Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
Color of Salvia leaves(dry)
    #343730 - 06/18/01 04:49 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

what is the color??

Oh yeh is it normal for leaves to fall off ? i mean they are still green and they fall off? if this is not normal then what would be the problem? too much h20, too little sunlight?

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Color of Salvia leaves(dry) [Re: hubertd8]
    #344153 - 06/19/01 03:06 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

It's normal for some leaves to fall off. I wouldn't worry unless all the leaves are falling off and the plant is wilting or turning yellow. Are new leaves also growing?

When dried, the leaves turn a much darker green colour than they are on the plant. Some may also turn light brown, but I usually find these leaves are not so strong.

Anonymous

Re: Color of Salvia leaves(dry) [Re: Phyl]
    #344497 - 06/19/01 04:17 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Well some plants have no leaves at the moment but i believe that new ones are forming. I'm guessing this is just a shock from the shipping. Anyways thanx,

oh yeh can too much water be unhealthy for my plants? i mean how do i know when they need water? I am asking this cause i know sd needs alot of water just wanna know how much is too much?

And what is the best way of drying? now i'm just using my mush-dessicant chamber(leaves come out very dark green to brown), should i switch to the oven method?

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Re: Color of Salvia leaves(dry) [Re: Anonymous]
    #344521 - 06/19/01 04:54 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

sorry forgot to log in

--------------------

Bertrand Russell

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #344566 - 06/19/01 06:07 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Too much water can cause root rot and other root diseases, depending on your soil mix of course. You can always use the gardeners fail safe method of checking to see if a plant needs water, if you insert a dry popsicle stick about 1/2in to an inch into the soil and it comes out clean, then it is time to water. In other words wait until the soil about a half inch below the top begins to dry before you water again.

Tired of pimping yourself on the corner to afford spores? Well throw out that red dress and go to the FSR, for spores even you can afford.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Color of Salvia leaves(dry) [Re: Anonymous]
    #344941 - 06/20/01 04:03 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, sounds like shock. So long as new leaves are forming, then it should be fine...

It's a common misconception that salvia need a lot of water. They don't. They like a humid environment, but if they are over watered they will quickly get root rot and die. I give my plants a big drink every time I see the leaves start to droop a little, which is usually once every 4 or 5 days.

Drying salvia can be done any way you want to. Salvinorin is not destroyed by heat (Unless it's really hot), so you can dry them in the oven on the lowest setting if you would like to (I've done this a number of times with no noticable loss in potency). I usually just spread my leaves out on a black plastic bin-liner, and leave them in the sun for a few days.

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Re: Color of Salvia leaves(dry) [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #345293 - 06/20/01 03:12 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

great idea, got to get me sopme popsicles,

if new leaves are growing then can it still be root rot? and if i just stop watering for a bit will this stop the rot or is it too late?

my soil mix was about 50% organicly fert. potting soil, 30%peat moss, and 15 verm. and 5 perlite. Hope i didn't screw up too much, i just though that i needed something that holds a lot of water. I gave my plants a fair amount of water and root starter after transplanting them from the little containers they were shipped in, (the plants were root bound) so i'm hoping this problem is just shock related and not something i might lose my plants over. I'm kinda scared i'll lose my babies.

Now the plants are in a rubbermaid container with a bit of perlite on bottom, i expose em to ~2hrs natural sunlight a day and about 14hr of flourecent fan anf mist about 6-9x a day, is this over doing it or not?

--------------------

Bertrand Russell

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Re: Color of Salvia leaves(dry) [Re: Phyl]
    #345294 - 06/20/01 03:13 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

thanxs for the info,

--------------------

Bertrand Russell

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #345384 - 06/20/01 05:17 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

If the leaves are just falling off green, then its shock, if the whole plant is wilting and turning yellowish then its probably root problems. It sounds like you may be supplying alot of humidity. I don't know how salvia handles excess humidity, but I know most plants start to get powdery mildew and other fungus diseases. You may still be good, like I said I don't know salvia's humidity standards, for most of my herbs and other house plants I just sit them on a tray of river rocks with a little water in the bottom for humidity.

Tired of pimping yourself on the corner to afford spores? Well throw out that red dress and go to the FSR, for spores even you can afford.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Re: Color of Salvia leaves(dry) [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #346077 - 06/21/01 04:07 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

thats a good idea,

anyways i repotted and the soil the plants were shipped in seemed very moist, my new mix has 3org. potting mix -1perlite-.25 horticultural sand parts to it, hopefully the moisture will will spread through the new soil and my plants might see another day.

thanx for the info everyone.

--------------------

Bertrand Russell

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale