Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased.
    #3421310 - 11/28/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just to let you all know, I had about the same yeilds on the first flush of two cases. One used 1 qt corn, the other used 4 brf cakes. I used the same casing tray, and same casing mixture, but different substrates. I wanted to see which would have better results because I always wanted to know and I always had heard pop-corn wasn't all that great with yeilds. This was the first flush, so I'll have to see what happens later. I'll keep you posted if there's an interest. Later--Chinaboy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased. [Re: ChinaBoy]
    #3421354 - 11/28/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Now, how about colonization times on popcorn vs brf :smile:

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Re: Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased. [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3435504 - 12/01/04 11:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I forget exactly, but the corn did go faster than the brf.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased. [Re: ChinaBoy]
    #3435726 - 12/02/04 12:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i am interested Chinaboy you can also Pm me about this!

Good luck! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased. [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3435785 - 12/02/04 12:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

When AFOAF expiramented with cased corn his results depended greatly on the strain. Some seemed to do ok on corn alone (ie B+), others did so poorly it wasn't even worth it (ie cambo).

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased. [Re: Tantalus]
    #3436785 - 12/02/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

From my own personal experience I would like to say that rye is much better than popcorn with respect to colonization speeds. I had heard the opposite but that is not the case on any of my popcorn and rye jars. Every single rye jar is doing much better than every one of the popcorn jars.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased. [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3437148 - 12/02/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have heard that Rye also does better for flushes then corn or WBS. I have yet to try any grains other then rye but I have no reason to complain.

Whole grains are different then BRF so if there were no differences in the way you treated them, thats why the yeild was not more. Grains and bulk arent magical things that make lots of big shrooms..they just have more potential. Thin whole grain substrate casings=poor yeild.

Now a REAL experiment would have been doing 4 jars of BRF and 4 whole grain jars. Takes the same amount of spores, same amount of jars..same colonization time if not less then 4 1/2 pints of BRF. Now make 2 casings using 2 quarts in each giving you a nice 2 inches of substrate and a nice 3/4" casing layer on top.

Even if your pressure cooker holds 2 quarts at a time making it easier to do 4 BRF jars then 4 quarts of grain you could still do 2 quarts of grain put into the same casing which would take up the same fruiting space and still be easier to do then BRF (2 holes instead of 8, no mixing of ingredients ect) and give you nice thick casing which with a nice casing layer can provide you with many flushes of maybe the same amount of shrooms, but bigger ones and definatly more flushes. Rye lasts more flushes then BRF too..I would imagine that holds true for the olther whole grains as well but thats just speculation.

While grains arent for everybody. There are reasons each method can have its benifits..same with bulk..doesnt mean you can reap the benifits. Or maybe my post has helped. Maybe not. Good luck either way.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (12/02/04 11:52 AM)

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Yeilds on Corn and BRF cased. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3437217 - 12/02/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I'm making a serious effort to go bulk and see all of the benefits that make it worth going the extra bit for. Perhaps you could give me a bit of critique then for my plans.

I have 24 QT jars of grain incubating right now. The first batch was 6 popcorn, 6 rye noc'd with spores. The second 12 was all rye noc'd 4 days later with honey. They are all on even pace (cept the popcorn is a wee bit behind), and about 50% colonized, no contams.

I don't have the exact calculations on hand, but I figured that I'd need 18 QT to maintain a 25% spawn to bulk ratio across my square footage 6" deep. I'm hoping to get that out of my 24 QT jars.

I'm looking to do 2 parts straw, 4 parts poo, 1 part verm for my bulk mix, again, at 6". I'm casing at a full 2" 50/50+, cause I'ma try and pull it through 3 flushes. I'm casing them straight to the bottom of 2 x 30 gal tubs. I'll patch once or twice then I'm going to cold shock em in my bathtub. I really wanna see how even I can get the pinset, seems like a nice lil art in itself.

I'm gonna have the 2 tubs ran by a single cool mist and single ultra sonic on a timer. I'll still mist my casing with H2O2 cause I hear it's hard to pull many flushes outta bulk.

Does this sound like I am reaping the benefits? What else should I be lookin to do?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate