Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests?
    #3443511 - 12/03/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

im not gonna go into places in south/central america, indo, asai and whatnot. that recieves lot sof publicity (relative). im talking about right here, BC specifically (and probably more places, sepecially on the coasts).

it sreally gets me when they say our forestry industry is suffering. the jobs yes but they are not pulling out any less logs. i am watching whole hillsides (many many square kilometers) being totally clearcut. mostly out in the booneys where no one lives. adn closer to the cities its getting developed and nothing but skimpy gardens grow back. its sickening. bc is North Americas amazon if you ask me. they may replant but when you clearcut again in 60/80 years it aint gonna last. old growth forest here is considered 200 years old and other things such as other plant life and such.

anyway i know i sound ranty but it really is going FAST, and according to Daily Planet (on discovery Channel) last year past the rockies (east) the next old growth forest is in ontario. and alberta/sask/manitoba are nto only praire. what the fuck? i think its time for canada to get off its high horse and stop their bitching about other countries (namely south american and USA) and start doing some shit here.

perhaps some knwo about the Carmanah Wlabran protests a while ago, by Nitinat Lake (where the West Coast Trail goes through). huge old growth. and now with heli logging they are getting into some prime area of the Grreat Bear Rainforest. but nevermind all those big name areas, cause every other corner of the province is getting jsut as hard.

and id ya know, the biggest clearcut in north america (maybe world? but i really couldnt say)....by prince goerge. cool huh?

we are in pretty sad shape, this is the main reason i dislike so much about canada. hypocritical whiners...much like me right now.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3443553 - 12/03/04 09:30 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

that heli-logging is crazy shit. i remember seeing these helicopters with big-ass blades flying around some mountains i used to live by, chopping down the trees like they were nothing.

i believe that norway has passed some legislation that greatly restricts logging operations... but even there it is causing a significant problem to natural ecosystems.

one solution might be we all live in bamboo houses. I guess bamboo grows quickly enough that it is harvestable every 2-3 years or so...

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: Krishna]
    #3443596 - 12/03/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

the solution would be cob houses....

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: Krishna]
    #3443756 - 12/03/04 10:45 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

there is LOTS of recycling going on.  theres a company that makes plastic boards.  steen studs are geting more popular.

thats not really the point, but it is.

Norway eh...you guys already logged your country though :frown:  everything you got left is all regrowth, and they still at it?  i got non blood family in normway and thats basically it.  they raped most of their natural resources and became quite well off from it.

and ya i agree heli logginf is fucked.  i really wish it didnt exist.  tehy are now able to rape pretty muchany tree they see fit.  and here in BC campbell was oh so kind as to lower the stumpage fee (price paid to the government (when logging crown land) per tree, "stump"age.  quick dolar is what rules us, ignorance is what keeps us going.  lately ive been getting very bitter towards this country.

hooty, what do you mean "cob houses"?

--------------------

InvisibleHendostan
Male

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: Hooty]
    #3443761 - 12/03/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Good oranization I've been involved with:
www.nativeforest.org

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: Hooty]
    #3443763 - 12/03/04 10:48 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Hooty said:
the solution would be cob houses....

cob or rammed earth :wink:

--------------------

Offlineazurescens
Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: blink]
    #3444021 - 12/04/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

The forests will grow back long after we are gone. It is our time in history. Worry about things that really matter!!!

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: azurescens]
    #3444204 - 12/04/04 01:19 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

well when it comes down to it i would honestly rather the trade towers be blown to shit than a forest be blown to shit. your entitled to your opinion. i however disagree and think the forests are VERY important. its not just trees. if i went to your buddies house and tor it apart for materials in the process taking their food, water, shelter, and all possibilities of normal life away would you care then? just curious at what price it becomes ok?

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #3444216 - 12/04/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

yes, and something else bothers me. they bulldoze and level an area to build a sub-division. and i have seen homes built there for 10 even 20 years with not one fucking tree planted. how hard is it to plant a tree?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3444221 - 12/04/04 01:30 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

apperantly VERY.  developers are going CARAZY here.  its insane, so many people are moving to here and teh gulf islands jacking housing prices way up and wreckign everything around us. 

i hate when people, noticeably "well off", move to places like these (foresty nature type places) to get out of the city.  tehy then proceed to clear their whole land plant a lawn and subdivide everything around them.  tehy are bringing the city into the bush and its gets me pretty red.

they do plant trees here though.  japanese maples, rodos and roses :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3444226 - 12/04/04 01:31 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah dude, they're chopping shit down left and right here. Everything's thinning out, I don't like it. :lipsrsealed:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: browndustin]
    #3444290 - 12/04/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

your up in nanaimo right? theres 2 dustins i recognize here never remember which is which. the cowichan valley is horrible. been driving all through there the last few months. whole mountains completely brown. some they even took ALL the stumps/logs out (very rare for here) for replanting. was liek a desert almost. very eary.

--------------------

InvisibleHendostan
Male

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? *DELETED* [Re: kadakuda]
    #3444303 - 12/04/04 02:07 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Post deleted by Hendostan

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: Hendostan]
    #3444371 - 12/04/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

ya it seems the whole pnw (teh BIG pnw, not the mushroom pnw :wink:) is bad!  i do some things although not enough.  i attend meetings and protests (although these are msotly developmental shit no one seems to care to protect the forests here).  i also cause various amounts of money draining activities to teh logging comapnies.  im still in life changing mode.  i ahve always been "tree hugger" at heart and am seriously considering droping most of what i have going now to devote most of my time to this.  still think ing what is the best things to do, its easy to go bust shit up and swear in front of buildings.  but coem end of day you look like a hippy ass hole and no one listens to you.  so that approach didnt work, time to find a new route.

hard to be civil when emotions run high, and i do respect the fact loggers wanting to make a living.  but they, the companies, go about it all wrong.  they could EASILY make WAY more money, but its not fast money.  and that right there i *think* is the core problem.

and thanks for the link, some nice pics on that site!  if your so interested you may want to look into BC's Garry Oak protection, or lack of.  VERY rare tree species here that everyone "wants" to save and keep.  i forget teh exact numbers but there used to be about 10,000 hectares, i think it was 100 years ago?, not it is jsut over 1000.  anyway my point is there is no federal or provincial protection.  whats on parks is protected and whats not is not.  they let municipalities govern this and in places like colwood/lanford (by Victoria BC...capitol city) they cut em all down for a home depot, costco, future shop, a & w, home outfitters and a bunch of other smalelr stores and parking lots.

--------------------

InvisibleHendostan
Male

#3444390 - 12/04/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah, this is one of the few areas where we need more federal regulation. leave it up to the states and it changes with every governor, leave it up to privatization and they build until there's nothing left...it's got to be protected somehow on a national (maybe international?) level. the best thing we could do is get the US and Canada working together on this one, cause it's all the same geographic region with a fake line running through it. Grassroots organization is the way to go...maybe we could pool some ideas and bring them up at whatever groups we're involved in or collaborate on some projects.
I should make it clear before someone starts yelling at me that I'm not against industry or logging...the native forest network page will show clear as day how much some of the logging and reforestation projects have been nothing but mistakes and empty promises..this is what I want to change, not stop their industry altogether.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: is anyone PISSED about our depleting forests? [Re: Hendostan]
    #3444426 - 12/04/04 03:13 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

ya totally. nto 100% against logging, but the way they do it today, and especially in teh past, its not going to last. teh only reason bc and the west has "so much" forest is because people havnt been here in the number liek they have in teh east. suzuki brought up a good example of selective logging somwhere in teh states, cant remember the name. but they make a killing, employ 7500+ people and only log a relativly small land cover over and over "sustainably".

but its hard to get them to stop when tehy are getting a few thousand for a tree in some cases.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub