant to imply that there are more reasons than those I stated. I don't know all of them, because I'm not a trained physician, but my best friend - who's more than half way his medical studies - often mentions other factors. I can't help the fact I'm not a person gifted with the most exact of memories.

On the issue of people not wanting to live... if they don't change their mind, they'll still die before their maximum age.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Edited by Alan Stone (12/09/04 01:36 PM)

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#3470727 - 12/09/04 01:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Please don't twist my words, Swami. If you view my words within their context, there is no way it can lead to the indicated reasoning.

Quote:

If someone dies, then it was "their" time.

If you read on (which I'm sure you did, because you quoted the next sentence), you will have noticed I implied that the ultimate cause for death is age.

Quote:

Isn't this just a negative belief?

I added "- for now". And in that context, it's a realistic belief, not negative.

--------------------

- Aristotle

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3470733 - 12/09/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think I've heard of a single doctor who doesn't recommend healthy eating and plenty of excercise.

Plus, there are lots of diseases that get treated before visible symptoms appear, and after they go away. Cancer and AIDS, for starters.

Either way, even having a perfect diet, avoiding all kinds of risk factors, and getting lots of excercise only reduces your odds of getting certain diseases. Sometimes the healthiest, happiest people in the world die of cancer at young ages. Prevention isn't perfect either.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3470796 - 12/09/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

On the issue of people not wanting to live... if they don't change their mind, they'll still die before their maximum age.

You reference absolutely no reasoning to base your statement on. A flat declaration carries no weight.

You take issue with my statement about ad hoc reasoning and here it rears it's ugly head AGAIN. As our current theoretical maximum age is about 150-160 years (this according to then number of times that healthy cells can divide), then WE ALL die before our maximum age.

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#3471049 - 12/09/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

More could be done, though. Like medical insurance benefits (cuts in the price, perhaps) if you go have a check-up regularly, and like a holistic approach to disease (mind, body and soul, proverbially). And who knows, perhaps placebo or psychosomatic effects can have an effect on disease prevention? The body's an amazing device, that much I know.

--------------------

- Aristotle

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#3471134 - 12/09/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

You reference absolutely no reasoning to base your statement on. A flat declaration carries no weight.

Besides suicide (which will kill you before your maximum age without doubt), I speak from personal experience. I've seen several elderly people die faster (within the next year) because their spouse had died and they felt like they had nothing left to live for.

Quote:

You take issue with my statement about ad hoc reasoning and here it rears it's ugly head AGAIN.

It wasn't ad hoc reasoning the first time. Now it was, because I didn't provide anything to back it up on. Fixed now.

On the maximum age being 150-160... if no single human has been proven to live that long, something must be influencing the rate at which our cells slow down.
Perhaps one or more of these might have something to do with it: a literally sedentary lifestyle for some; not enough clean, fresh air; not enough sunlight or too much; dietary issues (lack of Cesium for one if I'm not mistaken, excess/lack of minerals or vitamins, hormones and antibiotics in our meat); stress; fabric softeners and other pollution in our drinking water; EM radiation caused by cell phones, electricity pylons and electrical devices; smoking; drugs; cosmetic products; genetic defects; etc.

--------------------

- Aristotle

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3471177 - 12/09/04 02:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The MAXIMUM age for a species is not how long cell division can go on for, it is the maximum recorded age of a member of that species.

Right now, the maximum human age is estimated at around 120-130, based on the ages of the oldest humans on record.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3471261 - 12/09/04 03:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

And who knows, perhaps placebo or psychosomatic effects can have an effect on disease prevention?

Perhaps. It's an odd proposal though. You'd have to set up an organization to intentionally deceive people into good health.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: To those who believe in Mystical Healings [Re: trendal]
    #3471269 - 12/09/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Did you the word "theoretical" not appear on your screen as it did mine? Even humans that live to 120 are unlikely to have done everything possible for optimum life-span.

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#3471411 - 12/09/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Perhaps. It's an odd proposal though. You'd have to set up an organization to intentionally deceive people into good health.

I have an even more unusual proposal. I propose that organisation only have members that believe what they're doing has a real supernatural effect. If you don't know you're lying, you can't be exposed as a liar. However, those members should encourage patients to try every path to a cure, not to rely on their treatment alone.

I would argue those organisations are already in place (look at the title of this thread for a hint). People like Benny Hinn (sp?) live off of people willing to believe, though in his case the long-term effects are detrimental.
The trick lies in making it either harmless but preferrably beneficial for those undergoing the treatment.

The emphasis should be on an inclusive pratice of medicine, not on an elitist (based on stances of allopathic doctors' associations here in Belgium towards other healing practices) , exclusive application.

--------------------

- Aristotle

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#3473332 - 12/09/04 09:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I advise you read the island by huxley swami if you havent to this date.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Edited by BanJankri (12/09/04 09:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder