Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline99teggsr
Stranger
Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow
    #3434955 - 12/01/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This will be my first grow and I bought 2 of these for the stealthyness of them.

I am using the PFtek method with 1/2 pint canning jars.
im concerned that 7" high wont be enough height for for shrroms on top of the cake. what do you think ?? should I take these back and get something bigger ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: 99teggsr]
    #3434987 - 12/01/04 09:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry to stray from you question, as I don't know the answer...but where did you buy that, roughly how much did it run you...and are those plugs at the bottom? Looks handy for air exchange...

If you have the room, you might want to get them a bit larger...that would be my guess. If anything else just for the added working space. The question in my mind is why not?

Peace
ADoobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
    #3434992 - 12/01/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, I'm pretty sure that won't be high enough for cakes. You could try a casing, that might work. Otherwise I think you'll have to get something a bit taller. I think the shrooms need a good 4-5" themselves.

Offlinejonas

Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3435013 - 12/01/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well I suppose it depends on what you're using for a substrate. You say you're using half pint cakes? Well is the 7" from the cake to the cover of the tub or is it the total depth of the tub? Keep in mind that just because a mushroom hits the top of the terrarium doesn't mean its going to stop growing/die/explode or anything crazy, it'll just not grow straight up. You should be fine with that. Exactly how deep is that tub? It'd be nice for my bulk grow I'm planning. It really only needs to be about a foot tall for me, 5" for the straw/poo, 1" for casing layer, and 6" for shrooms to grow. That'd be oh so ideal.

Offline99teggsr
Stranger
Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: ADoobie]
    #3435023 - 12/01/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ADoobie said:
Sorry to stray from you question, as I don't know the answer...but where did you buy that, roughly how much did it run you...and are those plugs at the bottom? Looks handy for air exchange...

If you have the room, you might want to get them a bit larger...that would be my guess. If anything else just for the added working space. The question in my mind is why not?

Peace
ADoobie

They are wheels on the bottom so they can slide from underneathe the bed. Since this is my first time I am goin with pf tek, but casing seems to be where its at.

OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: ADoobie]
    #3435028 - 12/01/04 09:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

My chamber is 6 1/2 inches and its fine. It's less than that with the layer of perlite. Sometimes the shrooms touch the top of it, but it doesn't hurt them.

--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

Offlinejonas

Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: jonas]
    #3435036 - 12/01/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

And oh yah, I think I know where he got those ... Linens and Things maybe? haha. I work there and its the only place I've ever seen them. Working at Linens and Things is bomb for growing mushrooms. I snagged a digital thermometer from there, I'm gonna sneak out a humidifier, and I get a 25% discount on anything I can't sneak out, haha. They don't really care in there, so gettin free stuff is easy if you work there. Maybe not right but I only take what I can't affoard, in a tight financial spot at the moment. Ah well ...

Offline99teggsr
Stranger
    #3435048 - 12/01/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

got it at wal-mart. so i guess im going to keep thiese and give it a shot.

jonas- 7 inches to the top of the lid. even less with the cake.

noodlesalad - is that 7 inches total, or 7" from the top of the cake to the lid ??

Offlinejonas

#3435088 - 12/01/04 09:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Do it up bro ... you'll be fine, you'll just have bent shrooms. If anyone knows of any good bins that are like say 2'x3' or roughly those dimensions, something decent sized, and about a foot tall, drop me a line. I really could use something like that.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3435089 - 12/01/04 09:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm. Def. not tall enough if you're growing mushrooms with tall stems and cakes would be really hard unless you like sliced them up. A casing would work but they'd probably touch the top when they're viels would be nearing coming off, so u'd probably have to jus take them off early, it'd be hard to keep the humidity right with the top off lol, but it can be done with a thin substrate and a thin casing. Doesn't have to exactly be thin thin, i just wouldnt go for a 2in sub. and a 1in casing layer, you'd only have like 4 inches for the mushrooms to grow...i'd probably go with about a 1 1/2 inch substrate and about a 1/2 inch to an inch layer of casing but it's all up to you and what you think. Gl, i hope it works out or you find a better place to cultivate, it's never a good idea to have to grow in the dark if ya know what i mean( what a gay pun lol) Gl man and stay safe,
later

OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3435109 - 12/01/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

7" total. Your cakes will be fine. Mine are 300ml cakes, which is bigger than 1/2 pint so they have less room. Most of the big ones come off the bottom and have to bend upwards so those normally don't reach. When they get to the top they are normally close to done, but all it does is bend them, not hurt them.

--------------------
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.

Offline99teggsr
Stranger
Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3435110 - 12/01/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i think im going to take these back tonight and get something bigger. underbed grow idea is being trashed. Im going to get bigger things for the closet and switch the incandescent light in tthe closet to a flouro so they think they are getting some real light.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3435117 - 12/01/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm just curious...how are you going to introduce light w/o a clear top? You got something up your sleeve or something?

Offline99teggsr
Stranger
    #3435123 - 12/01/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

what about light, is it a big issue ?? how many hours do they need a day ?? i guess i could rig up a small floro under the bed

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3435131 - 12/01/04 09:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds good 99, def. a good idea, more space and less worry? Gl and keep it safe, later man

Offline99teggsr
Stranger
    #3435132 - 12/01/04 09:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

they have clear sides, do they need light from above ?? the solid top might help cause they will grow towards the light, which would be to the sides so that might help my small terrium problem

Offlinejonas

#3435139 - 12/01/04 09:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You could always just install a small fluoro under the lid.

OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

#3435148 - 12/01/04 09:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Your right about them growing towards the light so they won't grow up as much, but they will grow funky (not in a bad way) since light will be coming from all directions.

--------------------
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.

Offlinejonas

#3435149 - 12/01/04 09:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You might wanna put like black construction paper/black spraypaint/black electrical tape or something around the sides to keep the only light coming from the top of the terrarium. That'll help keep the pinset even and shrooms growing straight up.

OfflineRazorFire
Stranger

#3435196 - 12/01/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Just wanted to further add that they have those exact tubs at the Wal Mart here as well.
RazorFire

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: RazorFire]
    #3435224 - 12/01/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah you could always let them grow towards the sides but it'd make ur pinset uneven and you wouldn't get as many if light was coming from the top. You could put a light on top of the lid if room allowed it but i'm doubting that b/c ur already so crammed for space, gl

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3435262 - 12/01/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

99teggsr said:
i think im going to take these back tonight and get something bigger. underbed grow idea is being trashed. Im going to get bigger things for the closet and switch the incandescent light in tthe closet to a flouro so they think they are getting some real light.

I think you'd be better off all the way around to do this. You could build a pmp for you your closet and like Jonas said attach a flouro to the underside of your lid. You could hook it up to a $5 timer from wal-mart and not have to fool with it much at all. Then you could have cakes  and a few small casings, not to mention you could have a 3-5" substrate and grow some 8" shrooms in your new taller tub, plus you'd have more room to work in. Yeah, do that. :thumbup:

Edited by atomic1 (12/01/04 10:08 PM)

Offline99teggsr
Stranger
Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: atomic1]
    #3435290 - 12/01/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

im on my way now to get different terriums.. to shift the subject a little I hear so much good stuff about casing. if/when I want to switch from cakes to casing what will i need, and what will goto waste ?? will i still use the canning jars ?

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3436007 - 12/02/04 02:16 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

All you will need is a grain of your choice; rye,wbs, & popcorn being the most popular.  A pc if you don't have one. Some casing material like jiffy mix(50peat/50verm.),60coir/40verm., whatever you like..just check out the casing sections here. You'll still use the jars but you could also get a few of those gladware/ziploc storage containers like in magash's tek: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2955350/page//fpart/1/vc/1
They cut out the step of the jars. Thats about it. I think. :goodluck:

Edited by atomic1 (12/02/04 02:19 AM)

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Will this terrium be big enought ?? stealth underbed grow [Re: atomic1]
    #3436747 - 12/02/04 10:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, in the future you're going to be better off casing grains or a bulk, but you can case your BRF cakes too.

Also, I have these little stilts, they are about 7-8" high that the wheels of my bed frame sit on to add additional storage space under my bed, giving me about 13-14" of space under my bed. Have a look into these, they could make an underbed grow very feasible and easy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix