Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Cold shock casing?
    #3448733 - 12/05/04 02:30 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Am I supposed to be cold shocking my casing by putting them in the fridge? I haven't been doing that, but should I. I know its recomended for cakes, but what about cases?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemadsickpenguin
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: ChinaBoy]
    #3448756 - 12/05/04 02:38 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Afoaf read from many sources that you are supposed to put the casing into the incubator after you make it. Afoaf believes cold shocking is used to induce pinning. However, afoaf not read that cold shocking is really necessary for casing. Just drop in temp to around 72F, fresh air exchange, and put in an environment with humidity around 92-95%

Edited by madsickpenguin (01/26/05 12:12 PM)

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: madsickpenguin]
    #3449343 - 12/05/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Anyone else?

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3449355 - 12/05/04 09:38 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

a friend always dunks/shocks in fridge over nite between flushes....

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #3449383 - 12/05/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: Pinhead]
    #3451639 - 12/05/04 08:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Cold shocking (in the fridge) has little effect with cubies (fact) it will definitely help certain cubie strains pin more prolifically but it will also stall growth slightly so expect a day or two delay in fruiting times :lol: Most cases your temp drop of 10F. from incubation to fruiting is all the "cold shock" needed :wink: Dunking is best done in the fridge this slows bacterial growth thats one reason we put them (cakes) in the fridge when dunking. I do not recommend dunking casings as #1 It's not necessary if you manage your water delivery properly. It is advantagous to dunk BRF cakes that will be used to make casings but whole grains really don't benefit as much all your really doing is stalling your casing for a couple of days and making a little extra work for a possible minute increase in yield. Mushrooms really don't like change by cold shocking casings between flushes your only really stalling things as your next flush pins are already set and all that is really important now is to let the myc digest some more substrate in order to build and store energy need to set forth the next flush it's very simply actually if you think like myc and cold shocking simply inhibits this process. GL guys, Hopefully you'll come away form this with a little better understanding of mycology 101.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: hyphae]
    #3451793 - 12/05/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...ca5#Post3451776

as stupid as i feel i disagree with hyphae ( who knows a shitload more than me and then some) but that is my post it is an experiment i did with 4 pint G2G brazillian jars cased in 2 casings 2 pints in each i allowed them to flush once then i simply recased one and the other i dunked and cold shocked for 12 hours then recased and there is a huge difference in yeild for me but hey to each his own

-mike

and again sorry for disagreeing with you hyphae because i respect very much what you have to say

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: phantasm]
    #3451829 - 12/05/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

How long should i expect to wait between flushes anyway?

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3451838 - 12/05/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

5-7 days is normal but can be as long as 14 days

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
    #3451910 - 12/05/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well afoaf of mine doesn't cold shock. He just puts the casings in the incubator for 2 to 3 days, patches - lets the rest catch up until totally even, then throws it in the fruiting chamber. Its worked fine so far....

--------------------
Don't grow mushrooms if it is illegal where you live.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3451947 - 12/05/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Booo, I gotta think that cold shocking never hurts anything and can't do anything but help get a nice pinset and is so easy...I say do that shit.

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
    #3451949 - 12/05/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Cold shocking sends a message to your favorite fungus. It understands. Here's the message;

Hey! That was a really cold autumn day! Winter is coming, but it's warm now. Last chance to reproduce this year. Get it up!

That's the theory anyway. Some do, some don't. See what works for you.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: ticktock]
    #3451955 - 12/05/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

No shit! That's EXACTLY it. Why wouldn't people cold shock?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3452037 - 12/05/04 09:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You guys don't get it cold shocking between flushes is redundant your pinset for the most part was created in your initial pinset after incubating, after that it is generative growth only. You guys can think what you want but pick up a book and readup on a mushrooms life cycle and parameters. Cold shocking between flushes only slows things up this is very basic myco 101 FYI phantasm think about it what you did was distroy your initial pinset that created more than just your first flush (you have much to learn :wink: ) NOW the myc needs to expend more energy running the casing AND pin again all while being in temps that are not optimum for vegetative growth :wink: of course that one will fall far behind and it would have fallen even further behind if you would have simply harvested the one patched soaked down and let nature do it's thing. I do not mean to disrespect your opinion but thats all it is your opinion and some others who don't quite understand mycology YET!. Again GL guys and keep an open mind it will get you alot further :wink:

I see you said you recased both? the only time a person wants to recase is after scratching an overlayed casing (fact). Proper water delivery is what really keeps the flushes going along with close to optimum parameters. I can just hear the myc saying oh no not again we're getting so tired of having to run that damn casing AGAIN we just want to fruit! :frown:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: hyphae]
    #3452071 - 12/05/04 09:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hi Hyphae,

You are quite right. I did not mean to recommend cold shocking between flushes. It might have read like that. I only meant to explain why we shock in the first place.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cold shock casing? [Re: ticktock]
    #3452105 - 12/05/04 09:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The 10F. drop in temps is all cubies need FYI that is the "cold shock" as far as cubies are concerned. I find fridge dunking keeps contams down and does drop the core temp of cakes quicker so that they can be placed in the chambers quicker. Initial pinsetting is where your yields will come from. GL ticktock and mike, scool :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate