Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Outdoor growers, how do you personally keep animals from destroying your grow?
    #3451535 - 12/05/04 09:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.poppies.org/news/97002006563662.shtml

Alright, I was reading poppies.org and this guy lines the bottom of his bed with chicken wire.  I don't have gofers, I have moles, but they certainly know how to dig up the soil.  Does anyone do this?  It seems like it would be a lot of trouble, but if it works, it works.  What do you do to keep away the animals?  Certain plants or other devices, doesn't matter.  If you found it works, then post it.

I just want to make one complete thread on keeping away animals from your crop.  I know there are probably links on google or some other search engine that could help out but I don't think they are complete, and you also can't get someone's opinion on what is being used (whether is be human hair, predator urine, etc.) except for the authors.  And you might not get odd things that you wouldn't expect to use against animals.  So, since I have yet to grow outdoors, who would like to get this list started? :dog: :piggy: :cow: :rudolph: :gonzo:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Outdoor growers, how do you personally keep animals from destroying your grow? [Re: theocean06]
    #3451795 - 12/05/04 10:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I know you aren't asking for afoaf type of responses, but some one I know had a nice grow op a couple of years ago. To keep animals from eating roots he planted his plants inside of chicken wire and it worked. I saw the results and he did something right for sure. :grin:

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Outdoor growers, how do you personally keep animals from destroying your grow? [Re: theocean06]
    #3451850 - 12/05/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i hear that some people here grow in clearcuts amongst teh bramble. i also hear that they have very good results. and apperantly teh fact that there is good moisture, by marsh/ponds, and full sun that buds turn out real good.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#3451926 - 12/05/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

theres a plant caled the mole plant. It keeps moles away from gardens in general. You can buy them at nurseries in the spring.

--------------------

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Outdoor growers, how do you personally keep animals from destroying your grow? [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3464829 - 12/08/04 03:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

How did your friend go about tying the chicken wire down?

Mole Plant? Is it a common plant - as in, will I be able to find it at a plant nursery? Do you just grow it and the plant will keep away the moles or do you have to cut and collect the sap? About how big does it get and how large of an area will it protect?

Thank you

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3465142 - 12/08/04 04:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i think it depends what you are trying to grow, if its weed then you probably are growing for shot periods of time and in spots that you don't want others to see, therefore companion planting might not be practical. if its a poppie patch and you are going to keep it for years then you could plant things near it that might help a small amount.

"Borders of marigolds may repel moles from gardens, although this method has not been scientifically tested. Mole plant (Euphorbia latharis) and Castor bean plant (Ricinus communis) are often touted as a way to repel moles; however, their effectiveness is doubtful. In addition, they are poisonous to humans and can easily escape cultivation and become problem weeds. " taken from this, pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/uh084.pdf (copy and paste link)

also things like garlic smell bad to animals, and there are many other plants that repel bugs and animals.

in many cases you will probably want to see what the problem is before you act, for instance i was having a problem with squirrels digging in my pots, so after trying a couple of silly things is dusted my railing with a dry Cayenne pepper( not silly ). no more squirrels, they got like six inches from the deck and ran the other way, never came back.
that probably wouldn't fly with deer, they can really tear shit up, you might need fencing if you think dear would be a problem, or a local hunter.

chicken wire can be effective for small animals, you might need to bury it so things can't dig under it.

also if you have problems with cats/dogs you can use crush shells/nuts on the ground as a repellent, i guess anything that was sharp or hard to walk on would piss off animals that don't have hooves.

i have found that all animals are afraid of all the trendy ways of keeping pests away, scarecrows, fake owls/snakes, reflective material, etc. for like a day. then they get used to that stuff and they come on in and eat whatever they can.

i am interested in this motion detecting sprinkler that will spray deer when they come in the yard, it was about 70 bucks. wouldn't work for moles though.

i have moles in my back yard so bad that it is dangerous to walk there because you can trip in a patch of loose soil. its crazy when you walk on the grass, the earth gives like two inches from all the tunnels in the ground. mole bombs are the only thing that really works!! but i just let the little guys chill, but if they were in my garden it might be a different story.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
    #3465252 - 12/08/04 05:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Damn it, I was trying to make all of the letters off this post a different color. I gave up. Anyways, just burry part of the wire.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Edited by mr_minds_eye (12/08/04 05:09 PM)

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Outdoor growers, how do you personally keep animals from destroying your grow? [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3465273 - 12/08/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mr_minds_eye said:
  T   h     w   i   r     w   a     p   a   r   t   i   a   l   l     b   a   r   r   i   e   d.

Yeah I have that same problem, can't get the colors to work :frown:

--------------------

Edited by theocean06 (12/08/04 05:14 PM)

Offlinetheocean06

#3465312 - 12/08/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I was going to line the bed with the chicken wire and then put the soil on top. If it isn't tied down though, couldn't an animals just bust through it? There are some determined buggers out there...

--------------------

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
    #3465546 - 12/08/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

After a certain point all that might work is guarding them with a shotgun, but if its deep enough and all it should be ok.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

Offlinetheocean06

#3465625 - 12/08/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

OOPS!

I thought you were talking about putting the chicken wire under ground, to keep burrowing animals away. But I read it again and you were talking about the chicken wire above ground...

I think for deer and such, I will pick up some Animal Fence, it's suppose to keep animals of all shapes and sizes away from your grow.

--------------------

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
    #3465803 - 12/08/04 06:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I meant both. Have it high enough above the ground to keep some stuff from munching on them and far enough down so that the main roots are protected. It's just a deterant. All I used to do was piss aroung them (on trees, rocks, etc.) It worked to a point.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden