Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrayswan
Stranger
Slow colonization of PF jars
    #3464042 - 12/08/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi.
I'm using the Kamui Super Strain for the first time and am noticing some slow colonization in my half pint jars. I did up 5 of them 23 days ago and only 3 have mycelium thats made it to the bottom (top since inverted) rim of the jar, the bottom itself has not colonized yet. I'm using a TiT kept at 80 degrees (though in the learning process of how to keep it at a constant temperature I caught it at an annoying 93f for a few hours last week). The jars do not look dried out, if anything I put in more water than I needed. I've done a few more batches of the same strain and they all seem to be crawling along at the same slow pace. I don't think I killed the hyphae with the heat as they look healthy, still... So two questions.

Has anyone noticed that the Kamui super strain is just a slow colonizer and what does mycelium look like if it has experienced thermal death?

Thanks
~Grayswan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: Slow colonization of PF jars [Re: grayswan]
    #3464112 - 12/08/04 11:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My koh samui super strain rock in colonization.  Beat out my equadors by a week and a half when colonizing a pint jar... pretty good.

Mycelium gets a brown, burntish look to it after it's experienced thermal death.  I had that happen the first time I tried growing, but the mycelium overgrew the dead brown area after being left in the incubator well past 100% colonization and then fruited rather nicely.

I'm not sure why yours are colonizing so slow.  Try upping your incubation temp closer to 86 without exceeding it. :thumbup:

Temperature plays a massive role in how quickly your jars colonize.

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinegrayswan
Stranger
Re: Slow colonization of PF jars [Re: Silven]
    #3464148 - 12/08/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well you've abated my fears of thermal death at least. Thanks, Fry. I'm using a 2 to 1 verm, BRF mix and everyone else I've spoken to about that strain says its speedy as hell. I guess I'll just leave them alone to finish and go back to playing with my ecuadors for the mean time.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
    #3464152 - 12/08/04 11:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Do 2:1:1 Verm:BRF:Water

or check out http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7919/pag/2 for a PF calculator.

I just eye balled it my first time (2 days ago), and totally fucked myself out of a cambodian syringe, half a PESA syringe, and 2 days of waiting. Im gonna redo my jars today with the extra Lipa Yai strain i ordered.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #3464189 - 12/08/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

grayswan said:
The jars do not look dried out, if anything I put in more water than I needed.
Thanks
~Grayswan

Too much water can easily stop or slow colonization to a crawl. They'd have had to go well into the 100+ temp range for thermal death.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Offlinegrayswan
Stranger
Re: Slow colonization of PF jars [Re: Tantalus]
    #3464238 - 12/08/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That was my thought on the extra water as well. Also perhaps I packed the jars a little tighter than necessary. There's an extra tablespoon of water in each jar (5 instead of 4) but I really didn't think that would be enough to throw off the equation this much.

I know that thermal death happens at about 106f but my TiT could have reached 100f (extremely unlikely) while I wasn't looking and in conjunction with the internal heat generated by the mycelium... but as I said, since the mycelium still looks healthy as hell Im not worried about that.

I'm thinking I'll go back to 4 tablespoons of water per jar and continue to dunk between flushes.

Thanks.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3464335 - 12/08/04 11:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The problem could easily be that you "packed the jars a little tighter than necessary". You're not suppose to pack them it all. You optimally want to put the substrate into the jars VERY loosely. If there are big gaping pockets of air here and there, that's a good thing. If it's packed too tightly, the mycelium has a hard time 'digging' through the substrate to fully colonize the jar.

--------------------

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: Slow colonization of PF jars [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3464361 - 12/08/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, i've never tried the kamui super strain, but i have some ecuadors that are CREEPING!! i inoculated 6 pesa jars a week after the ec.s and i'm almost ready to birth the pesa. it's been a month and i'm using pint jars w/ the pf tek. i think i may have used too much water.

--------------------

:murray:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate