Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinecountZero
the strange
Loc: South Africa
thousands of tiny bugs!
    #3459365 - 12/07/04 01:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Shortly after coming home from holiday in Mozambique I noticed many tiny whitish dots on one of my casings. Foolishly I ignored it. Within a day it spread to all my casings and today I threw them all out. Heartbreaking. Anyway I'd love to know what these critters are. They are 0.2 millimeters long and move around quite fast. here is a picture of the blighters I took on the outside of one of my casings.

the inside of the casing was extremely full the the bastards and my substrate had turned green and the mycelium had vanished (eaten by the low lives?). Even while taking the photo they crawled at least a foot across my desk. I think I'll just dump and/or sterilize anything that comes into contact with my cultivation area and equipment. ho hum, back to the drawing board.  :microwave:

--------------------
(,)(,)

*.....*

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMr_Clean
Stranger
Re: thousands of tiny bugs! [Re: countZero]
    #3459603 - 12/07/04 02:38 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Possibly the larva of these critters.

Fungus gnats (Sciarids) (Lycoriella spp.) and phorids (Megaselia spp.)

Adults are small (1/8 inch long), fragile grayish to black flies with long, slender legs and thread-like antennae. Their wings are clear or smoky-colored with no pattern and few distinct veins. Larvae are clear to creamy-white and can grow to about 1/4 inch long. They have shiny black head capsules.
They are attracted to the mushroom crop and their larvae feed directly on mycelium, swarm over the mushroom, and tunnel into the developing or developed mushroom. Tissues that have been physically damaged by flies often become colonized by bacteria which cause soft rot, thereby accentuating the problem. Controls include strict sanitation and general farm hygiene. For example, the grow room must be air tight. Fresh air that is used is filtered. Even a small crack will serve as an entry for the flies. Most farms use sticky tape or some other method that allows monitoring of populations. A biocontrol using nematodes offers effective control when populations of flies are low. In addition to the damage which fly larvae cause by eating mushroom mycelium or killing pins, the adults also carry diseases such as Verticillium, Mycogone and Cobweb.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3461315 - 12/07/04 08:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Could also be mites. . .in any case, you sound like you have a good plan.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: thousands of tiny bugs! [Re: Suntzu]
    #3461402 - 12/07/04 09:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If you have casings, with a casing layer (obviously) and you use D.E. to  slice  up the larvae in the casing layer, does this work?  Or will they still damage the myc. as that's where they feed?  Thanks.    :grin:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflinecountZero
the strange
Loc: South Africa
Re: thousands of tiny bugs! [Re: Suntzu]
    #3465083 - 12/08/04 04:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I think that's the one.They seem to look like mites. I never saw any adult bugs and these creatures are tiny. They also reproduce at an alarming rate. I left some pf jars in the hope they would survive (with a coffee filter filter). Somehow they even got through that and started eating at an almost fully colonised cake! I wish I'd taken a photo but in my disgusted I threw the whole lot out in the bin outside. What I need to know is how to nuke the room I use for cultivation so that none of these guys survive (it feels like one of those Alien movies). After that I think I'll move everything to another room, just in case.

--------------------
(,)(,)

*.....*

Offlineshrimshrams
One that is not

#3465823 - 12/08/04 06:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

have you considered fumigation, that'll kill'm

--------------------
funk not only moves; it removes. dig?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3466887 - 12/08/04 09:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I had a mite problem once. Like most insect infestations [well, arachnid anyway] they're hard to eliminate without having to trash everything. 10% bleach liberally!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum