Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Millet and poo?!?
    #3443590 - 12/03/04 09:46 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I started to fill my quart jars with millet and then though why don't I mix it with left over poo from a previous grow.  So, I mixed about 60% millet 40% poo(estimation).  I just tossed in a cutting of brf into the jars and put the jars in for iccubation.  I just wanted to see what you thought of this and if anyone has done this before?  I figured doing this would only help the substrate become more nutritous for the mushies.  I'll keep you udated too as far as colonization times and stuff.  Later--China # 1 :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Millet and poo?!? [Re: ChinaBoy]
    #3443623 - 12/03/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Did you use a flow hood, or glove box, if you didnt im sure it will contam.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Millet and poo?!? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3443629 - 12/03/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Damn it slut! You're always making me so nervous about my bulk grow talkin about poo contaminating! I think that if it works that it will colonize slow because it doesn't have an aerating element to it.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Millet and poo?!? [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3443639 - 12/03/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

No, his is going to contaminate because he opend a jar of sterile grain in open are wich is a no-no for sure.

Whats the stats on your grow?

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3443642 - 12/03/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

On mine or his?

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
    #3443645 - 12/03/04 10:11 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I used the oven tek I believe. I also wiped everything down with alcohal. Then drapped the lid with an alcohal covered paper towel when I opened it. I then snuck into the jars a piece of brf cake (colonized of course) that was being soaked in water and h2o2. I did this the other day with corn as the spawn and with a ziplock bag as the delivery system. That seems to be working fine with 2 out of 10 getting cobweb so far.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3443649 - 12/03/04 10:11 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Yours. Im just trying to get a grasp on the new fangled grow fads.

I just got back into growing this month, after retireing for a few months (my house was hot).

--------------------

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
    #3443650 - 12/03/04 10:12 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I also have polyfil holes in the lids. Is that good enough for air exchange?

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3443664 - 12/03/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Sounds like you know what your doing. If you didnt breathe on it allot and worked fast you may be ok. Is it hard to shake your millet/poo/cake jars?

I highly recommend one of these if you really want to get serious about grain to grain transfer and risky experimental spawning.

Less than 8 dollars at Wal-Mart. :shocked: :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3443668 - 12/03/04 10:17 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Yup poly fill is my favorite filter.

--------------------

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
    #3443677 - 12/03/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

hmmm, you got me thinking about that box there being less than $8 dollars and me being so crafty and all. And the jars are hard to shake. My jars always clump inside and never break apart. This time I tried various different hydration methods and times witht the millet.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3443693 - 12/03/04 10:25 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Aight, here's what I got going:

I've got 18 QTs of rye, and 6 QTs of popcorn. The first 12, which was 6 rye, 6 popcorn were noc'd up with spores 4 days prior to the second 12, which were noc'd up with liquid culture. They are all on even pace, about 70% colonized. No contams.

FYI: I only soaked the second batch of grains for 2 hours and they are doing quite nicely (simmered for 35 minutes)

I'm going to take these grains and spawn them to bulk. My bulk mix is: 2 parts straw, 4 parts poo, 1 part verm. This mix has plenty of nutes, plenty of aeration quality for quick colonization, and plenty of water retension quality. I've got a candy thermometer and I've been practicin getting my oven to a steady 170 deg F. I'm going to pasteurize in the oven in oven bags so I don't have to let it drain forever.

I'm spawning to the bottom of 2 x 30 gallon tubs. With my surface area, assuming that I get 15 QTs out of those 24 (none contam/they are only 3/4 full), I will be able to maintain about an 18% spawn to bulk ratio at 6" deep of substrate.

I'm casing with 50/50+ at a full 2" for a nice thick healthy casing layer. My goal is to pull this bulk through 3 nice flushes. I think that I can, and have been told that I can, considering my thick casing layer and my mix.

I have both tubs run by a cool mist and an ultra sonic. The cool mist goes on 30 minutes every 3 hours, and the ultra sonic goes on 15 minutes every hour. How do these times sound? I figure with the bulk casing it's not going to take much, this way I'll have good humidity and a nice good air exchange every 3 hours? Either way, that can be tweaked with easy.

I'd like to hope that my setup is a lil more than a fad and that it's a pretty good lil setup. Help me out with some suggestions.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3443807 - 12/03/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Everything sounds good to me!

--------------------

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3443861 - 12/03/04 11:23 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I've read a lot, we'll see how it goes. I'm doing good so far.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3444010 - 12/04/04 12:15 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

ChinaBoy said:
hmmm, you got me thinking about that box there being less than $8 dollars and me being so crafty and all. And the jars are hard to shake. My jars always clump inside and never break apart. This time I tried various different hydration methods and times witht the millet.

It is very simple to build this box. If you cant build that box, you aint going to be able to pull off a bulk grow. Buy a box like mine at wal-mart, a length of dryer duct, and a pair of 1 dollar gloves, duct tape if you dont have any. Now take one end of the dryer duct and set it on the box at the spot you want the gloves, i put mine evenly spaced and towards where the lid is cause i made the lid the bottom, cause it aint clear. use a magic marker to draw around the duct. Now take a electric drill and a sharp drill bit, and drill a hole on your line, and use the drill bet sorta like a rotary saw, cut around the circle. now just put the duct in and twist it, it will screw in, screw it in untill it gets the length you want. stretch the gloves over the duct inside the box and seal everything with tape.

ta da glove boxage.

If you can whip your dick out and play with it, you can build this box.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3444162 - 12/04/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
Did you use a flow hood, or glove box, if you didnt im sure it will contam.

Are you saying that if someone does not have or use a flow hood or glove box that if they do any g2g , agar work (pours , inocs , tissue trans), inoc bulk subs , apply case , they will definetly fail , or grow nasties ????

Hmmmmmmm wish I had known that one sooner .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Millet and poo?!? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3444172 - 12/04/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I dont plan on using a glove box or a flow hood. I take a card table, put it upside down on my kitchen counter, then drape a sheet over it. It's kinda like a kiddie-style fort or something. I then wipe down the inside surface with alcohol and spray the shit outta the inside of the sheet with lysol. I wear gloves and a face mask, wipe my arms down with alcohol and spray myself and my hair with lysol, then I step under the sheet and work inside. If I can't get away with this, then fuck this hobby :wink:

Invisibletripndicular

#3444194 - 12/04/04 01:16 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

It may work ...
But my guess is "nasties" :eek: ... keeping poop in jars colonizing , did not work when I saw it done .

Worm poop started crawling ....... and there was no worms in it ! No... but it grew everything but myc!

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Millet and poo?!? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3444281 - 12/04/04 01:57 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

You are very immature. No I'm saying that it is not worth wasting time and spawn when you can make a nice glove box for 8 bux.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#3444399 - 12/04/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

How was my question "immature" ?
You gotta serious problem friend  :thumbdown:
You made it sound like such a "neccessity" to have all these tools or one will surely fail .
Broaden your horizons ... you might learn something . :eek:
OH so if "we" do not make a neat little 8$ glove box like "you" we will waste time or fail .
Thanx for answering my question with tact . :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by tripndicular (12/04/04 03:00 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation