Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Sprouting Rye
    #3432963 - 12/01/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hello folks

Since Magash is lurking atm i think its good moment to ask something about sprouting.

Q: When do we consider rye as (more or less) useless due to sprouting?

Is only the most tiny millimeter bitty of sprouting sprouting or do we have to see the rye's root real good? Hmz language barrier but I hope someone can answer this.

When the rye is still intact one can see the "root" already at the inside ready for take-off, is that already bad maybe?

And why is sprouted rye no goof for the spores/mycelium?

Thanks once more......

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSassySkiip
Goddess

Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3434272 - 12/01/04 06:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Do you mean that your rye is germinating?
If so that would not be preferable...

--------------------
S stands for Sizzling...

Scorpio: passion and power

Oh Man,
I could go for some JD tonight!

OfflineTylor
Botanical Ninja
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3434583 - 12/01/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

germinating rye is always bad, take some tweasers and carefully pull out the sprout. If you dont the rye will sap the moisture out of your substrate.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: SassySkiip]
    #3435705 - 12/02/04 12:18 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

LOl serious? :wink:

Ehm and is sprouting the same as germinating? And why is that bad for us mycelium development?

When do we call a rye "a sprouting piece of rye less usefull for us growers? ". I mean is it like when the rye has opened and the rootpin is looking for soil to root in, or is it already when you see IN the rye-kernel that its going to sprout.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: Tylor]
    #3435713 - 12/02/04 12:20 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah but WHEN do we consider rye sprouted? And WHY is sprouting / germinating bad?

Do you know that?

Thanks,

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3435986 - 12/02/04 01:55 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

soaking is overrated, dont soak and you wont have to worry about sprouts

oh, and my guess is that sprouts are bad since they are plant matter subject to decomposition, and will end up getting pretty nasty during colonization.

Edited by fresh313 (12/02/04 01:57 AM)

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: fresh313]
    #3435991 - 12/02/04 02:01 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

to fresh: soaking isn't that overrated. Its germinates the endospores and makes them much easier to kill in the PC.. 12 hours seems to be what most recomend, and when it comes to sterility, its always a good idea to be as caucious as possible.

to friend: if it sprouts and grows in your casing they'll suck up water and nutrients, and thats not preferable.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3436063 - 12/02/04 03:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah but simmer & PC will kill them.

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3436067 - 12/02/04 03:28 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
Yeah but simmer & PC will kill them.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

OfflineTheGreatButtPaca
Happy Gardner

Loc: KY
    #3436068 - 12/02/04 03:32 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Your right.
Any sprout of any kind will die in the PC.
Don't worry too much just try to avoid it!

--------------------
All Hail!!!..................................420!!!

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: TheGreatButtPaca]
    #3436073 - 12/02/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sprouts will die in the pc and turn the substrate to mush.

Soaking is done to let the endo spores germ cause there is no way a pc can come close to doing it since it takes over 400F to kill em.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTheGreatButtPaca
Happy Gardner

Loc: KY
Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: Magash]
    #3436074 - 12/02/04 03:39 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Amen.

The man has spoken.

--------------------
All Hail!!!..................................420!!!

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: TheGreatButtPaca]
    #3436078 - 12/02/04 03:43 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You have to get into temprature ranges that a PC can't reach to kill endospores.

He he he...I tried to not be boaring again but oh well here goes.

The definition of an endospore is an extremely heat-and chemical-resistant, dormant, thick-walled spore that develops within bacteria. Endospores are extraordinarily resistant to environmental stresses including heat, UV radiation, gamma radiation, chemical disinfectants, and desiccation. Endospores can remain viable for thousands of years or longer. An example of this are some endospores that were found on Dominican bees that had been encased in amber for 25 - 40 million years. These dormant structures can be found in several different types of bacteria: Bacillus, Clostridium, and Sporosarcina. I will be trying to isolate Bacillus in my experiment, and after isolation prove that it is indeed an endospore forming bacterium by getting it to transform into its dormant/ spore state.

Bacillus is a gram-positive aerobe that can be found in soil. It appears as straight rods 0.5 - 2.5 x 1.2 - 10 mm, and is chemoorganotrophic, which means that it gets its energy by oxidizing chemical compounds, and organic molecules are its electron source.

Here are some examples of spore forming bacteria out in the world: Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium botulinum (both anaerobes) are food poisoning microorganisms. C. perfringens commonly occurs in meats that have been heated (O2 depletion) and then slowly cooled. As these are ingested the cells sporulate in the intestine, producing an enterotoxin that causes symptoms of nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. C. botulinum is found on potatoes that are not heated sufficiently and cause the production of toxins. Bacillus cereus is another spore forming bacterium that also is found on starchy foods like rice. Its symptoms are similar to those of C. perfringens.

Microorganisms are also used in bioterrorism. One such spore forming bacterium is Bacillus anthracis which results in anthrax. This organism's endospores can survive for decades in animal products and soil. It can enter the body through cuts and abrasions (cutaneous anthrax), or by inhaling endospores (pulmonary anthrax). Symptoms resemble that of the flu, and if it invades the bloodstream the disease can be fatal.

Vancomycin is an antibiotic that is bactericidal for some forms of Bacillus and Clostridium, as well as other microorganisms. It works by binding to the D-alanine-D-alanine sequence so the peptide interbridge cannot be formed. This results in the formation of weak peptidoglycan which eventually leads to the cells lysing because of osmotic differences.

Sporulation is the process by which an active vegetative cell turns into its dormant spore state. This occurs because of a lack of nutrients, or because the cell was exposed to environmental stress. There are several steps to the process which are discussed below:
Formation of nuclear filament within the vegetative cell.
Cell membrane folds inward enclosing part of the DNA and forming the septum.
Continuation of the cell membrane to fold inward and engulf the immature spore.
Spore cortex is formed in the space between the two membranes.
A protein coat is developed around the cortex.
The spore continues to mature within the sporangium (mother cell).
Lysis of sporangium and release of spore.

For a spore to go back to its active vegetative cell state, it goes through a process called germination. Amino acids and sugars are two examples of the nutrients that can trigger germination. This involves the spore swelling, either the absorption or rupture of the spore coat, loss of heat/chemical resistance, the release of spore components, and increased metabolic activity. The third stage, outgrowth, follows germination. This involves the synthesis of new components, and emergence from the spore coat ready to develop into an active bacterium.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3436090 - 12/02/04 04:08 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"For a spore to go back to its active vegetative cell state, it goes through a process called germination. Amino acids and sugars are two examples of the nutrients that can trigger germination."

Is water a nutrient that triggers germination?

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3436091 - 12/02/04 04:10 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah fresh so I still wonder why sprouting is bad and at which state of sprouting it becomes bad....

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3437342 - 12/02/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Some sprouts can be used..once sprouted they start converting sugars to starches..I think this is it. Someone told me once what the process is..IIRC thats why though..myc needs the sugars and starches will mush and clump. Minor sprouts are fine...I've used rye starting to sprout..If it goes more then a day after sprouting though its probably converted to many sugars to starches.

Seeds store food for the baby plant until it can get it from the soil...this happens pretty quickly so I believe germination takes away alot of the nutrious part of the rye and transforms it into energy it can use which myc cant use.

Water is not a nutrient..though most water contains some sort of nutes which is why things can germinate on it. But sterile distilled water wont germinate anything.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3437658 - 12/02/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Water alone isn't. Many kinds of bacteria travel in water. When they land or come up against something that has the nutrients they are looking for that in combination cause the bacteria or any contam for that matter to germ.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Sprouting Rye [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3437662 - 12/02/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks all, I think I have some more view on the subject, sprout causing mush when PC-d also Scatmans experience is usefull here. Since my Rye was about to sprout, one can see that when the points of the rye start forming "mini roots", I had some worries.

Besides the worries I am always a person who wants to understand things. Sprouting is bad, WHY is that so, is what I think then.
Ok I think I will be fine!

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3440777 - 12/03/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Water alone isn't. Many kinds of bacteria travel in water. When they land or come up against something that has the nutrients they are looking for that in combination cause the bacteria or any contam for that matter to germ.

What im trying to prove is that soaking grains isnt a useful procedure since there arent nutrients in water to provide the necessary environment for an endospore to germinate.

That simmering and PC'ing is all that is necessary to prepare and sterilize grains effectively.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3440909 - 12/03/04 02:11 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have added 2 cups of compost tea or dung tea to every WBS room temp soak I have ever done (5 X 5 gallon buckets at a pop). That provides the nutes endospores need to germinate, plus adds significant N to WBS content.

Commercial growers don't simmer, they soak. What's that tell you?

:tongue2: :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract