Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: My beef with christianity [Re: tekramrepus]
    #3456020 - 12/06/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have a beef with any religion which holds up a sacred text to be the center of their faith. Any student of philosophy, or anyone who's had tripping experiences similar to mine, can understand how inaccurate and ineffecient language can be at describing things. Language uses abstractions of concepts which hold several different meanings to different people. If there is an all-powerful God who has a message to give each and every one of us, it seems it would be more efficient for him to give each of us direct revelation, rather than having several different authors write it down in such a way that there are countless different interpretations. The way I see it, no sacred text can be infallible because language itself is fallible.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

Re: My beef with christianity [Re: silversoul7]
    #3456034 - 12/06/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

seems it would be more efficient for him to give each of us direct revelation, rather than having several different authors write it down in such a way that there are countless different interpretations.

But there are O SO MANY REVELATIONS outside of the bible from the Holy Spirit!

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: My beef with christianity [Re: ld50negative1]
    #3456048 - 12/06/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ld50negative1 said:
But there are O SO MANY REVELATIONS outside of the bible from the Holy Spirit!

I'm not talking about seeing the Virgin Mary on a pork rind.

--------------------

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3456053 - 12/06/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

eh? me either...

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #3456067 - 12/06/04 05:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So maybe God didn't appear to anyone...ever.

I would be inclined to believe that God does exist, but that he decided to leave us to our own doings and remain an observer.

Maybe everyone who has ever claimed that God has conveined with them has been an opportunistic liar.

I mean, why should God wipe our asses? he/she/it gave us a blue-green planet with water, food, and air, the ability to reproduce ourselves, and millions of different possibilities.

Why should we as mankind expect that we can be given a paradise, fuck it all up beyond all recognition, and have our gracious host clean our mess and reset us?

If I were God I would not have a fucking word to say to the human race either, we as a human race are stupid mother fuckers.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3456084 - 12/06/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

My point is that something out of the ordinary happening doesn't in and of itself constitute "revelation." What I'm saying is why can't God reveal his truth to each of us individually in a way that transcends the limitations of language. If mushrooms can do that for me, I'm sure an all-powerful God could do the same.

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: My beef with christianity [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #3456088 - 12/06/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Mark, thanks for the post, I enjoyed it much.

However, I must still say that I do not believe jesus ate meat. I would never accept a teacher who claims to be Christed who eats meat. Its absurd.

Also, I do not believe jesus was Jewish. I cannot acept a teacher who claims to be jewish, but doesnt follow jewish practices (He didnt believe in animal sacrifice, he healed people on the sabbath, he spoke about his differences of his mind and the scriptures, etc etc)

Also, I know a FACT jesus did NOT worship Yahweh.

He worshipped GOD, not a celestial being. The god he worshipped could be found under a rock, in ourselves, in teh air, he taught that god is EVERYTHING.

Now, I guess orthodox christianity says I'm wrong.
Scripture says I'm wrong.
History might even say I'm wrong.

These are fine, but my heart speaks louder.

The correct path cannot be found in history, scripture, or "orthodox" christianity. It can be found in our hearts only.

Someday, someday soon, truth will be revealed.

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3456134 - 12/06/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
My point is that something out of the ordinary happening doesn't in and of itself constitute "revelation." What I'm saying is why can't God reveal his truth to each of us individually in a way that transcends the limitations of language. If mushrooms can do that for me, I'm sure an all-powerful God could do the same.

God certainly can do this, but as the scripture says, God draws close to those who draw close to HIM. It's all about free will. If God presented you with an absolute occurence IE appearing before you and speaking with you. Then where is the free will? This whole CREATION is all about choice.

Seriously, go crack open a Bible with an open mind and most importantly an OPEN HEART. Whole heartedly seek God and you WILL find him! You don't need "occurences" to first believe; you need an open mind and heart. Forget all "rationality", don't try to reason and relate it to physical things. If you seek out God you will understand why things like what you look for do not exist.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3456192 - 12/06/04 05:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I love the circular logic Christians use when it comes to this. God will reveal himself to me, but only if I already believe in him. Well, what good does that do me? If I'm already converted, I don't need to be shown.

--------------------

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3456211 - 12/06/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I love the circular logic Christians use when it comes to this. God will reveal himself to me, but only if I already believe in him. Well, what good does that do me? If I'm already converted, I don't need to be shown.

All I'm saying is investigate and look for answers in the bible with an open mind and heart.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3456219 - 12/06/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ld50negative1 said:
All I'm saying is investigate and look for answers in the bible with an open mind and heart.

Been there. Done that. Grew up. Never looked back.

--------------------

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3456226 - 12/06/04 06:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

there isn't much else I can say then.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#3456383 - 12/06/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You may have been "there", but it looks like you never "did that".

There is plenty of wisdom and enlightenment within the pages of the bible my friend.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3456395 - 12/06/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:
There is plenty of wisdom and enlightenment within the pages of the bible my friend.

I agree. It's not all one thing and none of the other. There's plenty of wisdom mixed up with the bullshit.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#3456420 - 12/06/04 06:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

As is life. The bible was obviously never intended to read like a fairy tale but as reality as it applies to human beings.

As far as whether or not the bible has had shit added to it, I would agree probably so, simply because the bible continually warns against it.

So I'm sure somebody probably disregarded the warning and did it anyway in the name of population control.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#3456426 - 12/06/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'll tell people, I do not worship the bible, I worship God.

The bible is just a book.

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3456456 - 12/06/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

why?
According to Jesus, what goes in your mouth is not filthy -- its what comes out of it that can be. We should choose what we eat and not demand a particular diet of our role model ( this is what you are doing, no? )

If thou shalt not kill applied to everything, how could you eat fruit? There are, after all, many different things living in fruits, not limited to worms and tiny beetles and such. The Jainists would point out all the microbial life as well. Furthermore, how is eating fruit perfectly good? It's essentially that plant's please-don't-kill-me allowance that it adapted.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3456464 - 12/06/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i think it is great that something with so many inconsistent events can still provide us with knowledge that could lead to wisdom.

maybe that's the point...I don't care about who jesus worshipped, but I do care about how compassionate he was towards others.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3456504 - 12/06/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:
I'll tell people, I do not worship the bible, I worship God.

The bible is just a book.

:laugh:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: My beef with christianity [Re: kaiowas]
    #3456514 - 12/06/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

kaiowas said:
i think it is great that something with so many inconsistent events can still provide us with knowledge that could lead to wisdom.

While it is great that it can still lead some to wisdom, it is also a shame that it has to do so in a way that misleads many people along the way to that wisdom to the point that they a.) would claim it is the ONLY way and condemn other ways, or b.) Take the entire contents of the bible (or any other book {written by man!!!} in question for that matter) for literal word of god.

I also think that all the major religions that are prominent at this time are suffering the exact same problem.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale