Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Yeah, I've donefour already...

H2O2 to sterilize soil?
    #3437837 - 12/02/04 04:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, say a I was going to be doing an outdoor grow and after I dug up the plot, I sprayed the soil with a 50/50 3% hydrogen peroxide and distilled water mix? Could this harm the roots of trees? I would be doing this to the bagged manure, but rather to the soil still there after I dig the small whole. Also, if I let hay soak in water over night, should I add a little (3-4 cap fulls) H2O2 to the water?

I do this just because I was reading a thread on here talking about how outdoor beds can get contaminations, but it is not likely. I just want to make sure.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: H2O2 to sterilize soil? [Re: theocean06]
    #3438253 - 12/02/04 05:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Working with H2O2 will not work for spores. H2O2 will kill spores right away. Assuming your working with mycelium, and lots of it, you should be ok with a 50/50 mix, just as long as you don't put the myc in it all spread out. If the myc is in one big chunk, the damage done would be only to the outside myc, as the myc got used to the H2O2, and converted it using enzymes. EVEN if using a 50/50 mix you still may not get rid of ALL the contams, due to some contams having the same ability to make H2O2 useeless. Thats why, if you have contam already, H2O2 won't help alot. The whole point of using H2O2 is to kill SPORES. Not already growing mycelium/bacteria.

However, when trying to grow green bean seedlings, the seedling cube became engulfed in some kinda bacteria/fungi or something. After dunking the whole cube into 3% H2O2 (not diluted) it totaly killed off what ever was growing on the cube. But it also killed the green bean, LOL. Im sure it would kill any and all mycelium also.
So concentration is key here.
I don't know the level of concentration you need to use to do a good amount of damage to whats already growing, while keeping your myc damage. The best thing is to make different concentrations and try each on different patches.

The tree will be perfectly fine, just as long as its bigger than 10 feet. Also depending on HOW large a area you intend to cover.

The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation