Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Parafilm, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
How old is too...Karo jars
    #3451901 - 12/05/04 10:58 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I've heard karo jars tend to contam easily, especially if they're older.  For some reason, I've got a couple of jars lying around that have grown out very slowly.  It's been about 6 weeks, and they're looking better now. 
Now, I know the only way to tell with karo is to just do up some jars.  But anyone have experience with older, slow-growing karo jars?  Anecdotes?  All right, thanks!  :grin:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: How old is too...Karo jars [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3451904 - 12/05/04 10:59 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

off color splotches are a key incdicator of contams

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: How old is too...Karo jars [Re: muse_sick]
    #3452004 - 12/05/04 11:22 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah, things don't look bad, just slow.  Dunno.  I s'pose I'll just have to shoot that karo wad into some nice grain and see if a baby pops out.  :yesnod:

--------------------

Offlinedjred

#3452229 - 12/06/04 12:13 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

man i have some jars 2 weeks old or more and they never really took off past a whisp of stringy..thats all..sitting around on my dresser..now i just did a karo last wed and it has a qauter size cotton ball..growing nice..so i htink its just shit luck on my part..

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: How old is too...Karo jars [Re: djred]
    #3452863 - 12/06/04 02:12 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I'm beginning to think this as well.  I have poopy flakey growth with some strandy wisps and so forth.  Maybe I'll try again when the warmer gets weather.  :wink:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3453509 - 12/06/04 07:32 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

INTERESTING FAQ DATA :thumbup:

Sterile water was first used to preserve cultures by Castellani in 1939 (2). Since then, many scientists have used this method; McGinnis et al. in 1974 (3) and Odds in 1991 (4) reported that they were able to maintain viable cultures for more than three years, without degradation.

This technique satisfies many different interests: Castellani's pathogenic fungi, Odds interest was in pathogenic yeast, and McGinnis' interest was in a wide range of fungi, yeast, and bacteria. The distilled water preserved all of them.

Storage Method:
Obtain dram vials from your laboratory supplier and fill them about half full (about 3mL) with distilled water, loosely cap the vials and sterilize them in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes @250 F. Half dram vials or test tubes with screw caps would also work well.

About six milliliters of sterile distilled water is pipetted aseptically into a freshly growing culture. The fragments of hyphae are dislodged by lightly scraping the aerial growth with the same pipette, and the resulting suspension is withdrawn and transferred to a sterile glass vial. Put plenty of inoculum into each vial to insure success. Screw the lid on tight and wrap Parafilm around the top of the vial to make sure it is airtight. When you come back in a few years, you would not want to find that the water had evaporated
Store the vials at room temperature away from direct sunlight. A bookshelf or wall cabinet is an excellent place. If conditions deteriorate, and the room should become unbearably hot, the vials can be refrigerated, but that is not normally necessary.

In the distilled water environment, the mushroom culture enters a dormant state, and it is held in stasis
The Rude Awakening:
Under aseptic conditions, simply dip a sterile loop into the vial,  and streak the mycelia-rich water onto an agar plate. It will start to reanimate on being in a nutrient source and oxygen.

The first four methods keep cultures alive with three items: food, water, and oxygen. If they lack any of these, It's goodbye.

Instead of trying to keep them alive, there is a better way: In sterile distilled water, with no food, oxygen, or minerals. This method was in use almost 60 years ago, but was apparently lost due to lack of communication.

References
(1) M.D.Graham, "A Simple,Practical Method for Long Term Storage of Yeast", Brewing Techniques 5, March/April (1997), pp 58-62
(2) S.Castellani,"Viability of Some Pathogenic Fungi in Distilled Water", Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 42, pp 225-226 (1939)
(3) M.R.McGinnis,A.A.Padhye,and L. Ajello,"Storage of Stock Cultures of Filamentous Fungi,Yeasts, and Some Aerobic Actinomycetes in Sterile Distilled Water", Applied Microbiology 28, pp 218-222 (1974)
(4) F.C.Odds, "Long Term Laboratory Preservation of Pathogenic Yeast in Water",Journal of Medical and Veterinary Mycology 29, pp 413-415(1991)

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: How old is too...Karo jars [Re: agar]
    #3453747 - 12/06/04 10:35 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

this explains why my old spore solution turned into white flakey water and stayed that way for two months. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinedjred

Re: How old is too...Karo jars [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3453761 - 12/06/04 10:40 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

never knew shrooms was such a science.lol

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3453767 - 12/06/04 10:43 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

the science of mycology, my dear djred.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinedjred

Re: How old is too...Karo jars [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3453771 - 12/06/04 10:45 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

i know man, just a silly comment..

Offlinedjred

#3453781 - 12/06/04 10:47 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

aww thanxs army..yeah i come off as an air head by far..but im a pretty smart guy.. i can take all this info and proccess it and now i have karo jar growing nice,wbs jars growing. popcorn jars going..and im working on poo straw..but thanxs for the 5 shrooms bro..

Offlinedjred

#3453805 - 12/06/04 10:58 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

yo im about to make another karo jar with 200ml with 2 tbl spoons of karo..using 4 cc spores..to free up a needle.. one of my karo jars has myc growing nicely can i break it up and use it to knock up some pint jars going slow? there is abouta qauter size ball that should be enough myc to get shit going?

also can i shoot karo into pasturize bulk? will it not take onto the straw? i do have half pints wbs going nicely..i would like to get my bulk going..

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Parafilm, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation