Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS
    #3438528 - 12/02/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Marijuana Use Linked to Psychosis

URL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_21596.html (*this news item will not be available after 12/31/2004)

Reuters Health Information
Wednesday, December 1, 2004

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Young people who smoke marijuana are at increased risk for developing psychosis, new research shows. The risk is particularly high for people who are predisposed to the reality-distorting mental illness, such as those with an affected family member.

"There is a public health message here," senior author Dr. Jim van Os, from Maastricht University in the Netherlands, told a news conference. "While it would be very difficult to expect young people to stop using (marijuana) altogether, they could be made aware of the possible negative consequences of taking the drug if they had a family history of psychosis."

Although a link between marijuana use and psychosis is well established, the direction of the association is unclear. That is to say, while cannabis use may cause psychosis, it is also possible that people predisposed to psychosis are simply more likely to use cannabis -- a theory called the self-medication hypothesis.

"To our knowledge, no (forward-looking) study to date has tested this hypothesis using information on predisposition for psychosis in relation to later" marijuana use, the researchers note.

As reported in the British Medical Journal, the researchers analyzed data from 2437 subjects, between 14 and 24 years, who were followed for 4 years. Standardized personal interviews were performed at the start of the study and at follow-up to assess predisposition to psychosis, marijuana use, and psychotic symptoms.

Marijuana use when the study began raised the risk of psychotic symptoms at follow-up by 67 percent, the researchers point out. As noted, the risk was most pronounced in subjects with a predisposition to psychosis.

In contrast, a predisposition to psychosis did not increase the likelihood of marijuana use at follow-up, which refutes the self-mediation hypothesis, the team says.

Marijuana use "moderately increases the risk of psychotic symptoms in young people but has a much stronger effect in those with evidence of predisposition for psychosis," the researchers conclude.

SOURCE: British Medical Journal, December 1st online issue, 2004.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: Asante]
    #3438592 - 12/02/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I can see that sort of being true, as is the case with any drug that alters the way your mind works. I think people with strong and flexible minds however, should be at no risk.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3438807 - 12/02/04 05:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is there anywhere I could find the exact experiment procedure along with a detailed analysis of the results. That article is incredibly subjective in its results. Also i don't see how how they got roughly a thousand people to start smoking pot for 4 years while controlling all of the confounding variables..

Also psychosis is an incredibly vague term.

While i wholeheartedly agree that marijuana like most mind altering substances can induce the onset of psychosis in people who are predisposed to it, i doubt that people who are 100% psychologically healthy have a moderately increased risk of psychotic symptoms solely from smoking pot.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3438813 - 12/02/04 05:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Lots of things will lead into people into "psychotic" thoughts. I don't like it when people pair drug use and problems, there's far too much context that needs to be taken into account.
I can pretty much pass this up as bullshit, seeing as how I have a far better grasp on my reality than many others (Which isn't saying much). I'd say a good 90% are walking around like zombies, completely asleep... thank goodness for places like the shroomery.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #3438870 - 12/02/04 05:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Just In:  MARIJUANA USE  linked to  PSYCHOSIS

LOL! :lol:

That is nothing new.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #3439038 - 12/02/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the word psychosis. 

I've just looked up several definitions, and they all seem very broad.  Here is one:

Quote:

psy?cho?ses (-sz)
A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.

here is another:

Quote:

PSYCHOSIS: A mental condition whereby the patient completely loses touch with reality. 

Quote:

Meaning of PSYCHOSIS
Pronunciation:    sI'kowsis

Medical Dictionary

Definition:  Mental disturbance of serious magnitude that may be characterized by loss of contact with reality. Delusions and hallucinations are often present.

And the last one, which is most helpful:

Quote:

Psychosis is a psychiatric classification for a mental state in which the perception of reality is distorted. Persons experiencing a psychotic episode may experience hallucinations (often auditory or visual hallucinations), hold paranoid or delusional beliefs, experience personality changes and exhibit disorganized thinking (see thought disorder). This is sometimes accompanied by features such as a lack of insight into the unusual or bizarre nature of their behavior, difficulties with social interaction and impairments in carrying out the activities of daily living.

I guess by that last definition, I am psychotic!  :stoned:

Anonymous #1

#3439126 - 12/02/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Cannabis psychosis! I knew it was true. I suffer from it myself.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #3440554 - 12/02/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i definetely could see this happening if the kid started smoking at age 14 or so.
the brain is still under developement and altho pot is fairly safe in moderation, heavy usage could alter brain patterns...

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: d33p]
    #3440976 - 12/03/04 03:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

D33P said:
While i wholeheartedly agree that marijuana like most mind altering substances can induce the onset of psychosis in people who are predisposed to it, i doubt that people who are 100% psychologically healthy have a moderately increased risk of psychotic symptoms solely from smoking pot.

Hey I just published the paper here in Health because it belongs here!

Personally I believe that psychosis can only occur in people who are genetically predisposed towards it. That it must be a wedding between organic factors in the brain and facilitating events in the outside world and beliefs system.

But it's this disposition thing that counts. 1-2 people in 100 are schizophrenics, we know this because they get fullblown episodes which leave no doubts. Then there are schizoaffective people and people tripped into a reactive psychosis, brief psychotic disorder and on top of that there must be people with a disposition to it who lead such a quiet life they do not get psychosis or get the wrong diagnosis.

All in all I believe that at least one in ten people are predisposed and thus at risk for developing psychosis.
Until the Human Genome Project supplies us with the answers we need a figure and this is a pretty sharp one.

This means that many who visit the Health forum because "something is not right" are in the dangerzone where it comes to psychosis.
Being a mod at Other Drugs Discussion and a devourer of tons of threads :smirk: I see there's a lot of polydrug use going on that multiplies the individual risks of the drugs involved.

Since pot is surrounded by a myth that it is totally harmless, and I found this article on MEDLINE yesterday, I decided to post it here so people with problems (who might be predisposed to getting psychosis) can read once more that allthough pot has a great safety for most, it is not safe for everybody.

I'm doing this for the good of the community.
We are a pro-drug site, but people should keep their eyes open to real risks, as drug research (especially in holland) isn't all Freevibe and WOD. Pot tends to be very safe, but some people should not use it.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineNosferatuMan
Stranger
    #3441056 - 12/03/04 05:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have a question. . .what about people who smoke pot for the first time and run around screaming that they're going to die. Do these types of people seem to have underlying mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and the like? Or do they just have terribly weak egos or something. Keep in mind that I know people who have done this and experienced tons of other drugs and could handle them very well.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3441086 - 12/03/04 06:13 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well the only problem I have with this study is that it pales in comparrison to word-of-mouth :smirk:

There are a lot of young people who smoke marijuana. Lots of them smoke it regularly, on a daily basis.

So why don't we have more psychotics running around? I've never heard of someone losing their mind due to marijuana, until now.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: trendal]
    #3441677 - 12/03/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you got a population that would get 10 psychotics, now it would be 17. That's quite significant but due to the low prevalence of psychosis they are few and far between.

People end up in mental hospitals for it. That's not the scene you or I hang out but here in Holland it is known and accepted throughout the medical community that its a fact.

It's the chicken and the egg. But it's found that a genetically predisposed chicken lays 1.67 eggs on pot instead of 1.
So like the article I want to stress that people with psychosis in their family or their past should best abstain from smoking pot.

I bet TOXLINE has a stack of papers on it, click it in my sig.

Psychosis is usually an indirect process btw with the person coming unstuck in weeks instead of inbetween tokes.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Edited by Asante (12/03/04 10:27 AM)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#3442092 - 12/03/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

So like the article I want to stress that people with psychosis in their family or their past should best abstain from smoking pot.

I would urge anyone with a family history of psychosis or other "serious" mental ilness to obstain from using ALL drugs. If your mind is already teetering on the hairy edge of insanity, it won't take that much to push you off the deep end :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3442104 - 12/03/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

True. However, admittedly, I have a rather serious mental illness, and I've found weed to be quite palliative. Of course, that's just me...

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3442110 - 12/03/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe if you're already that nuts...you just can't get any worse :wink:

:lol: I kidd!

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3442123 - 12/03/04 12:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You may be onto something there! :biggrin:

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #3458538 - 12/07/04 03:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

about 2 years ago i was smoking marijuana regularly, combined with a stressful time in my life, and some hefty shroom experiences...and i experienced a psychotic break, while under the influence of marijuana, that lasted beyond the drugs effects.

I remember i was sitting on geokills couch, actually, completely convinced that the government knew that i was thinking certain things, waiting for them to burst down the door at any second to arrest me.  I dont mean i was just thinking this, i mean i was shaking, completely convinced that this was going to happen...completely lost my grip on reality.  I would pinpoint that as the actual moment when it happened, since i had been having shorter episodes prior to that.  After that it just went downhill...i would sit down and talk to people, and be thinking the most ass-backward things, completely convinced that they were true...eventually i started to question what i was thinking, and went and got help.

Was on respirtol(sp?) for a while, which left its mark on me, no question.

Took me roughly 2 years to become comfortable with the herbs again, and even now i still find myself slipping here and there.  I find that if i just channel all that bullshit into my guitar when im high, life is ok.

but enough of my bullshit,

I think the more important thing to focus on is whether or not one is succeptable to a psychotic break to begin with...becuase if you are, any majorly stressful event, or a number of substances can trigger that break to happen.

Not suprising, but amusing :smile:

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Anonymous #2

Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: Kremlin]
    #3520004 - 12/19/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Anonymous (05/29/14 11:56 PM)

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #3520034 - 12/19/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Holy shit man, you don't do mushrooms do you?!

Anonymous #2

Re: Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3520039 - 12/19/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Anonymous (05/29/14 11:57 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale