Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Contam?
    #3452463 - 12/06/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

btw, those yellow spots on the middle one are just from old tape
Made from

This is mexicana a strain. But, I'm beginning to consider the possibility that they are totally contaminated. Mexicana generally produces whispy light mycellium. Also they have been fully colonized for weeks and not shown anything like sclerotia.

I've realized that the rye grass jars had far too much water in them. It settled in many areas, making the grain clumpy and nasty (sticking to the wall a lot too) so, I've certainly considered the possibility of wet spot mold, but I can't tell. All I know is that the jars don't look anything like the normal mex a pictures I see.

This ^^^ jar was made the same way, but after simmering the grain, the jar was placed upside down (hole in lid) and drained for 24 hours. Its a step in the right direction, much less clumpy, and looks healthier.

Thats one last image, made with the first batch, only its a quart.

Can anyone tell if any or all of these are contamed?

Thanks

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Contam? [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3454203 - 12/06/04 01:07 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Does look rather odd, although it doesn't seem that they have contaminated... Could be bacterial... Keep an eye on them... Do they smell funny?

OfflineSiphersh
Self-proclaimedhuman
Loc: Hungary
Re: Contam? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3454472 - 12/06/04 01:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I always keep mine as dry as possible, and make sure that it can take as much water as it wants in the fruiting phase under the casing layer. Actually, I put the colonized grain in a wet perlite bed, and put an inorganic casing layer on it. If the substrate is not too wet grain, bacteria have no chance. I do it this way because I couldn't handle the bacterial contamination problem otherwise.

The pictures don't look like showing contaminated stuff to me. I don't know. Wait till they are colonized, and then smell them.

The "simmered" one looks a bit cobwebish and way too wet, and what are those black spots in the first picture? Are they shadows, because we can look through in between the grains, or is it a black something?

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Contam? [Re: Siphersh]
    #3454666 - 12/06/04 02:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Black spots? Some areas look darker because the mycellium is thinner. The huge camera flash illuminated the whitest parts much more. The smaller spots are just bits of grain.

Thanks for the replies. They smell like rye grass seed. Maybe a lil fungusy, nothing unusual.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlineballs
thats right
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3455114 - 12/06/04 04:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Contam? [Re: balls]
    #3456360 - 12/06/04 08:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

One of those first three was lost to lipstick mold. damn.

Edit: just read about Fusarium and how dangerous it is. Am now scared shitless.

Upon reading tmc, I'm starting to think maybe its MONILIA, or Neurospora.

Monilia can vary substantially
in color on grain spawn: from a thick whitish mycelial mat to a powdery white, gray or pink colored
mycelium. Perhaps the most devastating form is the whitish one for its resemblence to mushroom
mycelium.

--------------------

Edited by elgr (12/06/04 09:24 PM)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3456638 - 12/06/04 09:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

One thing I used to do for jars that were questionable is to give them a good shaking. If they recolonize very quickly, [overnight or so] that is NOT a good sign. Usually when you do this, it unmasks mold problems and you may see colors that you didn't see before. It's not a bad idea to PC jars that are rife with mold before disposal.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Contam? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3456959 - 12/06/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yep, unfortunately I have a tiny PC, but I'd do that. If its a widescale problem (a dozen quarts, for instance) then extreme measures will need to be taken.

As far as jars recolonizing. They colonized quickly to begin with, but shaking certainly doesn't have an immediate comeback, simply distributes the myc and it eventually regains its foothold. Normal.

The jar I opened had a strange amber like liquid on the top. I'd say its myc piss based on the color and all, but I'm used to seeing that on the sides, not glistening on top. (looked like water droplets formed on top)

Anyway, I figure if shaking doesn't show that strong comeback, and it doesn't reveal anything, it will definately show a contam in all its force when it does arise visually and obviously.

--------------------

OfflineCong
i suck
    #3461836 - 12/07/04 11:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Little wormies!

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Contam? [Re: Cong]
    #3462354 - 12/08/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

?

--------------------

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3474249 - 12/10/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3486339 - 12/12/04 03:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3486343 - 12/12/04 03:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If its a contam.. I'm curious as to what it is.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3495399 - 12/14/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think it is known as: sclerotia casingitis

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum