Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Dessicant, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejonas

Walmart martha-style closet organizer...
    #3435127 - 12/01/04 11:37 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Has anyone used this before?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.g...A90828%3A134993

It looks like it'd work just as good as a martha and provide more space. All I'd wanna do to modify it is to install some wire shelves. I'm not sure if the bottom is attached to the frame or not but a little duct tape can take care of that nicely.

This thing would work great to grow bulk. 60"L x 19.5"W x 64"H would provide a lot of room for growing mushrooms. I figure you could have like 5 "floors" of mushrooms growing. Have 2 30"Lx18"W casings with a depth of 5" using straw/poo would crank out ALOT of mushrooms using this method. That'd be like ... 37.5 square feet of substrate surface area. I'd have to guess that theres about 5 lbs worth of mushrooms there after a good 2-4 week flushing period.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Walmart martha-style closet organizer... [Re: jonas]
    #3435158 - 12/01/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

seems like it would work fine to me...

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3435161 - 12/01/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

it works great, i had one but actually sold it becuase it was to big to fit in my closet, but i bought another of the same kind and just cut down the side bars making it short enough to fit in my closet, but if your walmart has white and black ones get the white one, it has a whit top that allows light in unlike the black onw with the black top and bottom and yes the bottom has to be swaped out, they have cardboard bottoms.

Offlinejonas

Re: Walmart martha-style closet organizer... [Re: KyKid]
    #3435178 - 12/01/04 11:48 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Oh really? It says it has a plastic bottom, maybe it was a slightly different model? I wanted to ask a question of comparison between using rubbermaids and using a thing like this ... I was told to expect about 3 lbs dry from 6 30 gallon rubbermaids with a 5" layer of straw/manure, just wanted to know which you think would yield more and proportionately how much would u guesstimate (ie. twice as much, ten times as much, half as much ... not expecting on the dot estimates but if u got a rough idea feel free to make an estimate)?

Offlinejonas

#3435366 - 12/02/04 12:44 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Nobody? Aight ... I got another question anyway ... is it a bad idea to keep all the bulk casings in the pseudo-martha, or will the casings be pretty contam resistent, like if one gets contammed, the others should be able to fight it off? Idk.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3435446 - 12/02/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

on the yeild part, there is to many different factors involved to make any guesses , i mean theres your substrate, substrate depth, your expirence, the setups ability to stay at optimal conditions, keeping contams at a low. it all just depends on you and your effort, both tubs and these green house setups can crank out some large yeilds its just all up to you to make do it. also on the contam thing, it is an open enviorment and you do need to watch for contams and isolate the contamed casing as soon as possible and keep h202 in your sprayer and in the ultra sonic and cool mist youll have running and just try to keep everything entering the martha sterile and there should be no problems. yeah probaly different model, heres a pic of my mini martha before it got fitted with shelfs and casings.

Offlinejonas

#3435471 - 12/02/04 01:16 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Yeah, thats chill man. I can't wait to try this out and see how it works. I wanna hit the 5lb mark, I don't see much of a point in growing something illegal like shrooms unless you're gonna go for the gusto. I figure if I achieve that I can halt growing till next year. Paul Stamets claims you can get 2-4lbs per sq foot using poo/straw but that seems rediculously high, hes talking about optimal conditions. So when you consider my substrate depth is 5" and roughly 37 sq. feet, if conditions were OPTIMAL I should get at least 70 lbs, but thats FAAAAAAAAR from what I anticipate getting. Meh, whatever, any shrooms I can yield are a victory as far as I'm concerned.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3435518 - 12/02/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

yeah i always seem to worry about my yeild increase but once the harvest comes in only worried about how my babies are doing and not how much they wiegh. and yeah that sounds like high hopes i wouldnt try to shoot for those results with it. but these chambers can pump out some good yeilds even for a novice like me. in my first martha i fit 24 casings and got average of 17-20 grams dry off each casing of 2.5 brf cakes each. it turned out for a good yeild after all the casings finished flushing, i got a total dry yeild of 623 grams, i know its not what your shooting for but belive me, i was so happy i invested the money for a larger fruiting chamber i almost cried at the reults, i got my mini martha full of casings at the moment and im waiting for em all to finish flushing so i can dry em all and total it up, ive only got 16 casings in it. its only 36in wide by 32in tall.

Offlinejonas

#3435525 - 12/02/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Yeah, that sounds pretty decent. But consider if you had used 30"x18" casings of poo/straw about 5" deep. That'd blow your 2.5 cakes outta the water. You should try it next time man, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised :smile:

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #3435655 - 12/02/04 02:03 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

There is also a 60" martha. Check kmart.com for exact measurements.

3-4 lbs sounds about right, but any guess is going to be pretty wild with so many factors. You'll definitely want a good hepa if you don't already have one. Catching any contam super quick will be key.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3435656 - 12/02/04 02:03 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

what would you possibly do with pounds of psilocybe mushrooms? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinejonas

Re: Walmart martha-style closet organizer... [Re: derx]
    #3435693 - 12/02/04 02:15 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

What else but share them with a lot of people over the next year? I just don't want to have to grow consistently, I want to get my crop and shut down for a while. And as far as the HEPA goes, would tyvek work well enough or what? And also, if I was running an ultrasonic and a coolmist, how would I have them set up in conjunction with the filters? Would I just be able to have a tube feed the martha from the humidifiers and have the filters installed on the sides of the martha? Like what I'm thinking about is cutting a circle out of a side of the martha near the top and replacing the cut plastic with tyvek (or a hepa if tyvek is unsuitable) and just having a tube running from the humidifers to the tyvek covered hole. Does that sound right or what?

Offlineschorts
a lot more and alittle less.

Loc: (roughly) portland, OR
    #3435749 - 12/02/04 02:28 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

All those estimates are in WET weight... so change that 70 LBS to 6-7 lbs.

anyway, do you have any idea how much effort it takes to harvest and dry that many shrooms?? My last batch, Koh Samui, (a fairly small fruit size) had me picking morning and evening for a totaly of a ~2.5 Oz harvest. I could be picking shrooms all day long with those kinds of numbers.

Granted, I had to clean F%^%#ing dry vermiculite off the stalks of each one, but thats because i'm meticulous. =)

Offlinejonas

Re: Walmart martha-style closet organizer... [Re: schorts]
    #3435784 - 12/02/04 02:35 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Ah, that makes more sense, that really didn't even occur to me that it was wet weight, although it seems so obvious now, haha. But yeah, I'm really not all that particular about it, with 6-7 lbs worth of shrooms, they don't need to be perfect, haha. But yeah, I'm willing to do it, honestly it can't take ALL that long. Maybe an hour or so everytime they flush. And I got a bulk drying chamber I'm gonna build, basically its got an intake and exhaust computer fan, each on opposite ends of the rubbermaid. Then I'll just stack those wire dishracks with legs a couple inches long. So I'll be able to have about 10 layers or so of shrooms drying at a time.

EDIT: I'm also debating about maybe just having a small fan inside a closed rubbermaid and having desiccant at the bottom, I'm not sure which would give better results. For whatever reason I'm inclined to believe the original thought would work better but idk ... what do you guys think?

Edited by jonas (12/02/04 02:40 AM)

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
    #3436769 - 12/02/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

It's all about surface area. The more shelves that you can put in that closet and the greatest maximization of the shelf square footage the more shrooms you'll get.

Magash had a post once that he did a 2" bulk grow and got incredible results. Maybe you would consider doing a more shallow substrate layer and do more shelves. You could get tons of shrooms if you did it like that.

Edited by spliffmasta (12/02/04 12:24 PM)

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Re: Walmart martha-style closet organizer... [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3438891 - 12/02/04 07:31 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

A friend of mine has about 55 pints of rye that are fully colonized, he also has a standard Martha, not a mini one - the kind that magash has. He is clueless as to what kind of yields he'll get, and how many casings he will be able to make if he is planning on casing them about 1.5-2 inches thick. Does anyone know the answers to his questions? He's never used grain or had a Martha before.

--------------------
Don't grow mushrooms if it is illegal where you live.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: Walmart martha-style closet organizer... [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3438915 - 12/02/04 07:36 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

well being his first time casing grains he probaly wont do his best but it will deff make for a good sized yeild. no one can estimate something like that, there are to many variables but if done right your in for some fun.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Dessicant, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation