Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
cultivating cyanescens outdoors
    #3434281 - 12/01/04 08:42 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

Anyone out there familiar with cultivating cyanescens outdoors? I live in the PNW and they grow all over the place so it can't be that tough, right?
I have read many procedures which usually involve colonizing cardboard, but I've got a wild hair up my ass, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback. Here it goes:

- :mushroom2: - I plan to buy one or two cubic yards of alder woodchips.
- :mushroom2: - Then retrieve some colonized woodchips from one of the many wild patches I have found.
:mushroom2: - Next, dig a shallow deppression in my yard (5-6inches) and fill with a mixture of the fresh and colonized woodchips.
- :mushroom2: - Finally, plant some grasses, or small bushes (probably next spring) to help preserve moisture.

There you have it! I do have a few concerns though. I am along the washington coast (close to Canada) and I am curious if the mycelium will survive the winter temps. Would I be better off to keep the wood chips inside to colonize and wait to put them out untill spring??? Also, I don't particularly like the idea of raping a patch of all it's mycellium, how much would be required?

Thanks for any feedback!

--------------------
" learning how to cook will save you money, usually make you healthier, and occasionally get you laid. "
-Shags420

"Most of the people who ask the question 'Do any psilocybin mushrooms grow around here?' would rather change their way of looking at reality rather than face the difficult and discouraging task of transforming reality itself"
-David Aurora, Mushrooms Demystified

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShroomerJon
wild weiliihunter
 User Gallery

Re: cultivating cyanescens outdoors [Re: didjin_d]
    #3434643 - 12/01/04 10:03 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

It sounds like a very good idea. I tried a similar method of that but for psylocibe weilii. I tore up the red clay soil in my backyard (and it is all under pine trees with scattered pinestraw). I planted a couple of red clay chunks that were loaded with mycelium there at the beginning of weilii season and by luck, I guess, I found one weilii growing just this past saturday morning. It was a beauty. I had forgotten all about planting the red clay chunks. If they really can reproduce that quick then hopefully next season around april ill have hundreds growing in my backyard.HAHA!! If it worked with weilii it'll work with cyans. All you are doing is creating a more helpful "environment" for the mushroom and on top of that you live in their actual habitat! Good luck with the grow bro. Next season should be good for you.
Peace,
Jon

--------------------
Live life to the fullest.

OfflineMycoChode
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: cultivating cyanescens outdoors [Re: ShroomerJon]
    #3435405 - 12/02/04 01:01 AM (13 years, 17 days ago)

There is a good tek on it. Woodlovers tek maybe? Basicaly it says to let the mycelum grow in some large containers indoors for the winter. Then spawn it outdorrs in the spring. I have been thinking of doing the same thing....just need to find some spores since I never found anything growing around here. I know they are right under my nose but just haven't really looked.

Invisibleandjor
Stranger
Loc: Here
Re: cultivating cyanescens outdoors [Re: MycoChode]
    #3435746 - 12/02/04 02:27 AM (13 years, 17 days ago)

I think if you prepared a nice bed, your best bet is to do what you are saying, which is to bring in and use mycelium from one of your existing patches. It's already established in the soil and for the area you are in, why compete against mother nature.

Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: cultivating cyanescens outdoors [Re: andjor]
    #3438989 - 12/02/04 07:50 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

The damndest thing! I spent an hour this morning calling all the garden centers, nursuries and landscape suppliers around bellingham trying to find some alder woodchips. NONE! Nobody had any. WTF? I figured it would be relatively easy to get the chips, but no. Does there happen to be anyone near bellingham who has a woodchipper they would be able to let me use :confused: (I promise I won't ferget ya next fall :mushroom2: :stoned: :mushroom2:)

--------------------
" learning how to cook will save you money, usually make you healthier, and occasionally get you laid. "
-Shags420

"Most of the people who ask the question 'Do any psilocybin mushrooms grow around here?' would rather change their way of looking at reality rather than face the difficult and discouraging task of transforming reality itself"
-David Aurora, Mushrooms Demystified

Offlinetheshyshroom
Largest ShroomEver
Loc: Boring, WA
    #3462512 - 12/08/04 01:26 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Sounds Like you will have a great time next fall if everything works out for you. I have been wanting to grow cyans also since I live in Bellingham too. I could grow them at my dads house where he has four acres with three of those acres are woods. If you find out how much a woodchiper cost and its revitivly cheap I will go half with you lol. Let me know the places you called and I'll find some more places to call maybe theres some up in ferndale or blaine that have alder chips. You always hear people saying to go look around businesses for cyans becuase they have alderchips. So there has to be a place around here somewhere. Good luck. later

--------------------
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger or... More Stupid.

OfflineTonyMontana
Montana RealtyCompany

#3463122 - 12/08/04 05:02 AM (13 years, 10 days ago)

They sell bags of alder chips up here at Walmart in Canada for smoking stuff on the BBQ, eh?
But if you buy the amount you want that way it would cost you a lot; probably around 50 bucks. My friend started with a couple bags which he is going to colonize indoors. Then, he is going to experiment with spawning them to other more readily available wood chips.

--------------------
"GULF COAST TEXAS SYRINGE! EVERYTHING IS BIG IN TEXAS! Dear Keeper, I send you these pictures and spores so you may pass on this wonderful strain to the world! My cat accidentally ate a spore print and washed it down with 'Keepers Brew' when I wasn't looking. He took a 'DUMP' in your Kit A and before I new what had happened I found these monsters! WHAT THE HELL IS IN THAT BREW!?!? $35.00 + S/H " - SporeTradingPost's 'Keeper': douchebag of the century! [a not so cleverly fabricated testimonial for his website that is only effective in making even his pretend customers look like morons]

OfflinefindingSHROOMZ
retired potsmoker
Loc: tacoma,Wa
Re: cultivating cyanescens outdoors [Re: TonyMontana]
    #3463162 - 12/08/04 05:26 AM (13 years, 10 days ago)

u should just go to parks and get some woodchips bring it home and boiled them in water to kill any bacteria

--------------------
1st time i smoke weed..i was like ...i should be high all the time...but after i tried shrooms...i was like Fuck weed..let's do some shrooms nigga

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: cultivating cyanescens outdoors [Re: findingSHROOMZ]
    #3463213 - 12/08/04 05:59 AM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

findingSHROOMZ said:
u should just go to parks and get some woodchips bring it home and boiled them in water to kill any bacteria

that would be stealing and is very stupid when bags only cost a few bucks.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3463218 - 12/08/04 06:03 AM (13 years, 10 days ago)

OfflineTonyMontana
Montana RealtyCompany

Re: cultivating cyanescens outdoors [Re: Anno]
    #3470667 - 12/09/04 03:18 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
Check www.fungifun.org/azurescens

Best wood-lover link ever.

--------------------
"GULF COAST TEXAS SYRINGE! EVERYTHING IS BIG IN TEXAS! Dear Keeper, I send you these pictures and spores so you may pass on this wonderful strain to the world! My cat accidentally ate a spore print and washed it down with 'Keepers Brew' when I wasn't looking. He took a 'DUMP' in your Kit A and before I new what had happened I found these monsters! WHAT THE HELL IS IN THAT BREW!?!? $35.00 + S/H " - SporeTradingPost's 'Keeper': douchebag of the century! [a not so cleverly fabricated testimonial for his website that is only effective in making even his pretend customers look like morons]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation