Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
some advice to newbs and novices like myself
    #3432050 - 12/01/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

greetings, mushroom friends.

i am a complete newb and this has been my first attempt to grow using rye grains. after months and months of reading and researching, i decided to take the plunge and attempt to grow and case using rye, rather than begin with the PF style cakes. i thought because i am an anal retentive and meticulous kind of guy i could handle the intricacies of the operation. i'm not sure yet what will happen--i just inoculated last night--but it has been quite the learning experience thus far. i am sure when it comes time (hopefully it WILL come time and all my jars won't get contaminated) to case and fruit i will gain more valuable knowledge.

thus the point of this post. if you are a novice like me and find yourself studiously reading, researching, and scouring the net for teks and tips and whatnot, just STOP all that and freakin do it. quit reading. quit studying. pick a tek and follow it to the T. it really doesn't help past a certain point to continue reading--it's overkill. teks make it sound SOOO easy. but when you actually do it you realize all the possible points during each step of the process at which something could go horribly wrong, and by that i mean contaminants getting into your jars or casings or incorrect moisture content, too low or too high a temperature, too little or not enough humidity, etc.

therefore, to my fellow newbs i say this: STOP and DO IT. just go out and buy the stuff and try your hand and growing. quit reading already! go!

the first time, as in life so in mushrooms, is enlightening. you'll see.

:mushroom2: :sun: :heart:

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: some advice to newbs and novices like myself [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3432056 - 12/01/04 11:32 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

AGREED! :laugh:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3432074 - 12/01/04 11:37 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

If you are going to give it a SERIOUS go. All American PC is BEST PC EVER. Bigger the better. Build (at least) a GLOVE BOX. Better yet a HEPA FILTERED FLOW HOOD. FIND HORSE MANURE. Learn WBS & G2G. Learn PH of casing is important.

--------------------

Invisiblejimi
Experienced
Male

Loc: Greenwood Memorial Park
    #3432080 - 12/01/04 11:39 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

good advice. no reason to read everything over and over and worry about which tek is best to use.

i read just about every last word on the shroomery multiple times, before i "took the plunge." of course the site was much smaller back then, so that was actually possible at the time.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3432086 - 12/01/04 11:42 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

i disagree. i read as many teks as i could find while i was testing my hand at cultivation. i was lucky enough to have friends that cultivated and gave me all the supplies i needed for my first go at it. while the jars were colonizing i read anything i could find on net about cultivation, and when i found the shroomery i just went wild and read everything in the faqs. although i learned things from cultivating that arnt in the teks, without the teks i would have been stumped, and i wouldnt have been successful. a good note is, my friends who already cultivated didnt even know about casing, but were fairly profiecient with cakes, they learned old school style from stuff they ordered via snail mail.

i agree as far as you need to try it out, but to say stop reading teks, dont, what else are you going to do? its not like the cultivation process needs your undivided attention 24/7. im still reading teks.

laughingbuddha: good luck with your first grow, you might wanna read more teks on casing, considering starting out with casing is more difficult then cakes... but i did it, so can you!

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Re: some advice to newbs and novices like myself [Re: agar]
    #3432091 - 12/01/04 11:44 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Agar all true, but I was almost buying petri dishes and agar etc, but never grew a single shroom yet. So I think 1 thing at a time, now I am really overloaded with info.

Already busy with rye, thinking of straw, thinking of that cool horsefield (for poo) where I pick my liberty caps and so on and so on.

aaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :crazy:

--------------------

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
Re: some advice to newbs and novices like myself [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3432121 - 12/01/04 11:55 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

amyloid, of course i didn't mean stop reading teks entirely! what i meant was, for novices like myself, at a certain point it's just overkill. there's no way on your first try that you can remember or even really understand all the intricacies of the many many steps in the process. what i mean is that after reading several teks, follow one or develop one of your own based upon the information in various teks--and then just DO IT. after you've done it, by all means, keep reading and studying. i am simply trying to motivate those who are contemplating their hand at growing to just commit to it and not worry about every detail in every tek. as you all can see there's a HUGE variation in methodology, equipment, and success rates. thus trying to grow is really, IMHO, the best possible course of action.

perhaps this is all obvious. if so, i digress.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Invisiblejimi
Experienced
Male

Loc: Greenwood Memorial Park
Re: some advice to newbs and novices like myself [Re: amyloid]
    #3432133 - 12/01/04 12:00 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

i understand what you're saying, but i took what he was saying as "quit thinking about growing and get busy doing it."

over the course of nearly a year, i read everything i could find on every mushroom site i came across. after i read all those teks, what did i do? i used the pf tek and things went perfectly. this wasn't because i read all those available teks that i didn't understand anyway. the pf tek was the first one i read. if i had just gotten to business when i first read it, i would have almost a whole extra year's worth of experience under my belt right now.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3432155 - 12/01/04 12:09 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

There is nothing like hands on experience . To get ones hands dirty is the best way to learning all the knowledge you absorbed in books etc ...

Patience is the toughest one because you cant touch it to learn it .
Growing mushies is not as tough as most make it sound !  :wink: And reading too much can overwhelm those who have zero patience .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Re: some advice to newbs and novices like myself [Re: tripndicular]
    #3432176 - 12/01/04 12:15 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Exactly, me was reading here while rye was simmering forgot the time. And the posts I read made me nervous etc.
But the stuff is so interesting to read thats true, but now I must say im inoculated info soaked info simmered, I must incubate!

Time for some shrooms! :P

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation