Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
3rd party?
    #3433529 - 12/01/04 05:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It seems like the Democrats and Republicans do nothing for the average every day joe and below (which is the vast majority of the population) but still, these people vote to put them in office. what's up with that? i was driving around in an economically depressed area before the election and noticed Bush/Cheney bumper stickers on beater cars and sings on dying lawns in front of houses with chipped paint and broken window frames. What the hell is wrong with people?

Why can't the average people form a party that caters to them and elect somebody who will truly help into office?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: 3rd party? [Re: TODAY]
    #3433553 - 12/01/04 05:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
Why can't the average people form a party that caters to them and elect somebody who will truly help into office?

'Average people' are not a uniform group. Many average people fed up with the two major parties have joined third parties such as the Libertarian Party, the Green Party, the Constitution Party, etc., while others choose to voice their malcontent by abstaining from voting. What are your politics?

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: 3rd party? [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3433593 - 12/01/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

well, they are in developement as i have just recently become legal and started opening my eyes to politics. i am certainly for democracy, but a more social democracy than what is current. i do not like anything having to do with conservatism, republicanism, or religious-driven politics.

i am registered as green because i will not endorse the two major political parties as they currently operate. i am for environmental and social issues.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3433614 - 12/01/04 06:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
well, they are in developement as i have just recently become legal and started opening my eyes to politics. i am certainly for democracy, but a more social democracy than what is current. i do not like anything having to do with conservatism, republicanism, or religious-driven politics.

i am registered as green because i will not endorse the two major political parties as they currently operate. i am for environmental and social issues.

While I disagree with the stances of the GP vehemently, your politics do sound very green -- is there something you find dissatisfying about them that led you to make this thread?

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3433622 - 12/01/04 06:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like you chose the right party for you. I'm registered Libertarian because I like government to stay out of my life as much as possible. I think that the reason so many people won't vote for a third party is because the winner-take-all voting system we have now mandates a two-party system.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: 3rd party? [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3433648 - 12/01/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

you mean do i feel dissatisfied with the green party?

i can't say that i specifically am, i'm just wondering why people who are poor and would not be suited by Republican or the current Democratic politics vote for them. i'd like people who would like to see something better come from politics join up and create a party with enough draw to defeat our current system. it would be a large undertaking and probably impossible because this party would need stand for too wide of an agenda.

i'll just say that i'm not content aligning with a party that isn't even aloud on the ballot in every state. i'm not content with my mouth being smothered every time i try to speak (through my party).

i just wish people would open their eyes and envision a country and even a world that truly works for and cares for the common goal of comfortable and happy living.

no war, fair taxes to help the poor, no racism, no religious governments, pollution kept to a minimum, there are too many things to change but none will be changed until the greedy fucks in the whitehouse are ousted.

is a people's revolution feasible?

sorry, i'm a bit scatterbrained when it comes to this.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3433680 - 12/01/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

you mean do i feel dissatisfied with the green party?

i can't say that i specifically am, i'm just wondering why people who are poor and would not be suited by Republican or the current Democratic politics vote for them. i'd like people who would like to see something better come from politics join up and create a party with enough draw to defeat our current system. it would be a large undertaking and probably impossible because this party would need stand for too wide of an agenda.

Urban poor people tend to vote Democratic because they mistake handouts for progress. Rural poor people tend to vote Republican because of their socially conservative tendencies.

Quote:

i just wish people would open their eyes and envision a country and even a world that truly works for and cares for the common goal of comfortable and happy living.

That means different things for different people, as they all have their own personal agenda. I assure you that wealthy CEOs are living quite comfortable and happy right now, and see no need for change.

Quote:

no war, fair taxes to help the poor, no racism, no religious governments, pollution kept to a minimum, there are too many things to change but none will be changed until the greedy fucks in the whitehouse are ousted.

War is sometimes necessary, and different people disagree on just how necessary it is. You and I would probably disagree on what exactly constitutes "fair taxes" and how they should be used to help the poor. Good luck trying to eradicate racism, and good luck trying to convince one of the most religious industrialized countries in the world not to elect a Christian. Pollution is something you can help stop yourself by producing less of it.

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: 3rd party? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3433697 - 12/01/04 06:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

That means different things for different people, as they all have their own personal agenda. I assure you that wealthy CEOs are living quite comfortable and happy right now, and see no need for change.

that's true, i know that my happy world is differnt than other's. but i do know that my happy world is a world where neighbors are at least kind to eachother. are people in such disagreement on that one little kindness to everybody thing?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3433706 - 12/01/04 06:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

that's true, i know that my happy world is differnt than other's. but i do know that my happy world is a world where neighbors are at least kind to eachother. are people in such disagreement on that one little kindness to everybody thing?

I certainly would like to see that too, but what does that have to do with government? Do you think we should be legislating kindness?

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3433713 - 12/01/04 06:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I think the Green Party's getting there.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3434853 - 12/01/04 10:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I think that the reason so many people won't vote for a third party is because the winner-take-all voting system we have now mandates a two-party system.

yup and it pisses me off.  but its what the people want :frown:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #3435269 - 12/02/04 12:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I did not read all the comments so I am sorry if this has been stated.

It seems to me that the reason for this is the American Dream. The two major parties use that as their ploy to get the lower class votes. Republicans make you think that you too can become rich and wealthy. They make you feel that if they are elected you have more of a chance to succeed. The Democrats make you think that the rich (minority of the country) will walk all over you. They then make you feel as if they can protect you from that. So, in a sense the middle - lower class in society are strictly numbers, neither major party gives a crap and until these people can see through that, the third parties will struggle.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: 3rd party? [Re: AaronEvil]
    #3435322 - 12/02/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

In order to defeat the two party system a viable third party would have to appeal to appeal to a large cross section of people.

I think that party is the prolife green party.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

#3435360 - 12/02/04 12:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:

that's true, i know that my happy world is differnt than other's.  but i do know that my happy world is a world where neighbors are at least kind to eachother.  are people in such disagreement on that one little kindness to everybody thing?

I certainly would like to see that too, but what does that have to do with government?  Do you think we should be legislating kindness?

i think kindness leads to kind legislation  :ooo:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: 3rd party? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3435735 - 12/02/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

In order to defeat the two party system a viable third party would have to appeal to appeal to a large cross section of people.

Exaclty. This country need 3 or more parties becase thats when real debate of issues will take place. It is alot harder to slander two people and protect yourself from 2 different attacks at the same time. Just look at the last election, neither canidate really said anything or stood for anything. They most in depth either ever went was I'm gonna privatize social security, or we need a gloabal coalition....with out actually describing their bullshit. With 3 or more viable parties our country will start to look like a republic instead of an oligaracy.

Quote:

I think that party is the prolife green party.

Me too because the Dem are in shambles and the left in this country is inherently divided. However, Libs got the most 3rd part votes last election. If it came to it I could see myself voting for a viable facist libertarian canindate just to break up the Rep party.

I think the best way to eat away at the 2 part system is elect local senators and govanors and house reps because then the 2 parties can't count on their own party members to vote for whatever their agenda is. It will give the 3rd parties more legitimicy. Shooting straight for the presidency is a lost cause. Anybody who buys into the "vote for 3rd party and the dem or reps will shift their values in that direction" is misguided in my opinion.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Edited by DirtMcgirt (12/02/04 07:05 AM)

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
    #3435932 - 12/02/04 03:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

fuck 3rd partys fuck dems and fuck republicans they are all part of the nwo
down with the system.
the only thing that will change if you try to change the system from within is you not the system

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: 3rd party? [Re: AhronZombi]
    #3435978 - 12/02/04 03:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

AhronZombi said:
the only thing that will change if you try to change the system from within is you not the system

i heartilly disagree

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
    #3436034 - 12/02/04 04:45 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

because the system owns you know

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: 3rd party? [Re: AhronZombi]
    #3436435 - 12/02/04 10:37 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

AhronZombi said:
because the system owns you know

Im sorry if this is flaming but I have to say it. You need to put some thought behind what you say. It seems like every post you make is about how the system owns everyone and how political leaders are nazis. Please use some common sense and at least back up what you say with some intelligence. Its getting really old and really annoying.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Anonymous

#3436602 - 12/02/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i have just recently become legal and started opening my eyes to politics. i am certainly for democracy, but a more social democracy than what is current. i do not like anything having to do with conservatism...

... wait until you finish opening them.  :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion