Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
The science of proper nutrients
    #3442646 - 12/03/04 05:04 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Have the "optimum nutrient parameters" ever been determined for these mushrooms? Which nutrients are particularly beneficial to the mushrooms, and in what quantity? What about the best NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium/Potash) percentages?

Here are the nutrients in brown rice, which is the most common fertiliser that I am aware of. I know people put all kinds of things in their substrate, but which amendments/supplements are the best in terms of nutrients/NPK? (I don't mean to make this unnecessarily complicated, I just want some solid data instead of "throw some vulture turds in there" - without at least knowing what's in the turds that makes them better than rabbit turds)

Brown Rice/1 cup cooked

Calories 217
Total fat (g) 1.8
Saturated fat (g) 0.4
Monounsaturated fat (g) 0.6
Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0.6
Dietary fiber (g) 3.5
Protein (g) 5
Carbohydrate (g) 45
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Sodium (mg) 10
Niacin (mg) 3
Vitamin B6 (mg) 0.3
Manganese (mg) 1.8
Magnesium (mg) 84
Phosphorus (mg) 162
Selenium (mcg) 19

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The science of proper nutrients [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3442693 - 12/03/04 05:15 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

C/N ratio of around 17 to 1, with N in the area of 2.6.  :thumbup:

pH should be between 7.0 and 8.0.  :thumbup:

The preparation of mushroom compost is usually done in two stages. The breakdown of raw ingredients begins in Phase I. Phase I is characterized by building the raw ingredients into long rectangular piles approximately 2 m high called "ricks" or "windrows". These stacks are then periodically turned, watered, and formed. This phase is essentially a microbiological process resulting in release of energy and heat.

To favor the development of relatively high temperatures, aerobic conditions are maintained by aerating the compost during repeated mixing or turning. Temperature fluctuations during this phase are paralleled by similar changes in the numbers of thermophilic (heat loving) bacteria. These organisms start to grow rapidly and release energy in the form of heat. Thermogenesis by microorganisms initiates the heating of Phase I and also produces heat in Phase II.

The internal temperature of a compost pile can reach up to 80oC. Traditional Phase I composting lasts from 7 to 14 days depending on the condition of the material at the start and its characteristics at each turn. It is considered complete when the raw ingredients have become pliable and are capable of holding water. The odor of ammonia should be sharp, and the color of the compost is dark-brown in color, indicating caramelization and browning reactions have occurred.

It is primarily the control of the environment that distinguishes Phase II from Phase I. Typically, compost is loaded into wooden trays, which are stacked, and then placed in specially designed rooms where the environmental conditions can be manipulated. Phase II is commonly referred to as peak-heating and may be initiated by steam. Pasteurization is accomplished early in the Phase II operation and is necessary to kill many insects, nematodes, and other pests or pathogens that may be present in the compost.

Pasteurization requires air and compost temperatures of 66oC for a minimum of 2 hours. Once pasteurization is accomplished, cool air is introduced into the Phase II room to assure adequate oxygen, and to help dissipate ammonia. An important function of Phase II microbes that survive the pasteurization process is the conversion of residual ammonia into protein. Because ammonia is lethal to the mushroom mycelium, it must be removed by the end of Phase II.

A stage is reached when the available food supplies for organisms inhabiting the compost become quite limiting, hence their activity decreases. The substrate is now set for spawning, and the substrate is said to be 'selective' for the growth of  mushrooms. Once the odor of ammonia is no longer present, Phase II is over and the compost temperature can be dropped to 24oC for the addition of any type grain spawn. Completed compost should have a C/N ratio of around 17 to 1, with N in the area of 2.6.

Initially raw compost will have an alkaline pH. When mature and ready for inoculation the pH should be between 7.0 and 8.0. As the mushroom and mycelium grows there will be a drop of pH from the excreted metabolites until the pH reaches 5.0-5.5 at which time mushroom production will generally cease.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: The science of proper nutrients [Re: agar]
    #3442705 - 12/03/04 05:18 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Mary... Mary quite contrary ...
We know how your garden grows  :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The science of proper nutrients [Re: tripndicular]
    #3442740 - 12/03/04 05:23 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

:thumbup:

:wink:

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

Re: The science of proper nutrients [Re: agar]
    #3442805 - 12/03/04 05:35 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Yeah yeah you mycological ape you ! :crazy2:
I bet you are hovering over cpu beating on your chest in a dominant sort of way . :rolleyes:
I'm gonna go tell my little fellas I love them either way  :wink:

Not bad for PESA's ?????????

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The science of proper nutrients [Re: tripndicular]
    #3442890 - 12/03/04 05:52 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

careful, when they hit puberty the like to challenge you.

of course, I think I remember this monkey and am really happy to see him return.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: The science of proper nutrients [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3442911 - 12/03/04 05:56 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

I think he still swings from trees though  :wink:
But will always be respected as a Silver Back  :cool:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation