Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechuckolah
Stranger
Would like experienced grower's opinions
    #3456824 - 12/06/04 08:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Im new to the shroom world and for the past couple weeks I have been reading up on the different teks. When I first ordered some spores I had only read the Shroom Wizards guide. Now, after reading a lot on this site, I realized no one suggests using this method. I understand that the idea of leaving the soil out in the open during the growing stage leaves the contents highly vulnerable to molds and what not but... I like the idea of crumbling the jars contents after colonization and spreading it throughout soil and letting the mycelium take over an entire bed of soil, rather than just growing off of a solid cake. It seems to me that the final yield would be higher that way??? Like I said, I'm a newbie so maybe crumbling the cakes is a bad thing but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, as I am trying to be very cautious on my fist attempt. I would like to get a large yeild, of avg shrooms, not necessarily a few large ones like i see in the terrariums with nothing but a cake. Lowes hardware sells bags of soil thats called something like "Shroom Soil"....it has pics of mushrooms on it and is used for growing shrooms...obviously. Has anyone every heard of this and tried using it? Maybe making a layer of it over crumbled cakes??? Sorry if all of this makes me sound like an idoit....Im new :smile:

Here is what I was planning on doing.....

After 12 pint jars are fully colonized from 2 syringes making 4 shoe box sized containers with a perlite and soil mix, then adding the mycelium, and topping it with more of the shroom soil. Then closing off each box for a couple more weeks until that whole thing is covered. Then removing the lids and storing all of the boxes in a large container with a humidifier rigged up to it.

Would this process work for making a good amount of flushes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

Re: Would like experienced grower's opinions [Re: chuckolah]
    #3456899 - 12/06/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That isn't the only tek that uses "spawning." Use manure and hay instead of soil. I have never tried this personally, but you can get huge yields if you do it right. I wouldn't go by shroom wizards tek since I've heard it sucks. Try reading more teks and find what you think seems best for you.

--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3456926 - 12/06/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

1st time pf tek(BFR)or millit,rye grass seed. Same as BRF.

800plus cakes.I also know about contam's. And contam's...

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinechuckolah
Stranger
    #3456943 - 12/06/04 08:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If I make a casing out of whatever....the yield will be much greater than simply growing off of cakes tho right?

BTW....I was talking about this stuff called Mushroom Soil, does anyone know anything about it....think it is worth a shot?

Edited by chuckolah (12/06/04 08:50 PM)

Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
    #3456965 - 12/06/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

correct

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Would like experienced grower's opinions [Re: dmc_]
    #3457019 - 12/06/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

depends what's in the mushroom soil. could you give a list of ingredients? sounds like some souped up compost to me.

i'd try the cake method first just to get the hang of things, then move on to casing. :smile: worked for me.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinechuckolah
Stranger
Re: Would like experienced grower's opinions [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3457154 - 12/06/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Heres what I could find online about "Mushroom Soil"

http://www.lawnsunlimitedinc.com/products.htm

"Decomposed chicken manure, animal feed (i.e., cornhusks), and straw which is well-aged, so it has turned into soil. Being very high in nitrogen, it should not be used straight because it will burn plants if not mixed with topsoil. It has a strong odor, which disappears once it has settled (a few days). The recommended ratio is 2/3 top to 1/3/ mushroom soil. "

and a lot more info about it here http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/Spent.htm

Could it be useful? Not sure if its the same stuff I saw at Lowes but fairly confident b/c I remember the bag talking about being rich in organic stuff and what not...

Edited by chuckolah (12/06/04 09:23 PM)

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3457196 - 12/06/04 09:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

high in nitrogen... eew. might burn the myc.

sounds like they just threw mushroom casings into a compost heap.

i wouldn't use it, what do you other guys think?

--------------------

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3457225 - 12/06/04 09:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Shroom soil?lol, ummm, you mean substrate, there's a lot of different things you can use. Compost/manure/hay is usually the best substarte but most people i kno use rye,millet, or wbs and nOOb's usually start with brf cakes because it's a simple way to introduce them with the vernicular terms around here and helps them get acquinated with the mushroom life cycles, or they jus read lol, you're new so its kool, if you want some indepth info , Pm me and ill explain substrates and casings to you and help you on ur way, Gl :thumb up:

OfflineZeroArmy27

Re: Would like experienced grower's opinions [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3457249 - 12/06/04 09:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i meant that it might be useful as a casing mix, but not to spawn to. someone else reply.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Would like experienced grower's opinions *DELETED* [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3457261 - 12/06/04 09:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by IGnosticAbhorI

Reason for deletion: Delet

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3457272 - 12/06/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i've been around long enough to know my vocab, holmes. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3457277 - 12/06/04 09:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

No. I agree, I wouldnt use it either : /

Offlinechuckolah
Stranger
    #3457368 - 12/06/04 09:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Naw I know Im a noob and dont have correct terminology but I was referring to an actual soil called Mushroom Soil...I was calling it Shroom Soil for short. And I was just wondering if it could maybe be used as a growing medium since in nature shrooms can grow off of shit or enriched soils....thanks for the help and suggestions tho.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3457982 - 12/06/04 11:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Did you find this "Mushroom Soil" in a nursery? This is most likely spent mushroom substrate that is then sold as plant fertilizer. It would be of no use to the mushroom cultivator as it is, well, spent.

Crumble your cakes and case them with coir and verm. Done properly this will increase your yield over fruiting as cakes.

Or you could even use the crumbled cakes to spawn bulk. Read some teks and take your pick. Good luck.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Would like experienced grower's opinions [Re: dog]
    #3458258 - 12/07/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yea sorry zero,lol, and i agree with dog, theres a bunch to read, the sooner ya start the sooner ull be at picking off your first flush, Gl

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3458588 - 12/07/04 04:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I did some reading bout compost yesterday and Nitrogen should be relative high. Also they recommend chicken shit in the compost.

Here is a link then you can compare the ingredients and ratios.

As long as it smells ammonia it is not ready for use, and you should pasteurize it anyway.
http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/Preparation.htm

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale