Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
The Dominican Republic
    #3445713 - 12/04/04 02:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've been thinking, and I've decided that we need to focus our energies here in PA&L and try to really get something done.

I think we can most effectively do that by concentrating our efforts on one country, a small one to start out since it's our first time, and solving all of their problems first, then move on to somewhere else eventually solving all the problems of the world so we can all finally just get back to doing drugs.

Since we have here someone I would consider to be an expert on the Dominican republic; our own Pinkie, and the Dominican republic is geographically convienient to a large portion of our community (a large portion of Shroomerites could get to TDR for less than $500), I have decided that the Dominican Republic should be adopted by the Shroomery community until everything in TDR is peachy keen, which will probably mean fixing Hati as well... but let's focus on TDR for now.

Thank you.

Baby A. Hitler

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: The Dominican Republic [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3445770 - 12/04/04 03:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I like it. I would welcome a change from the one track loop that seems to have taken over news of late.

Any good sites to look at?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Dominican Republic [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3446013 - 12/04/04 04:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good Idea, we'll need lots of links.

CIA "World Fact Book:"

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/dr.html

TDR official website:

http://www.presidencia.gov.do/

Babelfish to translate:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

I'd like to find information about buying from DR businesses, and starting/locating a business in TDR.

I am in school for engineering right now, so I am particularly interested in implementing modern technology in a third world country. My impression is that there is a culture of wanting what the industrialized world has rather than a logical assessment of resources and solutions.

For instance, third world governments are not interested in alternative energy, even if it is more suited to their resource situation than a huge ass dam and widespread power distribution systems. I'm just wondering if the government would allow the creation of a private power distribution system utilizing local resources, and local distribution.

I'm also curious as to what their broadcasting laws are, and what the wide area wireless networking legal (and physical) environment
is like.

Third world countries don't seem to realize that they have an opportunity to build themselves from the ground up into a system that is superior to the one we have pieced together in the first world based on past realities that aren't relevant to the third world.

They shouldn't be trying to be like us, they have the opportunity to build a better system than the one we are married to now.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3446078 - 12/04/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Baby_Hitler writes:

For instance, third world governments are not interested in alternative energy, even if it is more suited to their resource situation than a huge ass dam and widespread power distribution systems.

It's not a question of not wanting, but of recognizing that solar, wind etc. are insufficient (and far too costly) to supply the needs of more than a fraction of the country.

I'm just wondering if the government would allow the creation of a private power distribution system utilizing local resources, and local distribution.

No problem. There is already a greater capacity of private power generation in the country than the government grid can supply even if it ever all works simultaneously -- which it never has in the seventeen years I've lived here. Many residential neighborhoods, hotels, and businesses have disconnected themselves from the grid and rely on their own electrical generation capacity. Many sell their excess to neighbors.

As for wi-fi, there are several small companies (as well as the usual players such as Verizon) getting into this. Same with satellite tv.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Dominican Republic [Re: Phred]
    #3446228 - 12/04/04 05:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Many residential neighborhoods, hotels, and businesses have disconnected themselves from the grid and rely on their own electrical generation capacity.

That's what I'm talkng about. So what do most of them use for fuel? Are they gasoline genorators or something else?

A man and 10 horses should be able to produce about 7KW of power at a cost of approximately $0.06 per KWH. Does anyone there use animal power to generate electricity? Just from throwing together some numbers it looked to me to be a viable system.

--------------------

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3446368 - 12/04/04 06:24 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know much about The Dominican Republic but I know a lot about the Dominican people cause I used to live in one of their colonies. It was in West and North Harlem on the island of Manhattan.
First off they are filthy. They drop garbage everywhere. They drop soiled napkins down their legs as they walk down the street. They drop cans of 'El Presidente' brand beer down as they walk. They piss inside the entranceways to parks. They hire dirty prostitutes and have sex with them in the bushes in dirty parts of public parks.
Second off they are sexist. To them women are sex objects. They degrade them behind their backs, and they degrade them even more to their faces. They say "mammy" and make lewd comments very loud and stare at girls buttocks without even trying to be subtle about it. Domestic violence in a Dominican household is the norm.
Third off a lot of them are lazy. They stand around on the street corners most of the day, unemployed except dealing cocaine. When they do have jobs they try to do the least amount of work possible without being fired.
This concludes my official report. Thank you drive through.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Edited by question_for_joo (12/04/04 06:27 PM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Dominican Republic [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3447086 - 12/04/04 08:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

THe american public was fairly similar not too long ago.

We killed a bunch of Vietnameese, smoked alot of pot, and dropped a bunch of acid to get over our issues.

What would be an appropriate analog for Dominican culture.

Should we manufacture a Dominiconixon?

Who will be Spiro Agnew this time?

Pinky, would you be interested in the R.M.N. or {S/Ag} role?

Have we really gotten over our issues?

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3447418 - 12/04/04 10:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Illicit drugs: 
transshipment point for South American drugs destined for the US and Europe; has become a transshipment point for ecstasy from the Netherlands and Belgium destined for US and Canada; substantial money-laundering activity; Colombian narcotics traffickers favor the Dominican Republic for illicit financial transactions 

Damn!  It sounds like there is a lot of drug money to be made in the Dominican Republic.  Hook me up with a couple of tons of coke, pinksharkmark.  We'll be rich!!!

:lol:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#3447587 - 12/04/04 10:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Baby_Hitler asks:

So what do most of them use for fuel? Are they gasoline genorators or something else?

Diesel.

Does anyone there use animal power to generate electricity?

Not to my knowledge.

pinky

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: The Dominican Republic [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3447615 - 12/04/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

First off they are filthy. They drop garbage everywhere. They drop soiled napkins down their legs as they walk down the street. They drop cans of 'El Presidente' brand beer down as they walk. They piss inside the entranceways to parks. They hire dirty prostitutes and have sex with them in the bushes in dirty parts of public parks.
Second off they are sexist. To them women are sex objects. They degrade them behind their backs, and they degrade them even more to their faces. They say "mammy" and make lewd comments very loud and stare at girls buttocks without even trying to be subtle about it. Domestic violence in a Dominican household is the norm.
Third off a lot of them are lazy. They stand around on the street corners most of the day, unemployed except dealing cocaine. When they do have jobs they try to do the least amount of work possible without being fired.

That accurately describes a lot of the lower class Dominicans here (and more than a few of the "upper" class ones). To that you can add the fact that they are arguably the noisiest people on Earth. Not only do they play Merengue music at ear-splitting volume 24 hours a day, they will never talk to each other when they can shout instead. Perhaps they need to shout because they're all half deaf by age eighteen from listening to Merengue music so loud. Who can say?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3447652 - 12/04/04 11:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting. Diesel engines are considerably more adaptable to other kinds of fuel than gasoline engines are.

They can be modified to run on animal, or vegetable fats with relative ease. What does diesel fuel sell for in your area? Are there demand/supply irregularity issues?

It may be possible that a viable alternative to (presumably) foreign diesel fuel could be produced locally.

What is a typical income for a day's work there?

What is considered to be a typical "day's work" there?

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #3447769 - 12/04/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

prostitution. i know someone who travels to Cuba and D.M. he says the girls are cheap and fine. seriously, use the resources and turn it into Vegas.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3447838 - 12/04/04 11:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Doesn't really sound like first world material IMHO.

Has anyone explained to them THE POWER OF CALCULUS?

Apparently it is very powerful.

Several of my classes require it as a prerequsite.

Spanish is like the metric equivalent for language. There is no reason for spanish speaking people to be illiterate. For God's sake, it's a phonetic language. Please tell me they can all read.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3447848 - 12/04/04 11:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

What about the women? Are they any more civilized?

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3448194 - 12/05/04 01:25 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Are we developing the Dominican Republic through laissez faire market changes, or can we become the dictators?

It seems to me these people need discipline. A strict authoritarian government might do the trick. Impose curfews, harsh punishment for breaking laws, laws against lewdness, littering ..etc. Once these people respect their place of living.

Once it becomes a respectable place, open the gates for tourism.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Dominican Republic [Re: looner2]
    #3448235 - 12/05/04 01:31 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Whatever you think will work.

I think the third world will have to go through some serious cultural changes before they can operate on a first world level.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#3448301 - 12/05/04 01:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That's it in a nutshell. The culture here certainly differs from that of a typical modern nation. It's not that they can't read (although many can't), it's that they think differently than people in England or Canada or Germany or the US. They have different priorities, different ways of looking at things, different attitudes towards fate and cause and effect and religion and regard for others and a whole raft of other things. I've lived here long enough that I am now used to it, but that doesn't mean I like a lot of it.

The Latin-American outlook on women is one that still grates, as is their incredible lack of regard for their surroundings. Littering is practically de rigeur.

It's not that they're necessarily all stupid, it's just that they do things that appear stupid to someone from a different culture.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3448614 - 12/05/04 03:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I was in Mexico once. The people there paid no heed whatsoever to traffic laws. There was one intersection with a light that kept changing, but nobody was paying any attention to it. Everybody in every lane was just trying to push their way through the intersection at the same time. This, of course created a huge traffic jam and nobody got anywhere.

I couldn't help but think that if this was representative of the rest of their country, and their attitude towards life, it was no wonder they were all poor dregs living in shitholes.

Is there no-one interested in bettering themselves and their country?

Why don't the women raise their sons up to be respectful to women?

What do they want out of life?

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3449220 - 12/05/04 11:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How's the wind surfing in the Dominican Republic? Are there any good bays there for wind surfing or catamarans? The waves are a lot smaller in bays compared to the open ocean. The bay at Dewie Beach, Delaware and the Inner harbor in Baltimore, Maryland are pretty good places. There's a lot of wind surfers at Sandy Point on the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland area), but I don't like wind surfing in the choppy water there.

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: The Dominican Republic [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3449224 - 12/05/04 11:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

BTW, I think you should lock all threads which are obviously posted for bashing Americans and George Bush.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion