Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Cannabis raises risk of psychosis
    #3436981 - 12/02/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

BBC News, UK Edition

Frequent cannabis use during adolescence and young adulthood raises the risk of psychotic symptoms later in life, research suggests.
The risk was much higher in young people who were already genetically vulnerable to developing psychosis.

It is thought cannabis disrupts the balance of the key mood chemical dopamine in the brain.

The research, by Maastricht University, is published by the British Medical Journal.

It focused on 2,437 young people aged 14 to 24 who were monitored for four years.

After adjusting for factors such as social and economic status and use of other drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, the researchers found cannabis use moderately increased the risk of psychotic symptoms.

However, the effect was much stronger in those with a predisposition for psychosis.

And the researchers said their findings did not support the theory that the link was simply down to people with such a predisposition being more likely to use cannabis, rather than cannabis in some way making psychosis more likely.

There was little evidence that people who were genetically vulnerable to psychosis were any more likely to indulge in drug taking, they found.

Warning on use

Lead researcher Professor Jim van Os told the BBC News website that using cannabis was not a good idea for these people.

He said: "If there is a family or personal history of mental frailty - stay away form it!"

Martin Barnes, chief executive of the charity DrugScope, said: "The research underlines that there are potentially serious health risks associated with cannabis use, particularly for young people.

"The challenge is to ensure that messages on cannabis use are understood by teachers and health professionals working with young people and conveyed in ways that young people will listen to.

"Shock tactics alone rarely work, but we need to get across that just because you know people who appear to be OK using cannabis, it doesn't mean that are or that it will be OK for you.

"After reclassification, which DrugScope supports, cannabis remains an illegal drug. Most young people know that cannabis is illegal and harmful, but some may not appreciate what the harms can be."

Dinah Morley, of the charity Young Minds, said the study added to previous work suggesting an association between cannabis and psychosis.

"It gives support to the emerging understanding that a predisposition to psychosis combined with the early abuse of cannabis has an increased likelihood of triggering a psychotic illness.

"Further exploration of why this should happen - in terms of neurological development - will be needed.

"Nevertheless it is time to ensure that this information is in the public domain and, most importantly, available to teachers who are health educators in schools."

Disturbing consequences

Marjorie Wallace, Chief Executive of the mental health charity Sane, said: "Britain's position as the cannabis capital of Europe could have hidden and disturbing consequences.

"We need to make the risks known, clamp down on drug dealing in such places as playgrounds and hospital wards, and change perceptions of cannabis from being a recreational relaxant to a dangerous substance for those who are vulnerable."

Cliff Prior, of the mental health charity Rethink, called for clearer warning about use of the drug.

He said: "Reclassification has sent out a mixed and confusing message.

"There is a strongly-held view that cannabis is risk-free, reflected in the rates of its use among young people.

"Cannabis is not risk free. We have known for years that using cannabis makes the symptoms of schizophrenia far worse in people who already have the illness.

"There is a rapidly growing body of evidence showing that cannabis can trigger schizophrenia in people already at risk - and probably even in people who should only be low risk."

I sure hope that this turns out to be a load of crap. It has to be. Right?

--------------------
Don't panic!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: ticktock]
    #3437012 - 12/02/04 01:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ah who gives a shit, half the drugs they prescribe to people now are probably having worse effects on the human brain than a plant that grows in the ground like pot. I think all of us pot activists should become scientists and then we can study the effects of prescription drugs. If they want to play rough like that then we should fight back!!

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: Glacius]
    #3438504 - 12/02/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ah who gives a shit

I give a shit, Glacius.
Just about zero pot activists qualify to be scientists. Because activists want to stomp a politicakl message into people's heads and are not interested in the truth. And the truth is plain and simple that there is a well-established link between cannabis and psychotic breaks. Most people never truely recover from psychosis:
50% improves but are prone to relapses, 25% recovers and 25% are fucked for life.

Anyone human gives a shit.
Fight back? Fight for the right of schizophrenics to smoke weed?
Fight for supression of highly important medical facts that can save lives?
Fight doctors to keep them from protecting people?
You have no cause. You ought to fight "the man" and not doctors.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Marijuana Use Linked to Psychosis

URL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_21596.html (*this news item will not be available after 12/31/2004)

Reuters Health Information
Wednesday, December 1, 2004

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Young people who smoke marijuana are at increased risk for developing psychosis, new research shows. The risk is particularly high for people who are predisposed to the reality-distorting mental illness, such as those with an affected family member.

"There is a public health message here," senior author Dr. Jim van Os, from Maastricht University in the Netherlands, told a news conference. "While it would be very difficult to expect young people to stop using (marijuana) altogether, they could be made aware of the possible negative consequences of taking the drug if they had a family history of psychosis."

Although a link between marijuana use and psychosis is well established, the direction of the association is unclear. That is to say, while cannabis use may cause psychosis, it is also possible that people predisposed to psychosis are simply more likely to use cannabis -- a theory called the self-medication hypothesis.

"To our knowledge, no (forward-looking) study to date has tested this hypothesis using information on predisposition for psychosis in relation to later" marijuana use, the researchers note.

As reported in the British Medical Journal, the researchers analyzed data from 2437 subjects, between 14 and 24 years, who were followed for 4 years. Standardized personal interviews were performed at the start of the study and at follow-up to assess predisposition to psychosis, marijuana use, and psychotic symptoms.

Marijuana use when the study began raised the risk of psychotic symptoms at follow-up by 67 percent, the researchers point out. As noted, the risk was most pronounced in subjects with a predisposition to psychosis.

In contrast, a predisposition to psychosis did not increase the likelihood of marijuana use at follow-up, which refutes the self-mediation hypothesis, the team says.

Marijuana use "moderately increases the risk of psychotic symptoms in young people but has a much stronger effect in those with evidence of predisposition for psychosis," the researchers conclude.

SOURCE: British Medical Journal, December 1st online issue, 2004.
--------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: Asante]
    #3442237 - 12/03/04 02:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: ivi]
    #3442981 - 12/03/04 06:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thats just some more bullshit its a conspiracy i tell ya the government and the cia get into your BRAINS and then they say that pot is the one thats doing it but i know its the spooks so i wear my tinfoil hat when i toke and they can have my pot when they PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD hands but noooooo the cia wants to put me on ANTIPSYCHOTICS because they say im dangerous but i'm not dangerous i only have dangerous thoughts that i sometimes act out on

i could kill for a joint right now, kill for a joint kill for a joint killforajoint

look at me i somoke pot and i'm not crazy

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3443008 - 12/03/04 06:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i smoke pot and im a certified loon.

--------------------

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3443142 - 12/03/04 07:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Wiccan, percentage wise of people who take marijuana and are permenatly altered by psychosis and mushrooms.

It all boils down to shit that isnt you smoke marijuana im sorry i think its BS. Its all about predistened. Some people just shouldnt smoke herb or eat lsd and i think thier issues would of arised even if they didnt just maybe in different time frame.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: baraka]
    #3443184 - 12/03/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My honest opinion on how true this article is.... that I have none.

I really feel as if there is so much political agenda at work on marijuana that it's impossible to tell how accurate reports like these are. That's a shame because I agree 110% that it's important to know what research has to say - it's just that the research tends to be so covered in bias that it's almost useless and sometimes harmful.

Not to say that the research doesn't have use, but it's hard to make anything of it. The exception to that is if I have enough time or energy to read into the actual details of the report itself and not the press release, but that's hard to do given that there are only so many hours in the day and it usually just ends up frustraiting me. Even then, it's hard to judge.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

#3443651 - 12/03/04 10:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well then people with risk of schizophrenia should not smoke pot. And my statment was more of a joke :grin: Like them saying weed is bad, and us saying its good. I was joking about the war on drugs. I wasnt saying I dont give a shit about people with phycosis.

--------------------
addicted to reason

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: Glacius]
    #3443820 - 12/03/04 11:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was once on a date with this girl, and i spark up a joint, and she takes like two hits, and we sit down in the restaurant, and inside of 5 minutes she's freaking out paranoid and saying i need to go home over and over again...

yah that relationship lasted like 20 minutes

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3443961 - 12/03/04 11:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What can I say...some people should stay away from drugs.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: MOTH]
    #3444432 - 12/04/04 03:17 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Most of you people need to wake up, how do you know if your predisposed to mental illnesses? Honestly, maybe your great aunt was bi polar, or your grandpa had a psycotic episode lasting two weeks.

The people with mental disorders are those most likely to seek out drugs. Nobody should use drugs, but people use them for a reason, to escape whatever problems they are facing. Whether that reason is tangible or hard wired in your head, its there. To say some people just shouldnt do drugs is the same as saying nobody should do drugs, because the risks are almost always unkown.

And to compare all the drugs that doctors hand out to pot is absurd. Many of the drugs out there are to correct serious problems, not to have a 'fun time'. I just wish pot would some sort of hangover, I hate feeling like I can smoke all day and all night for months on end.

Believe it or not, pot does has side effects. Its not some miracle substance that is the answer to everything. If you smoke pot multiple times a week, you have a drug problem :-p.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Cannabis raises risk of psychosis [Re: Redo]
    #3444501 - 12/04/04 03:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Redo said:
To say some people just shouldnt do drugs is the same as saying nobody should do drugs, because the risks are almost always unkown.

Chill out plz. I was high when I wrote that so I didn't articulate further.

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

#3445551 - 12/04/04 01:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think all mental problems can be fixed with the mind alone, even chemical imbalances. I know from first hand expereince. I have been diognosed with ADD,ADHD, and I have had miner phycosis episodes. I learned to meditate and I spend about 6 years studying the mind and meditation, fixing my problems myself, and I havent had a phycosis episode for almost a year now!! Marijuana was a major problem with my phycosis, but now I smoke it and I am ok. Sometimes I still get huge anxiety attacks for smoking and I flip out but then I go for a run or something. Drugs to make you feel better are for weak people. Now I am not saying its BAD, this is just my point of view. I have not taken a pain killing medication in almost 10 years, and I never will again. I would rather die than take perscription medication. When I get sick I dont cry to the doctor I stay at home and get better myself. I think if people are really suffering than its ok but personally id rather die. And not everyone uses drugs for an escape!! I smoke pot cuz its fun and I like to play music when I am hi. If I wanted to escape reality Id kill myself!

--------------------
addicted to reason

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

#3445579 - 12/04/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I admit I smoke pot too much and it is a problem for sure. But so is anything in this world. If you treat something with respect even coke is not that bad but once you start to abuse something in this world then it starts to abuse you. That goes with anything. Food, coffee, people, animals, technology, even nature. Its a very simple thing, just try and treat everything with respect.

--------------------
addicted to reason

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service