Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
The Future of Technology
    #3438626 - 12/02/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This is how the home computer of 2004 looked to the people of 1954:

Click to enlarge:

"Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "home computer" could look like in the year 2004. However, the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also, the scientists readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work, but 50 years from now scientific progress is expected to solve these problems. With teletype interface and the Fortran language, the computer will be easy to use."

I like that giant 'steering wheel' thing on the left. I wonder where the clutch and gear-shift is. My computer just has a mouse wheel. Heheh...

Anyone hazard a guess at where science will take us in another 50 years? :wink:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: The Future of Technology [Re: Diploid]
    #3438637 - 12/02/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hahahaha... that picture is great.

I don't have so much as a guess where we'll be technologically in 50 years, I'm just using your thread as a refuge from all the freaking religion threads that are nearly keeping me off S+P all together at this point...

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3438675 - 12/02/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It should be noted that this photograph was photoshopped in 2004 :P

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: The Future of Technology [Re: Phluck]
    #3438692 - 12/02/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well that kind of ruins the fun, now doesn't it...

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity
    #3438702 - 12/02/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small small...

BIG! again.

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3438733 - 12/02/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The other day hubby and I were talking about all cars being equipped with GPS and auto drive based on the co-ordinates you plug in to the system. With all cars on the system, computers will direct the safe and efficient flow of traffic.

I also like the idea of flying cars like in the jetsons. When I was a kid, I use to draw vacuum tube systems for fast travel.

I'm also liking the idea of science creating 3-D holographic realty projections we can interact with, like what R2D2 could do. Imagine being able to hit a button and ya have Julia Childs in your kitchen teaching you to make Duck a lorange. he he Ohhhhhhh the possibilities.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #3438785 - 12/02/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It should be noted that this photograph was photoshopped in 2004 :P

Mea culpa. I sharpened it a bit to make the caption read better. :smirk:

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Future of Technology [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3438824 - 12/02/04 05:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I also like the idea of flying cars like in the jetsons.

We're already fairly close to that fantasy:

Airliners can *completely* fly themselves today. During take-off and en-route, they use inertial navigation and GPS, and to land, even with zero visibility, they use a system called Category 3.  :thumbup:

The only reason we don't have pilotless airliners today isn't a limitation of technology, it's a limitation of the flying public's willingness to get on such an airplane. Still, statistically speaking, a pilotless airplane is much safer than one subject to human error which causes virtually all flying accidents.

--------------------
Republican Values:

Offlinemanbeef
psychedelicfarmer

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Vancouver, BC
    #3438841 - 12/02/04 05:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Future of Technology [Re: manbeef]
    #3438851 - 12/02/04 05:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Aack! That's what I get for not checking up on what people send me by email. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.  :tongue:

"Although the photograph displayed could represent what some people in the early 1950s contemplated a "home computer" might look like (based on the technology of the day), it isn't, as the accompanying text claims, a RAND Corporation illustration from 1954 of a prototype "home computer." The picture is actually an entry submitted to an image modification competition, taken from an original photo of a submarine maneuvering room console found on U.S. Navy web site, converted to grayscale, and modified to replace a modern display panel and TV screen with pictures of a decades-old teletype/printer and television (as well as to add the gray-suited man to the left-hand side of the photo)"

--------------------
Republican Values:

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3438878 - 12/02/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The link said they used the photo because it was a close replica of what they thought it would be like back then. Big deal. Hardly worth scraping the post idea over.

The idea for this post was fun and your spirit was in a great place to put it up. We can keep rolling with it. Besides, it gives us cool stuff to look forward too instead of the doom and gloom prophecies that were flying around here a few weeks ago.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (12/02/04 05:31 PM)

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3439079 - 12/02/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I thought I would post this to give some perspective to the topic. I am only 36 years of age. 36 years is nothin within the whole of recorded time.

I can remember life, where the only phones were rotary and corded.

I can remember there being no such thing as the micro wave oven, no such thing as music CDs, No VCRS or VHS tapes let alone DVD players, NO cable televisions, and NO video games.

I remember when Atari Pong came out. We had two little lines with a ball bouncing back and forth and that was a BIG deal. Before that arcades were full of pin ball machines and air hockey only. before 6th grade- no one had a home computer I knew of. When we finally got one, think I was 16ish, all it had was a word processor-oooohhhhhhh. And it beat the hell out of a type writer and using white out for school reports.

I think of what I have seen develop in the last 36 years alone and I am amazed at how fast technology is changing life. 20 years from now is going to be wild by comparison of today.

It's even wild to consider, had a handful of key people not been born, I wouldn't be typing this now for you all to read and what different place we might be in instead.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3439111 - 12/02/04 06:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
It's even wild to consider, had a handful of key people not been born, I wouldn't be typing this now for you all to read and what different place we might be in instead.

Oh, but this opens up a whole 'nother subject.. hehe. :smile:

It might be plausible to go so far as to say that if a handful of people had not been born, we'd all be in very different places in life as well as states of mind. And I'm not just talking about the key people who invented computers or whatnot. heh.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: The Future of Technology [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3439145 - 12/02/04 06:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

For sure, take a few of the founding fathers of america out of the situation, JESUS, Ceasar, Albert Einstien, Osama Bin laden, the guy who discovered penicillin.

Who says one human being alone is not powerful?

I wonder even what if any shroomerite might see their name in histories lights for doing something major and pivital in the future.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3439180 - 12/02/04 06:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It need not even be someone famous or someone who's been deemed important to the innovation of man.

My point was more that if you take ANY single variable in history and change it, it has the potential to change a great deal of things into the future. (butterfly effect.)

Key word being potential... these changes may not necessarily influence or effect us specifically and individually, but there is a possibility of it doing so.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3439199 - 12/02/04 06:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've always dreamed of building a giant ring around the Earth, within which I would live.

If everything was balanced perfectly, it should 'hover' above the earth..  that is, the pull of gravity from every direction would basically all cancel out, it'd just be stuck in orbit.  it might have to rotate..  i haven't thought it out -that- far.
Basically I figure there's one of two outcomes.  It either works perfectly, and I go down as the only person to ever actually have a floating castle..

or it fails, crashes horribly into the Earth, and as it drags along the surface creates a huge swath of destruction, possibly even disrupting the orbit of our planet and sending us careening to our doom..  also making me the only person to actually doom the entire -planet-.

:laugh:  vote for me.  god-king of earth.  you know you want to.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3439212 - 12/02/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I hear ya about the butterfly effect, but its impossible to know what unknowns served as deviation supports.

By using famous names and having seen their contributions to change, it makes an impact to what one person can do shape the face of life as we know it.

What trillions of proverbial butterflies have caused?? That's just one big mind fuck in itself.

Wouldn't it be neat to get a peek at what life for others and what would have gone differently and how so if YOU were never born?

That's a trip in itself.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3439226 - 12/02/04 06:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
What trillions of proverbial butterflies have caused?? That's just one big mind fuck in itself.

Yeah, that alone was my point... I wasn't trying to device any particular meaning out of my claims--just trying to observe and point out the incredible awe-inspiring nature of the fact that without everything having been exactly as it was, nothing would be exactly as it is. :smile:

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3439241 - 12/02/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't mean what life would be like if YOU JC were not born, I meant it in general for each reader to think about themselves and what they have had a changing effect on, or whom and what their being alive has meant to others, one way or the other.

It's something for the individual to contemplate. Just thinking about it relative to myself has me feeling differently already.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #3439244 - 12/02/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it gives us cool stuff to look forward too instead of the doom and gloom prophecies

Yeah, that was the idea. :thumbup:

So...

The Carbon-60 molecule is such an amazing discovery that the three scientists who discovered it were awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1996.

Carbon-60 is a sphere of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a pattern like a soccer ball. Its nickname is Buckyball after Buckminster Fuller, the inventor of the geodesic dome, like the one up the road from me at Disney World - EPCOT, which it resembles. Other substances in the same class as carbon-60 are called Fullerenes, again after Buckminster Fuller.

Geodesic domes are among the lightest, strongest, and most cost-effective structures ever devised. They are able to cover more space without internal supports than any other enclosure, and surprisingly, as they get larger, they become proportionally lighter and stronger!

Click to enlarge:

Variants of the carbon-60 molecule are some of the most advanced molecules technology can produce today, and they promise all sorts of wonderful new innovations for the future. Amazingly, carbon-60 has been unwittingly produced by humans since prehistoric times; it occurs in the soot of campfires.

One of the reasons carbon-60 is so useful is that its interatomic bonds are as strong as those of a diamond, but the bonding forces between solid carbon-60 molecules are weak. These characteristics give Buckyballs the ability to hold a molecule of a different substance *inside* of itself without interacting chemically with the captured molecule! Nothing else can do this as far as I'm aware. The closest thing to this is chemical sequestration by chelation which has the huge disadvantage of chemically reacting the chelated substance.

Click to enlarge:

All kinds of potential applications exist for this stuff, including new drugs that target diseased cells like cancer directly without affecting other cells, or to treat Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and a slew of other conditions.

Carbon-60 nanotubes to conduct electricity faster and more efficiently than wires could lead to huge improvements in the speed of computers, and the miniaturization of electronic circuits. Display screens, digital cameras, cell-phones, and all sorts of existing devices stand to gain from this discovery.

By the way, looking at those two pics side-by-side like this it's hard to ignore the similarities between the very large and the very small. The EPCOT dome must be ~15 orders of magnitude larger than a Buckyball molecule, but they're very similar structurally. :whoa:

--------------------
Republican Values:

Edited by Diploid (12/02/04 07:05 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder