Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to)
    #3449408 - 12/05/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

I'm new at hunting mushrooms, never done them before either. But I came across this other site last night (forget what the name was) and read some stories and trips and...it inspired me (to start doing mushrooms). I found a link to this site, and man, there's a LOT of useful info here, it's awesome. I picked this shroom today, I'll do my best to describe it:

-The top is a darker brown color in the middle, then lightens to tan as it goes out.
-Under is a more white/tan mixed color, more light though. The things (i'm not sure what they're called) are pretty thin.
-It's not a complete circle, it's more misshaped. I picked like 4 of'em, and they're all different shapes.
-These were growing in, mainly dirt and a little bt of grass in my front yard; and I'm from southern US.

Thanks if you can help me identify it from that, I would have a picture, but dont have a camera.

*Oh yeah, question from a new shroomer, (very new), you just eat the caps, or the tops right? Might be a stupid question, but I just wanna trip and be safe about it too. thanks again.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesublimistri
Higher Than AKite
Male User Gallery

Loc: Forgotten
Re: Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to) [Re: bystandard]
    #3449608 - 12/05/04 12:49 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

"Oh yeah, question from a new shroomer, (very new), you just eat the caps, or the tops right? Might be a stupid question, but I just wanna trip and be safe about it too. thanks again."

You eat the caps , and the stems , the stem is just as potent as the cap.
Its kind of hard to identify from a description , whats the gills color , and can you do a spore print maybe?

--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.

Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinejoepj02
ego tripping
Re: Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to) [Re: bystandard]
    #3449650 - 12/05/04 12:58 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

most veterans on this sight are very helpful and eager to help out, but i suggest you read the forum rules first. witout a pic its impossible to get a positive id. and yes you eat the entire mushroom but DONT EAT WITHOUT POSITIVE ID!!!!!

--------------------
"Mr. Pibb is a poor excuse for Dr. Pepper....the dude aint even got his degree!!"--MItch Hedberg R.I.P. 1968-2005

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3449687 - 12/05/04 01:11 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah, I wouldnt eat any mushroom without makin' sure it's not poison. I really wanna trip, but then again, how could I trip if I die from trying like an idiot. I got the webcam hooked up now, so here's the best picture I could get.

The ones on the left are the original ones I posted this about, the one on the right is a new one I picked. The picture's not really that great, since it's from a webcom and not a digital cam, but it's the best I can do.

Edited by bystandard (12/05/04 01:24 PM)

Offlinesublimistri
Higher Than AKite
Male User Gallery

Loc: Forgotten
    #3449693 - 12/05/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

I dont think those are good ones , but im not sure , white gills is a bad sign (not sure if i see gills , but the bottom is white) , but i dunno , wait for further information. I think its an unactive.

--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.

Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to) [Re: sublimistri]
    #3449721 - 12/05/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah, the gills didn't show up...I blame the webcam. The gills on the small ones are close to white, on the bigger one though, they're actually a mid-tan color. Are brown gills good, or does that mean they're old?

OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to) [Re: sublimistri]
    #3449723 - 12/05/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Those are most certainly not hallucinogenic mushrooms, and if you want to know what you gathered, you'll have to wait for someone experienced to look at it.

--------------------

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to) [Re: Marcd046]
    #3449753 - 12/05/04 01:26 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

I changed the cam settings, so it's clearer now. And ok marcd, I wasnt plannin' on eating anything yet anyway. (even though I want to)

OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
    #3449807 - 12/05/04 01:43 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Bystandard, if you are wanting hallucingenic mushrooms, look for little brown mushrooms, test them for bruising, and never look at white gills, many of these 'shroomz can be poisonous. :lipsrsealed: Also did you look here http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23470, it's very interesting and will give you a starting point to mushrooms.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3449811 - 12/05/04 01:43 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Hi Bystandard, Welcome to the Shroomery.

Your mushrooms are not active. What you have there are classic examples of LB Ms (Little Brown Mushrooms). I could make a guess at Genus but it would just be a guess. They are certainly not Psilocybe or Panaeolus, or Copelandia.

To begin ID on a little brown mushroom we need to know the spore print color. How to make a spore print is available in the FAQs.

It is highly unlikely that you will find active mushrooms growing in your yard (it happens but its rare.) Your first step towards finding the mushrooms you seek should be to learn which species grow in your area, what habitat they grow in, and what time of year they are fruiting. This info is also available with a little search on the main site.

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to) [Re: shroomydan]
    #3450062 - 12/05/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

I read pretty much everything in the beginners hunting guide thing last night, so it's not as fresh in my mind as it was then, but I still remember a good bit of it.

I found what kind grow here lastnight in that section, they're:
paneaolus subbalteatus
psilocybe caerulescens
psilocybe cubensis
copelandia cyanscens &
gymnopolis spectabilis...

I'm thinkin' Cubensis would be growing still, or there's still some left since it grows from feb-nov.

Subbalteatus might be growing too, but I'm not really sure on either one yet.

Caerulescens grows in early summer, so it wouldnt be growin at all now.

Still need to find more information about copelandia, dont even know when it's supposed to grow. Same for Gymnopolis.
I read how to make a spore print too, where i read it said somethin' about using white paper and black paper for different ones. Would I just use normal, white paper. Would lined paper be ok?

Thanks for all the help and info so far

Edited by bystandard (12/05/04 02:48 PM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#3450150 - 12/05/04 03:19 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Plain white paper is best; it is required by serious mycologists to distinguish between subtle shades of light colored spores. Some people use aluminum foil instead of white and black paper because you can see both light and dark colored spores easily.

The spore colors you are looking for are:

Psilocybe- purple-brown
Panaeolus=Copelandia - black
Gymnopilus - rusty orange

Do a search of posts to find info on the various shrooms. There have been recent finds of all the species you mentioned accept maybe P. caerulescens.

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Can someone help me identify (don't have a pic, so it might be kinda hard to) [Re: shroomydan]
    #3450335 - 12/05/04 04:13 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Those mushrooms have (it seems) dark, reddish-brown stipes, as well. Not a good sign. The gills are very flush to each other and to the stipe and cap. Not a characteristic of active rooms.

Impressive research, bystander. It's good to study, and also to go out, even once, with an experienced room hunter, is an excellent way to get some insight into hunting.

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
Got spore prints [Re: psiclops]
    #3452589 - 12/06/04 01:06 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

the small one's print is white; i did it on white paper, so it blended but i can tell its there.

The bigger one turned out as a light peach color. I dont have a picture just yet, but should soon.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Got spore prints [Re: bystandard]
    #3452651 - 12/06/04 01:17 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Spore print color confirms that your mushrooms are not active.

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Got spore prints [Re: shroomydan]
    #3453047 - 12/06/04 02:59 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Ok, thanks. Man, I didnt know it was that easy to make spore prints...just takes time.

Wish me luck! I got the cubensis image and general statistics memorized and embedded in my mind now. God's lookin' out for me somehow, cause I'm startin' out and guess what, it rained today. So tomorrow I'll go out to one of the many cow fields I live close to, and hopefully find what I need, I'll still do spore prints and all if I find anything, but still, wish me luck, cause I need a first mushroom trip; need to be enlightened. Another question though...d'you have to carry'em in a paper bag? I read here that in a plastic bag, they'll turn to mush, so are there any alternatives?

thanks again

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#3453964 - 12/06/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Mushrooms are alive and need to breath. A plastic bag suffocates them; they die and rot. Use a paper bag, net bag, or open basket.

Good Luck! Don't be surprised if you don't find any your first few times out. I searched for two years before finding my first Big Laughing Gyms.

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Got spore prints [Re: shroomydan]
    #3455282 - 12/06/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 20 hours ago)

Yeah, didn't find anything yet. Except for white gilled ones and this kind without any gills. What are those kind? (the ones without gills). It's yellowish and whitish colored and gets darker towards the middle of the cap. I'll get a pic in just a minute.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #3455300 - 12/06/04 05:20 PM (12 years, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

bystandard said:
Yeah, didn't find anything yet. Except for white gilled ones and this kind without any gills. What are those kind? (the ones without gills). It's yellowish and whitish colored and gets darker towards the middle of the cap. I'll get a pic in just a minute.

Boletes.

Offlinebystandard
Stranger
 User Gallery
hunting... [Re: bystandard]
    #3455303 - 12/06/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 20 hours ago)

Edited by bystandard (12/06/04 05:24 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification