Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Future of the FCC?
    #3450093 - 12/05/04 02:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe this belongs in Science and Tech. And maybe this has been brought up before. Still, beats another Iraq/Guns/Global Warming thread.

As it stands right now, the FCC has the power to regulate, via fines, radio and television that is broadcast. The Supreme Court has apparently ruled that for the FCC to extend into cable or satellite would be violating the first amendment. Also, the current head of the commission wrote a column in the NY Times this week saying that he would never want the FCC to try and spread into cable or sat elite.

I'm wondering what happens if and most media begins to be streamed over WiFi networks. To use a current example, what if I listened to one of the many free and unregulated internet radio stations on a wireless laptop? And I think they have media devices in Asia which are designed just listen and watch internet media. I'm sure this will be a continuing trend in the US. New radio iPods or something.

What sort of logic could the SCOTUS use to say that media available WiFi can be controlled by the FCC? I can't see any reasonable line to draw without proposing to restricting the entire internet, which I believe the high courts haves already frowned upon. I think that this could, in the next 15-20 years, lead to the end of the FCC... but maybe there's an angle I'm not looking at.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Future of the FCC? [Re: Gijith]
    #3450218 - 12/05/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

They would just have to lower broadcast strength limits.. Everything is measured in Hrz. Currently Wifi networks are under the Hrz controlled by the FCC.. All they need to do is add Wifi wavelengths into their controll group and then they controll it and all of its content..

Then they could be free to sue anyone they wanted.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion