Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrand_new
Stranger
Jars are taking toooooooooooo long!
    #3461520 - 12/07/04 07:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well i have 4 1/2 pint jars of 50/50 verm/brf with Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain spores, they have been colonizing for 3 weeks and still arent done.I have this rice pad that i heat up multiple times a day and set on top of the jars with a few shirts in between to help regulate the heat. Any input would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: Jars are taking toooooooooooo long! [Re: brand_new]
    #3461547 - 12/07/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Optimal colonization parameters are a constant temperature of 86F and storage in a dark place. Assuming that these two conditions are met and without any pics my guess would be that you packed your substrate to tightly into the jars and it's taking the mycelium awhile to break through. It should eventually fully colonize however. You'll just have to have a bit more patience. Sorry.

--------------------

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
    #3461548 - 12/07/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nothing really to worry about. As long as they aren't contaminated they are fine. If it's bothering you too much, you need to upgrade your incubation conditions.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3461554 - 12/07/04 08:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is it supposed to be 50/50? I thought less verm was supposed to be used. Not a cake man myself.

First of all flip your jars. Second of all whats covering the holes? I imagine they are taped? If so, remove the tape. It should go BRF/verm in the jar, verm on top, metal lid with 4 holes, metal ring, tin foil. Third, thats a poor way to heat jars. Temps need to not only be exactly 80-86, but they can't fluctuate either which I would bet that neither is true the way your doing it. This will extend colonization times. Fourth it can take over a month for PF Tek jars to colonize, especially if water content isn't good. Optimal conditions will give you a much quicker time but being new and the info you gave you sound far from optimal. Hope this helps!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Jars are taking toooooooooooo long! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3461724 - 12/07/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yes its 2-1 verm-rice. so for every cup of verm there will only be 1/2 cup of rice. the reason for this is so there will be "air pockets". without these air pockets you have no exchange of gases, which can slow or even halt growth altogether. i hope it works out try giving them a really good shake and see what happens.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jars are taking toooooooooooo long! [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3461756 - 12/07/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh its more verm and less BRF to be used? Either way I thought it was 2-1...that probably has a lot to do with it. I wouldnt shake them though..PF TEK I dont think should be shook. Never done the PF myself though..I've just never heard of that being the thing to do.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: Jars are taking toooooooooooo long! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3461768 - 12/07/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

its the thing i do. and it works fine for me. cuts off a couple of days to colonize. sometimes the cakes havent shrunk enough to shake, but most of the times it has been. but i dont know if its common practice but i do it and i have no complaints and i would recomend it to anyone with some sort of colonizing time problem. just me though someone probably disagrees though.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3461794 - 12/07/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I do it as well, but like lemon said, you have to wait until the cake shrinks a bit. Before it's colonized to the point that it starts to shrink, any shaking you do will only further pack down the substrate and this is definately a bad thing. After the myc has established a decent foothold, however, it is a useful technique to employ for rapid gas exchange. Just think of it the same as you think of fanning your fruiting chamber. Well, that's my take on it anyways.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: Jars are taking toooooooooooo long! [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3461821 - 12/07/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

oh yeah another little trick i do to my stalled cakes is hold them over my hepa with hole facing the hepa, kinda like forced gas exchange, dont know if it works but they do seem to grow better, but i could just be crazy.

--------------------

Offlinedjred

#3461933 - 12/07/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

man your using brf cakes..its going to take forever..im using half pint wbs and it's been 10 days..they still are not done .but i used spores ..but now i have a nice karo jar of cotton myc to use next time.

OfflineRevMax
Stranger
Loc: Earth
Re: Jars are taking toooooooooooo long! [Re: djred]
    #3462482 - 12/07/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

3 weeks is not that bad. I am going away for 24 days an plan on innoculating just before I leave, and birthing when I return.

Offlineinsanity_420
Beginner
Re: Jars are taking toooooooooooo long! [Re: RevMax]
    #3463706 - 12/08/04 08:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yah i planted 6 jars about 4 weeks ago 3 were done in 3 weeks and 2 were about half done and one had nothing after 3 weeks. Its been another week now and the 2 that were growing seem to have stopped. For days now im waiting on a spot the size of 2 quarters. its on the bottom corner i tried a little shake didnt work, i tried a little tippage of the jar that didnt work. i even carefully opened the jar for some air exchange and that didnt work Now the jar that had NOTHING in it is shootin like a bat outta hell and is almost cought up to the other 2. Temp is constant 86 with complete darkness
I dont think there is anything else that i can do. These jas should be done now though =( I hate waiting

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3463717 - 12/08/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Keeping temps "consistant" during colonization is very important . Ups and downs in temp can be the biggest cause of the problems you are having . Find a place where you can keep temp "consistant " , yes optimal is 86 , but if you can keep them "consistantly" 80 verses up and down you will notice better colonization IMHO . And heat the area you keep them , not the jars themselves , ambient temp is important to all forms of life  :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags