Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
noob questions
    #3438507 - 12/02/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Hello all

This is my first post to the shroomery. I've been lurking for a little bit, trying to get a feel for the atmosphrere of this forum, and learning as much as possible at the same time. I will be growing for the first time using the PF tek method. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any experiences they could share with dealing with The Hawk's Eye? I ordered a spore syringe from them about a week ago, and have heard and seen nothing. I realize that there is a delay in shipping and whatnot, but i'm extremely anxious to get started.

2. I have read several different versions of the PF tek, and it seems that the major discrepancy is that in one version, the cakes are supposed to be put directly onto perlite or hydroton (whichever is availible) and in the other the cakes are supposed to be put onto a layer of mesh which is suspended about an inch above the floor of your chamber. Which will give me better results? Also, if the perlite way is better, how do i go about changing the water in the chamber, and how often should it be done?

3. I read about the "Poor man's Pod" the first time i was here. The trouble is that i can't find the page that describes the exact specs for constructing it. I remember that the post was roughly 6 pages long, and started witht he author being accused of trying to rip off someone else's idea. I've tried searching, and the only results i've gotten were not for the post i was looking for. Does anyone have a link to that post?

4. I will have the pod in a closet. Is there any problems that i will have with keeping it hidden? Like are the bubblers or pump loud? Is there a smell given off constantly, or only when the chamber is opened? Is there anything i can do to decrease the chance of contamination besides vacuuming, lysol, etc? I'm more worried about contamination after birthing than during colonization due to the fact that the closet is carpeted and i have not seen anything concerning the sterilization of the chamber itself.

Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: noob questions [Re: Fearthegecko]
    #3438554 - 12/02/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Must go t obed but a last quicky:
1. No but I suggest contact them, I only hear good things about them vendors here also about THE. There is also vendor forum here.
2. In the old tek layer of mesh there isnt perlite involved is it? One can put them on perlite or on the lid of the jar... if your tub is closed there wont be escaping much water so just spray the cakes a bit now and then if and when needed.
3. Here you go Magash's PMP
4. Airpump can make some noise

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3438684 - 12/02/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Fearthegecko said:
Hello all

This is my first post to the shroomery. I've been lurking for a little bit, trying to get a feel for the atmosphrere of this forum, and learning as much as possible at the same time. I will be growing for the first time using the PF tek method. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any experiences they could share with dealing with The Hawk's Eye? I ordered a spore syringe from them about a week ago, and have heard and seen nothing. I realize that there is a delay in shipping and whatnot, but i'm extremely anxious to get started.

2. I have read several different versions of the PF tek, and it seems that the major discrepancy is that in one version, the cakes are supposed to be put directly onto perlite or hydroton (whichever is availible) and in the other the cakes are supposed to be put onto a layer of mesh which is suspended about an inch above the floor of your chamber. Which will give me better results? Also, if the perlite way is better, how do i go about changing the water in the chamber, and how often should it be done?

3. I read about the "Poor man's Pod" the first time i was here. The trouble is that i can't find the page that describes the exact specs for constructing it. I remember that the post was roughly 6 pages long, and started witht he author being accused of trying to rip off someone else's idea. I've tried searching, and the only results i've gotten were not for the post i was looking for. Does anyone have a link to that post?

4. I will have the pod in a closet. Is there any problems that i will have with keeping it hidden? Like are the bubblers or pump loud? Is there a smell given off constantly, or only when the chamber is opened? Is there anything i can do to decrease the chance of contamination besides vacuuming, lysol, etc? I'm more worried about contamination after birthing than during colonization due to the fact that the closet is carpeted and i have not seen anything concerning the sterilization of the chamber itself.

Thank you.

1. No not personally , but they are a sponsor here , and many have , and those that rely on us shroomerites for feeding familys will correct any troubles you may run into . Even though never used them , I would trust them just because of being a sponsor . Check around in "vendors forum" .
2.Go with what works for you the best and what is easiest for you to obtain . You will find many variations and different ideas here at the shroomery , that is what makes it such a great place . Many very knowledgable folks here , very willing to help you in a pinch . The diversity is awesome and the mushies love it to .
3.I think someone gave you a link , I am no good at that stuff . Built my own set up with fish tanks , can guide you with that , but never scoped out th PMP myself .
4.Depends on who you live with , and are they the snoopy type ,smell of mushies is minimal , except when contams and rot set in really bad . There are pumps you can buy that are very quite , just be willing to pay a bit more . Keep things as clean as possible , you can try hepa filtration if all that worried , always wash hands prior to handeling any and all forms of mush cult . In most cases depending on enviro , once you have a good colony going they fight off contams themselves , not totally but in general they do this themselves , just like we do . Healthy colony means more likely to survive no matter what you do , do not be to worried about that till you get to that bridge .

Good Luck
Welcome aboard
"May The Mushroom Goddess Bless All Your Endeavors !"
Trip n D

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: noob questions [Re: tripndicular]
    #3438741 - 12/02/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

if you add film canisters with polyfill in them it makes the pump very quiet and filters the air. win win.

and here's the PMP Tek though that post is probably better.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3438752 - 12/02/04 07:03 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Fearthegecko said:
1. Does anyone have any experiences they could share with dealing with The Hawk's Eye?

sometimes Rychehawk gets a little backlogged with orders, and also given the
fact that the hollidays are the mail may run a little slow, I have ordered from
him in the past with a little delay, he does sell quality products and backs
what he sells, I had 2 B+ syringes from him that were freebees, he still replaced them...

Quote:

2. I have read several different versions of the PF tek, and it seems that the major discrepancy is that in one version, the cakes are supposed to be put directly onto perlite in the other the cakes are supposed to be put onto a layer of mesh which is suspended about an inch above the floor of your chamber.

I always placed them on the lids, by placing them directly on the perlite/hydroton,
I've seen more risk of problems like cobweb mold, the mesh is a good idea except
that the bottoms of the cakes will recieve reflected light and may begin to fruit
I recomend any thing except putting them directly onto the perlite or hydroton

Quote:

3. I read about the "Poor man's Pod" the first time i was here. The trouble is that i can't find the page that describes the exact specs for constructing it.

the beauty of the PMP (Poor man's Pod) is that it can be taylored to your needs,
I've made on that was 9"x12" and only 8"deep. it worked but the fruits wanted
to push the lid off, the largest I've made was 24"x36"x18", it worked out much
better but did require a couple extra buble wands and a stronger air pump.

Quote:

the air pumps are pretty quiet, you probably wont hear them if you were in the
same room unless you are specificly listening for it and within about 5 feet,
placing it into a plastic box with some polyfil will reduce the sound to almost
nothing and provide filtration. they do get a little warm but it shouldnt be hot
enough to pose a hazzard. you'll need to test yours to determine if it could
pose a risk.

Carpet is notorious for holding contams, vacuum the floor 5 or 6 times a few
days prior, other than that a plastic runner to line the floor with is a good
option but may be over kill, just try and disturb as little as possible when
entering and vacuum it regularly, if you seal the lid with weather stripping,
you can dectrease the risks even more... contams after birthing are much less
of a problem but as you are aware, they can happen.

other than that, I only recomend mixing 3% hydrogen peroxide with water,
1:10 ratio and use that when you're misting, that should kill anything that
may be lucky enough to get to your cakes.

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
Re: noob questions [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3439375 - 12/02/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

i ordered from THE and received my syringes about 7 business days later. don't worry. if they're not there yet they're coming to you. as for their virility, i can't comment on that yet. i am a noob like yourself--i'm incubating some rye jars as we speak! good luck to you.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

OfflineFearthegecko
Stranger
Re: noob questions [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3448659 - 12/05/04 03:59 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

thanks to everyone for their advice.

I assumed that with THE being a spmonsor that they would be a good vendor to choose. I shopped around a little before selesting them, and between their selection and their sponsorhip, i figured they would be the best. I'm just really anxious to get this project underway.

Where would i be able to get some polyfill? Is that a brand name, or is it a specific substance. I was thinking of cuttng up some pieces of sound board and placing them in the box with the pump, but like it was said before, my main concern is the heat from the pump. I was also worried about the bubbles making noise, but i think if i go with the perlite that it would prevent the bubbles from being too loud.
And if the smeel is minimal, that's even better. I know that pot stinks when it's growing, and i was afraid that the shrooms would be the same way.

As for the hydrogen peroxide, should i put it in with the water in the pod, or just the water for misting? And what exactly would that do?

Invisiblemadsickpenguin
    #3448778 - 12/05/04 04:51 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

You can find polyfill in the arts and crafts section of Wal-Mart. If you are not near a wal-mart. Ask around at local stores. It is the material that you use to stuff pillows with, yes it is a brand by fairfield.

The bubbles make less noise than the actual pump because they are in the PMP.

If you put peroxide in the water in the pod, it will break down pretty quickly. Just use it for misting, it will help kill any contams in the air or anywhere else in your chamber.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation