Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless!
    #3460867 - 12/07/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

BBC Link

'GM cocaine grown in Colombia'

Some Colombian drug growers are using genetically modified coca "trees" to boost cocaine production dramatically, government officials say.

Anti-drug operatives say they found new strains with yields eight times higher than normal coca plants.

Higher yields could help explain why cocaine prices have stayed low despite US and Colombian air attacks on farms.

Colombian scientists and US officials expressed doubts, claiming extra growth could be achieved using fertiliser.

The coca "trees" can stand over 2m tall (6ft 6in) and produce four times as much of the alkaloid active in cocaine, according to a dossier seen by Britain's Financial Times newspaper.

Although official Colombian figures claim that the area under coca cultivation has halved since 2000, evidence suggests that coca planters have managed to maintain a net level of cultivation.

German Manga, an assistant to the Colombian vice-president, told the BBC that planters were using new and sophisticated technology to maintain their levels of production.

Fertiliser theory

The leaked dossier said a new variety of coca plant had been discovered by anti-narcotics officers in the remote Sierra Nevada region of northern Colombia.

"In their search for greater profits, drug-traffickers appear to have entered the world of genetically modified crops," the dossier said.

Among the coca plants judged to have been genetically enhanced is one variety which grows up to 2.7m (9ft) tall - double the usual size.

Foreign agronomists have helped the coca growers to develop the new strain of plant, which is resistant to many commonly used herbicides and can yield as much as four times the regular concentration of cocaine, the Financial Times said.

But a Colombian toxicologist, Camilo Uribe, told Reuters news agency there was no evidence that the plants had been genetically modified.

The coca plants' excessive size could be because of "an excess of fertiliser", Mr Uribe said.

A spokesman for the US embassy in Bogota said there was "no scientific proof" that "transgenic coca" had been developed, although rumour of its existence were rife.

Government crackdown

The BBC's Jeremy McDermott in Bogota says the new discoveries threaten to undermine the gains made on the war on drugs in Colombia.

If the drugs trade cannot be destroyed, then the warring factions that earn up to $1bn a year from narcotics will be a lot harder to defeat, our correspondent adds.

Under the government of President Alvaro Uribe, elected in 2002, Colombia has attempted to crack down on cocaine production across the country.

He is an enthusiastic supporter of Plan Colombia, a US initiative to train Colombia's security forces and provide them with equipment and intelligence to tackle drug traffickers and destroy coca crops before they can be processed into cocaine.

Under Plan Colombia the country has become the world's third largest recipient of US military aid.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! [Re: blink]
    #3460871 - 12/07/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This could have gone in the shroomery news service but I wanted it to get some more traffic, it's a big deal :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMarshmallow
Stranger

Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! [Re: blink]
    #3460913 - 12/07/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

thats crazy if its true, i cant imagine how the gov would fight back when people are genetically enhancing production
i geuss we will have to sit back and see

--------------------
Acosta: [singing] Let's give the boy a lift. Raoul Duke: What? No! We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#3460992 - 12/07/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i'd be willing to bet that 'genetically modified' just means some time has been spent selectively breeding to stabilize a desired phenotype.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3461038 - 12/07/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

old news, this is in the shroomery news service already.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3461169 - 12/07/04 06:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
old news, this is in the shroomery news service already.

I posted this about a month ago...

this is the BBC reporting on it, which is bit more formal and much less of a 'story' than the one I posted previous to this.

As for genetically modified vs selectively bred: If you take a plant and make it immune to Roundup (the herbicide in use) over the course of 4-5 years of spraying, I think that it's a fair accomplishment. Considering it would take mother nature 20+ years to mutate around it, the 'peer2peer' network of trading cocoa cuttings to get a super plant over this short of a timespan is incredibly impressive.

I mean look at how long it took to get cannibus as potent as it is now, decades... contrast with this story and you see the time it takes to selectively breed and cuts it by a factor of 5.

The best part is that when the DEA sprays, they eliminate all other weeds competing with the cocoa and the farmers get an awesome yield out of it!

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3461187 - 12/07/04 06:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't follow the link, but this seems to be reporting on a different adaptation than the older article. The other article dealt with the development of roundup resistant strains of cocoa, apparently through an efficient and noncentrallized farmer network. This seems to be a report on higher yeild crops, which compensate for the acerage destroyed by the Colombian and American gov'ts.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3461258 - 12/07/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The best part is that when the DEA sprays, they eliminate all other weeds competing with the cocoa and the farmers get an awesome yield out of it!

They also kill the surrounding fragile environment

I don't like cocaine, but anything to piss off the DEA is good news to me. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, even though I'd rather have this be about a new more effective LSD synthesis than an herbicide resistant coca strain

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! [Re: Ravus]
    #3461373 - 12/07/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Quote:

They also kill the surrounding fragile environment

I don't like cocaine, but anything to piss off the DEA is good news to me. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, even though I'd rather have this be about a new more effective LSD synthesis than an herbicide resistant coca strain

:cheers: to that

I would have to say that roundup is the lesser of two evils when compared to  a somewhat-genetically targeted mold or something worse...

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3461433 - 12/07/04 07:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

jesus fucking christ - thats what the world needs...some GM FunkyTown - fuck me.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! *DELETED* [Re: blink]
    #3461509 - 12/07/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Anonymous

#3461630 - 12/07/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

great... more coke. give me a fucking heart attack.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! [Re: ]
    #3462121 - 12/07/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This was posted on the edot forums a while back:

http://www.entheogen.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000492

edit: I somehow missed blinkidiots link to this when he posted it in another thread...my mistake.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Edited by Hooty (12/07/04 09:58 PM)

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #3462167 - 12/07/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

wtf????

Edited by skunk78395 (12/07/04 10:07 PM)

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! [Re: Skunk420]
    #3462194 - 12/07/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Another problem for the government with this new type of plant is the small area needed to grow large amounts.

Before the average farm which yielded decent profit was 3 hectares or more, now they can obviously make more in about 1 hectare.

When planes spray fields they need 3 or more hectares, or they cannot. So, they can't spray these small, profitable, fields.

This information came from an article I read almost a year ago, this rumor has been around for a while.

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Genetically Modified Cocoa Plants will render the drug war against Cocoa useless! *DELETED* [Re: Skunk420]
    #3462324 - 12/07/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3462329 - 12/07/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

it would almost make it worth trying to grow at home :smile:

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order