Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Supreme Court Denies Klan Appeal to Anti-Mask Law
    #3454032 - 12/06/04 12:29 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&am...c&printer=1

Quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) rejected on Monday a free-speech challenge to a New York law banning the wearing of masks at public gatherings by a group claiming ties to the Ku Klux Klan.

Without comment, the justices let stand a ruling by a U.S. appeals court that upheld the law as constitutional and rejected the challenge by the Church of the American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

The group advocates white separatism and "white pride." It calls itself an "ideological descendant" of the original Klan, but says it does not use violence. Members wear white robes and hooded masks at public rallies and demonstrations, just like the Klan.

In 1999, the American Knights filed a lawsuit arguing that the refusal of New York City police officials to allow it to conduct a rally wearing hooded masks violated its free-speech rights under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Seventeen of its members attended the rally on Oct. 23, 1999, but they did not wear masks.

A federal judge in 2002 ruled that the law violated the group's free-speech rights, but a U.S. appeals court early this year upheld the anti-mask law as constitutional.

"Since the robe and the hood alone clearly serve to identify the American Knights with the Klan, we conclude that the mask does not communicate any message that the robe and hood do not," the appeals court said.

Attorneys from the American Civil Liberties Union, which has represented the group during the legal battle, appealed to the Supreme Court.

They argued the appeals court was wrong in concluding that the First Amendment right of anonymous speech does not cover a right to conceal one's appearance at a public demonstration because of fear of retaliation and harassment.

The attorneys said the ruling could have a broad impact, affecting other groups across the political spectrum. For example, "persons of Iranian descent who protested against the shah and who wore masks out of fear of reprisals against family members in Iran would not have been protected," they said.

New York officials told the high court the city's compelling interest in law enforcement and public safety outweighed any burdens on the group's free-speech rights.

They said the law only applied in certain situations, such as rallies, and that the group's masked members could take part in the city's Halloween Parade without risk of arrest under the law.

I have no love for the KKK, but this 'ruling' basically says that there is no protection for anybody in the US for remaining anonymous. There has been a steady decline in the ability to remain anonymous within the US over the last few decades and this reinforces my opinion that soon there will be no such than as 'anonymous'.

Already you cannot travel anonymously, you cannot open a bank account anonymously, you cannot get a credit card anonymously, you cannot get a postal address anonymously, etc. Now you cannot even speak anonymously... how long before they implant identifier chips into each of us at birth... *sigh*

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Supreme Court Denies Klan Appeal to Anti-Mask Law [Re: Seuss]
    #3454091 - 12/06/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

you mean you don't have your chip in your palm you :wink: :lol:?

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlinethegnomeking
friendly stoner

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Supreme Court Denies Klan Appeal to Anti-Mask Law [Re: gdman]
    #3455077 - 12/06/04 04:31 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

who gives a fuck whether or not they ware hoods? there still promoting hate either way. I know if I was a racist redneck ass hole I wouldn't want people to know who I was either. but I definitely agree people should have the right to remain anonymous, so let the ignorant fucks ware their hoods

--------------------
1.Thou shalt not alter the consciousness of thy fellow man.
2.Thou shalt not prevent thy fellow man from altering his own consciousness.
-Timothy Leary

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Supreme Court Denies Klan Appeal to Anti-Mask Law [Re: thegnomeking]
    #3457813 - 12/07/04 01:21 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

They should be allowed to wear hoods, but they should not be allowed to cut out eye holes.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co.
Re: Supreme Court Denies Klan Appeal to Anti-Mask Law [Re: Rose]
    #3458637 - 12/07/04 07:56 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
They should be allowed to wear hoods, but they should not be allowed to cut out eye holes.

Here Here

--------------------

$30, help me out and buy one!
Square Store - https://squareup.com/store/peace-angel-clothing-ent

Paypal - peaceangelclothingent@gmail.com

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Supreme Court Denies Klan Appeal to Anti-Mask Law [Re: sui]
    #3458642 - 12/07/04 08:05 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

The hoods and clans isn't what is important... what is important is that the supreme court is indicating that in order to invoke your rights to freedom of speech you must identify yourself; that you cannot remain anonymous and have 1st ammendment rights because of the needs of law enforcemet. How long before it is illegal to publish anonymously?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service