Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
Buying a Guitar
    #3439446 - 12/02/04 07:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Recently I've decided that I want to play guitar. I understand that there are quite a few guitar players here, so what kind of guitar would you recommend for a beginner? Price and the quality of sound are my two main concerns I guess. I don't really have a price range in mind, but nothing too high. Is it a lot cheaper to get a used guitar, or should I go with a new one?

Also, any tips for a beginner? Should I get lessons or learn to play on my own? What other equipment will I need (amp, tuning gear, etc.) As of now I know very little about the topic so any advice is appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Buying a Guitar [Re: Comfortably_Numb]
    #3439471 - 12/02/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I actually just bought my second guitar.  The guitar I started with was a strat rip-off, made by Aria.  You can find many fairly cheap off brand solid body guitars at many shops.  I would suggest looking around at any small store ... nothing like guitar center or anything.  You should be able to find some nice guitars for a relatively low price.  Play a bunch and see how they feel etc ...  You could also talk to the employees but there is no guarantee they are giving you good information.  Luckily the small guitar store whene I bought both of my guitars has great employees that I've known for quite some time now. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: Buying a Guitar [Re: abhi]
    #3439545 - 12/02/04 07:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I'm quite a guitar geek, so... I'll resume:
Take the guitar you feel comfortably with. Don't look at models nor prices. Go for the one that most appeal to you. In the end, what you need is an instrument you WANT to play. If you go for the cheapest you'll get an instrument hard to play and bad-sounding. I personally love fenders, so I'll recommend a fender stratocaster from Mexico; about 300-500$ and great quality! But remember, take the one you feel better suits your hands; sound can be changed quite easily, be it pups or by eq'ing. What you can't change is the way you feel. If the guitar screams to you "buy me" when you touch it, do it.

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

What What?
Male User Gallery
Re: Buying a Guitar [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #3439578 - 12/02/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I just noticed you wanted to know about amplifiers and such. Well, may I refer you to thefenderforum.com and harmonycentral.com (go to the forums) any info you could want will be likely there already.
As for lessons or self taught... I am self taught and I'm a professional, but some people prefer lessons. Self taught requires a lot more motivation, and for you to be very curious (why does this sound good/bad? what would happen if...? and so) Lessons can prove very useful for a fast access to material, but can dismiss your creativity if you let them enter too much your brain :wink: does that make any sense? anyway, I'll post a little more tomorrow, k? good luck!

--------------------

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#3439678 - 12/02/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/
A great great site. I bought my second guitar there. They have a great selection and good prices. They also have free catalogs.

InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
    #3439698 - 12/02/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Deepman said:
Take the guitar you feel comfortably with. Don't look at models nor prices. Go for the one that most appeal to you.

Keep in mind I've NEVER played guitar before, so how would I get a feel for it? Just the weight and how it feels in my hands? Also I don't really understand how getting lessons would effect my creativity - maybe I should get a few lessons to learn the basics then continue from there on my own. I sometimes tend to lose motivation, but playing guitar is something I'd really like to become good at. Thanks for the advice man.

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #3439740 - 12/02/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Try noodling around on the guitars. I'm sure you'll notice some difference in playability, whether it's the shape of the neck/material or compatibility (if you will) with your hands.

And if you like message boards, the one I've gone to for guitar equipment information is guitargeek.com

--------------------

OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
    #3439750 - 12/02/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Get a really cheap guitar to start on. If you can make it sound good, you know you're made to play guitar. If you give up then it's no big deal, you only paid a few quid.. or bucks, whatever. Also when you've decided you want to do guitar, then you can upgrade, you'll have more cash to spend on your P+J.

Get a few lessons. Make the guy show you shit you want to play. Easy shit.. You want to be able to play something that sounds like music very quickly. Powerchords, then open chords, then the barre chords. Don't let him start getting into all musical theory and scales or whatever. You can sort that shit out for yourself later. Then once you have basics, you can decide from a more informed standpoint. More lessons, or the self taught approach. There's an unlimited supply of reading material on the web, from lessons, scales and chords, tabs, the lot.

Once you can play a litte, it's good ear training to try and figure out progressions from listening to stuff too. It's hard as shit when you've just started, but I reckon you learn a lot that way.

Good luck :smile:

--------------------

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #3439772 - 12/02/04 08:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Comfortably_Numb said:
Quote:

Deepman said:
Take the guitar you feel comfortably with. Don't look at models nor prices. Go for the one that most appeal to you.

Keep in mind I've NEVER played guitar before, so how would I get a feel for it? Just the weight and how it feels in my hands? Also I don't really understand how getting lessons would effect my creativity - maybe I should get a few lessons to learn the basics then continue from there on my own. I sometimes tend to lose motivation, but playing guitar is something I'd really like to become good at. Thanks for the advice man.

Maybe you could take some friend over to help you decide? hopefully someone with guitar knowledge? It's very important that it fits your hands. Are you decided for an electric?

The lessons thingy... well, it SHOULDN'T affect your creativity, but some people get so into scales and so that they forget music is an art , which means... no rules. Some people are afraid of this :wink: It seems to me like the greatest idea to have at least a few months of lessons. Also, now there are a lot of papers (revistas en espa?ol?), books, etc  to learn alone. (all of them with Cd's to play along and all...)

"I sometimes tend to lose motivation, but playing guitar is something I'd really like to become good at".

I see your nick is Comfortably_numb, so I guess you like (love?) pink Floyd. You know the amazing solos from that song right? I can play them and I've been playing only for 5 years. Now I'm a semi-professional. I've only taken 2 lessons in my life. You know how I did it? I wanted to be good, just as you. If you love music (as it seems) and would really love to learn to play, you'll do it.
Don't be afraid of losing motivation. If you love music as I hope you do, you won't. I promise you :wink:

--------------------

What What?
Male User Gallery
Re: Buying a Guitar [Re: Hambo]
    #3439784 - 12/02/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hambo said:
Get a really cheap guitar to start on. If you can make it sound good, you know you're made to play guitar. 

I mean no disrespect but... this is a big no-no in my book. Usually cheap guitars sound horrible and play worse. Who could be motivated if everything you play sounds like shit no matter how much you try?

Also, great guitarists can make a bad guitar sound good, right... but we're not great guitarists yet :wink:

Anyway, best of luck!!!

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3439830 - 12/02/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Ive been playing guitar half my life and think that for a beginner quality is not that big of an issue. This isnt to say that a shitty ass guitar will suit you well, but rather a ow end model from a reliable company will probably best suit your needs. There are plenty of acoustics out there for under $200 that sound great. If I were you I would go into a guitar store, preferrably one with a large selection and try out a number of lower priced models. Find one with a neck that isnt too wide. Consider a nylon string to start off with, as this will be easier to make sound properly. I learned on a 12 string and it was a bitch! The plus side was everything seemed easier after that. Id especially go with an acoustic though, that way you can learn the basics without dropping a fortune on other gear. Good luck bro.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
    #3439848 - 12/02/04 08:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

fair enough. We all go on personal experience.

personally I started with a shit guitar. It sounded like shit, played like shit, and looked like shit. In fact I think it may have just been a dog turd someone picked up off the street and glued strings onto. But that never stopped me, I been playing 10 years or thereabouts.

Also it didn't cost me much, though at the time it was a lot for me to spend. As a result when I got good enough to play in a band, I had a little extra to spend on stuff.

thats all I was trying to say really. That and I've seen very few guitars that truly sounded like actual 'shit', even my cheap guitar still sounded like a guitar. One in fact, and thats because the neck was very nearly l shaped.. And I still try to play it every time I see it lol :grin:

--------------------

OfflineChingChong
Non-OffensiveTalker

Loc: Where the buffalo roam
    #3439931 - 12/02/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

get an acoustic guitar and start with that, it'll make playing electric guitar seem so much easier and godlike. because of the strings and all...

--------------------
How can one murder enormously if one is microscopic.

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #3439933 - 12/02/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

personally I started with a shit guitar. It sounded like shit, played like shit, and looked like shit.

Me too :frown: I decided not to play for a lot of years because of that shittie thing (I'm holding it between my arms right now, it's my mother's spanish guitar) How much better would have been if I had a better guitar! I wouldn't stopped playing for at least... 5 years. Man what a waste of time :frown::(:(

That's why I recommend a semi-cheap guitar, but not an actually bad one. As you said there are very good guitars for 200$, and some great guitars for 350$. There are also bad guitars that cost 1500$ (see ibanez hehehe)

--------------------

Offlinefloydguitar
smooth guitarist

#3439935 - 12/02/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i been playing guitar for 12 years. i would say go to a guitar store try holding a few guitars and see which one fells the best. if you are serious get a higher quality one and if you are not to sure get one that feels good but not to expensive just in case you decide it is not for you at least you did not waist to much money. i have a fender stratocaster that cost me around 1300 but was worth every penny. my cheapest guitar i have is the first one i bought cost around 150 good beginner guitar, it is a zenox not to sure if anyone has even heard of this brand. my dad got it for me at one of those small music places. anyway good luck.

OfflineRazorFire
Stranger

Re: Buying a Guitar [Re: floydguitar]
    #3439964 - 12/02/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I would highly reccomend ESp(LTD). They are great guitars and for the price range, you cant find another guitar in equal quality. Just look at musiciansfriend website i have the LTD(esp) mh250 and its great.
RazorFire

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3440096 - 12/02/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Welcome to wild wonderful world of guitars! Some things to think about:

1. You are either going to get an acoustic or an electric. I find electrics more versatile. You can get a shitty little amp and have a blast doing different stuff with an electric. An acoustic is fun, but you can't alter the sound and experiment. It sounds the same all the time. If you are into becoming a folk musician...get an acoustic. But, if you just want to get good at guitar, I suggest getting an electric and a little amp first.

2. I realize that you are a beginner. You should not go out and buy a $2000 dollar guitar. But, you shouldn't buy a piece of shit either. Crappy guitars make playing frustrating because they go out of tune, are often unplayable, and don't sound good. Get a decent guitar. Anything under $150(American)....don't even look at it.

3. Don't ever order a guitar sight unseen. Pick up a guitar and play it. Considering that you have never played a guitar, you might not know what to look for in a quality guitar. Here are some of those things:

a. Does it feel comfortable in your hands?
b. Look down the fret board as best as you can to see if it looks as if the frets are all aligned and the neck is not warped.
c. Move the tuners around. Do they hold the string at a certain note, or do they slip? NEVER get a guitar with shitty tuners.
d. Compare the guitar to other guitars. Try all of the sound settings on the pickups.

Here is my opinion on some brand names:

1.GIBSON - Very good guitars, but overpriced. You are going to pay for the name more than anything. When you buy a $1500 Gibson, you are getting an $800 dollar guitar. Definately not for the beginner looking to make a cheap and reasonable entry into the guitar world.

2.FENDER - Fender guitars run the gamut from ultra cheap and shitty to very good. The American Fender Strats are overpriced. I have found that the Mexican strats don't sound as good as the Americans, but they aren't horrible guitars.

3. IBANEZ - A tad bit overpriced. Also, the quality is not consistent. I've played Ibanez's that felt great and I've played the exact same model at another shop that didn't feel good to play. A moderately priced Ibanez wouldn't be bad for a beginner. They are more for "shredding" i.e. fast heavy metal music.

4. ESP - A good company. They make some super nice guitars and the LTD's(their mass-produced lower price stuff) aren't all that bad.

5. SCHECTER - A well kept secret. They make very good quality guitars with top knotch components and the prices are astoundingly low. I have one.

6. JACKSON - I don't have much experience with these guitars. They seem to be built reasonably well and are more for heavy metal than anything else.

You might want to check out some cheaper Hamers too. Definately not bad guitars for the price.

Edited by RandalFlagg (12/03/04 12:02 PM)

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB
    #3440175 - 12/02/04 10:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I highly reccomend marijuana in addition to playing the guitar. Hippies had something there.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
Re: Buying a Guitar [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3440563 - 12/02/04 11:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"5. SCHECTER - A well kept secret. They make very good quality guitars with top knotch components and the prices are astoundingly low. I have one."

Yeah theyregreat for the price. I got one for Xmas 2 years ago when they first started makin guitars. Amazing what a quality instrument I got, and it was under $200. Now the same model is running nearly 3 times the amount. I think they were producing guitar parts for years, then finally it dawned on them to make the whole thing. Thank god, they rock.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Buying a Guitar [Re: beejay]
    #3442088 - 12/03/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, they were a parts business for a long time. Then, I guess they opened up a factory in South Korea to start manufacturing guitars. It used to be that all Korean guitars sucked dick...now some nice ass guitars are being made there.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order